Togakure-ryu Ninpo Taijutsu Kihon DVD

M

mizu_teppo

Hello,

Quick question for the Toshindo students/instructors here (or anyone who's seen this particular DVD).

In regards to the Togakure-ryu Ninpo Taijutsu Kihon DVD.. are the techniques shown on this DVD really from Togakure-ryu? Or is Mr.Hayes pulling an oldie where things like Gyokko Ryu Koshijutsu and everything else get thrown under the Togakure-ryu name?

I saw that he has several "classical warrior art" DVD titles coverering other topics such as Koto Ryu, Gyokko ryu etc. So I'm assuming the Togakure-ryu DVD really does contain just Togakure-ryu techniques (and maybe a tad bit of gyokko ryu here and there, as to be expected in a 'kihon' DVD on this ryu)... but, just thought I'd inquire about it from those who have viewed the DVD already.

So anyone with some experienced insight on the contents of this DVD, as well as any comments, reviews etc. would be very much apreciated!

Thank you.

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would imagine it would be pretty hard to learn Togakure Ryu without already knowing Gyokko & Koto Ryu. In fact it was taught to me that Togakure Ryu was taught with the assumtion you already knew both ryu.

:ninja:
FN

OP
M

mizu_teppo

Fallen Ninja said:
I would imagine it would be pretty hard to learn Togakure Ryu without already knowing Gyokko & Koto Ryu. In fact it was taught to me that Togakure Ryu was taught with the assumtion you already knew both ryu.

FN

Um.. yes. And?

I guess for further clarification, if Mr.Hayes' Togakure ryu DVD is covering the "foundation" of togakure ryu (for instance, Gyokko ryu) then I'd be content sticking with Hatsumi-sensei's DVD kobudo no kihon and Ninja Art Vol.2 (The Foundation of Taijutsu). But if not, then I might be interested in viewing Mr.Hayes' DVD to get a difference perspective on the taijutsu of Togakure ryu.

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
The DVD covers the Ten Ryaku no Maki from the Tenchijin. Mr Hayes specifically mentions what has been said here, that gyokko and koto made up the majority of the togakure ryu ninja's physical combat.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having not seen it, can someone compare it to the old Hatsumi Togakure video?

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Having not seen it, can someone compare it to the old Hatsumi Togakure video?
I would imagine it would be cleaner and better sound. My Togakure video sounds horrible. ;)

Ones in DVD and the other is in AVI Format.

One has a case and a book (I believe) the other one has a CD case.

As far as content...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
I would imagine it would be cleaner and better sound. My Togakure video sounds horrible. ;)

Ones in DVD and the other is in AVI Format.

One has a case and a book (I believe) the other one has a CD case.

Thanks Smartguy. That was SOOOOO helpful. Whatever would I do without you... :whip:

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Thanks Smartguy. That was SOOOOO helpful. Whatever would I do without you... :whip:
Ha Ha Ha (lung?) Ha Ha

:rofl:

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
mizu_teppo said:
Hello,

Quick question for the Toshindo students/instructors here (or anyone who's seen this particular DVD).

In regards to the Togakure-ryu Ninpo Taijutsu Kihon DVD...

Well hello there. I have seen the togakure ryu dvd and it looks great. Basically mr. hayes explains the kamae's of the gykko and koto before the togakure ichimonji...kamae, Also he gives explanations of the modern to-shin-do applications. For example he teaches of the use of forearm and back of hand armor and why such techniques evolved in the way they did. He teaches san chin no kata, basic kihon happo techniques, muto dori taihenjutsu kata, postures, bowing, and many more techniqhes. I sugest buying it at www.skhquest.com and see for you're self. I have'nt seen hatsumi's dvd yet. The dvd it's great dough. Thanks :)

Latest Discussions