Today I bought one of my dream cars

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought a 69 Dodge Charger out of a junkyard in San Ysidro, CA in 1982 for $500. Drove the crap out of it until I was sent overseas in the Marines, sold it for the same $500 to a guy who took the Dana 60 rear end out of it and sold the rest back to the junkyard. In 1985, I bought another 69 Dodge Charger in Denver for $1200, drove it a couple years, sold it to my brother-in-law for $400 because he was hard up for cash and a way to get to work. He wrecked it.

I've always kind of kicked myself, but life goes on. Sadly, I will never again own a 69 Dodge Charger. I let both slip through my hands and now I can't even afford a burned out shell of one.
I realized I mis-spoke when I read your post. My Dart was a GTS, not a super sport. No such car.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In 88 I had a 71 Dodge Charger. The floor was rotting out and the guys riveted some sheet metal as a temporary fix, lasted a few more years until the winter salts wore away everything.

Sat in the yard for a year, I was planning on towing it away. Knock at the kitchen door, baby faced kid about 17 years old wants to buy it. A nice kid. I explain it's junk, he explains that almost everyone in his family is a mechanic or auto body guy and he's collecting a bunch of old Dodge Chargers to Frankenstein them together. I sell it to him for a buck and he has it towed away.

A couple years go buy and there's a knock at the door. It's the baby faced kid. I don't even remember him - until I look out the door behind him. There sits what looks like a brand new Dodge Charger from the cover of Road and Track magazine. It's Candy Apple Red - you could comb your hair in the reflection off the paint, he told me here were multiple coats highly buffed, it has all kinds of fancy pipes and chrome. The sucker looks brand new.

The kid points out every part that he salvaged from my particular car. He takes me for a ride. The growl the car makes when he starts it up gives me a woody. My God, what a beautiful fricken' car. Every single part looks brand new.

Never saw the kid again but I hope he's well. I really liked that kid. Loved the car he made.

Latest Discussions