to train boxing, found out I only have one kidney, what to do?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't have to spar there are programs that are non contact where you just drill and hit bags or you could do boxercise classes. I know they're kind laughed at on here but even though you wouldn't be getting as good technical advise you'd still be getting a workout and doing the basics of boxing. I know if i had something that stopped me doing proper training I'd absolutely go do boxercise I've done it before and they're a lot of fun and a great workout

Reactions: pdg

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
And those little fists of fury hurt. Smaller fist = more pressure.
I remember the one time i sparred a younger student. He was a cocky little.. You get the picture but he refused to wear any shin pads and started throwing 100% power into leg kick. I mean whatever wasn't bothering me I was just sparring at a light pace but he threw a hard kick I checked it and he got upset because my check hurt his leg and tried to get me in trouble but instructor just said hey your the one throwing that hard and refusing to wear the gear

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the one time i sparred a younger student. He was a cocky little.. You get the picture but he refused to wear any shin pads and started throwing 100% power into leg kick. I mean whatever wasn't bothering me I was just sparring at a light pace but he threw a hard kick I checked it and he got upset because my check hurt his leg and tried to get me in trouble but instructor just said hey your the one throwing that hard and refusing to wear the gear

Totally off subject here but Muay Thai leg blocks are brilliant against those annoying little kids who insist on kicking you, it looks like all you've done is lift your leg, nothing aggressive, and the kid hurts himself and starts crying. Parents don't think you did anything to their precious darlings though so all good. :cool:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had kidney ultrasounds practically every year for quite a long time due to a family history of poly cystic kidney disease. Every ultrasound was on my sides, not my back.
i think the location of the ultrasound has more to do with the angle of image they want rather than the actual location of the organ.

the kindneys are susceptible to punches and kicks that are more towards the back then the sides. they are illegal to punch at in boxing but thats not to say people dont target them. i would not worry too much about it in a boxing or karate type hobbyist environment. competition i would stay away from.

the problem with kidneys as opposed to other organs (exception being the brain) is they are damaged by impact and vibration.
i would advise anyone with any kidney issues STAY AWAY FROM THROWING ARTS. my aikido teacher passed away from kidney failure after transplants and long term dialysis due to the impact of constantly being thrown to the mat.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with having one kidney instead of two is if you damage it, you’re screwed. If that one stops working or you rupture it, you don’t have a backup.

Meh... not really. Most kidney injuries are far far short of the level of damage required to cause failure. In the vast majority of cases, if you injure it, you'll pee blood for a while, but it'll heal, like any other bruise. Even most kidney fractures (that's the correct term) don't result in long-term dysfunction.

That doesn't mean you should take the risk lightly, just that you should be aware.

Just curious, for anyone who knows:
  1. Is a kidney more vulnerable than other organs, i.e. easier to damage or have completely fail than other organs, such as the liver and stomach?
  2. Is kidney failure more dangerous than other organ failure (like liver)?
1. Not really. The most common organ injuries from blunt trauma are the liver and spleen. And those are almost exclusively cause by high-impact trauma, like a car crash.
2. Nope. For one thing, we can artificially duplicate the function of the kidney (dialysis), but we cannot duplicate the function of the liver.

YourS Must be in an odd place?

Or maybe his kidneys are exactly where they're supposed to be, and your understanding is odd?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh... not really. Most kidney injuries are far far short of the level of damage required to cause failure. In the vast majority of cases, if you injure it, you'll pee blood for a while, but it'll heal, like any other bruise. Even most kidney fractures (that's the correct term) don't result in long-term dysfunction.

That doesn't mean you should take the risk lightly, just that you should be aware.

1. Not really. The most common organ injuries from blunt trauma are the liver and spleen. And those are almost exclusively cause by high-impact trauma, like a car crash.
2. Nope. For one thing, we can artificially duplicate the function of the kidney (dialysis), but we cannot duplicate the function of the liver.

Or maybe his kidneys are exactly where they're supposed to be, and your understanding is odd?
They are most certainly not at the front side, you could reasonable say they are at the back side,. No one has ever been kidney punch at the front side, ever in the history of the world,

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are most certainly not at the front side, you could reasonable say they are at the back side,. No one has ever been kidney punch at the front side, ever in the history of the world,

Typical strawman. The statement was that the kidneys are vulnerable from the side, which is true.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Typical strawman. The statement was that the kidneys are vulnerable from the side, which is true.
No read the pOst, he said HIS kidneys were located at the front side, hence my observation that is an odd place to have them

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No read the pOst, he said HIS kidneys were located at the front side, hence my observation that is an odd place to have them

Maybe he's a transplant recipient.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
they generaly takes the old ones out and put the new ones in the same place, not just put another set in a the front

Have you ever heard the expression "better to be silent and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it."? You'd probably be better off not trying to explain medicine or human physiology to me. Given the number of years I've actually spent in college and grad school studying this stuff and all.

The old ones are generally not removed, unless there is a specific reason why they must be (like, say, a malignancy). The donor kidney (only one, not a pair...) is generally placed in the lower abdomen in the front.

280px-Kidtransplant.svg.png

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why then, do my mother, 6 of her siblings, 3 of my cousins, and a few non-relatives I know all have their kidney transplant incisions in the front?

Why did all the live donors (not everyone above had a live donor) have their kidney removed from the front?

The kidneys are more sensitive at the back, but that doesn’t mean that’s EXACTLY where they are. If you drew a midline on the side of someone’s body, it would go through the kidney. More of the kidney would be behind it than in front of it, but a decent amount would still be in front of it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said the ultrasounds were done on my flank; front-ish sides.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they generaly takes the old ones out and put the new ones in the same place, not just put another set in a the front
Nope. See Dirty Dog’s post. Both old ones are typically left in, and a new one is added. Of all the transplant patients I know (many in my family), my mother is the only one I personally know that had one removed. Her old kidney was as big as an American football (a little smaller than a rugby ball) and causing too many infections to be left in.

And no, I haven’t had a transplant nor have the genetic disease that my mother and her siblings have that require a transplant. I’ve seen more kidney stuff with them than I ever wanted to see and know.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is kidney damage really a concern? I have never heard of a boxer or fighter suffering damage from kidney...normally head trauma comes first

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is kidney damage really a concern? I have never heard of a boxer or fighter suffering damage from kidney...normally head trauma comes first

I'd say yes

If there is only one and there should be two as was intended then there has to be concern as no matter what remote the chances are if that gets popped then ...well life is going to become very different.

Yes ok it could have if walking down the street and a car whacks you or any other accident ...that is fate and not wholly in your control ...where as MA is in your control

An example (ok a bit cryptic)

You have the choice eat a cake or eat a handful of crushed glass .....

Well glass is certainly bad for you and will cause damage ....A cake will too as it not probably the healthy option really...

so what do you do ???

The answer after hearing the statements on each is ................................................... neither YOU have a choice it not being forced upon you ..............

thereby the OP has a choice it not essential he trains in boxing or any contact art ....but if choosing to then he accepts the risk and that risk however remote must be there ..........

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why then, do my mother, 6 of her siblings, 3 of my cousins, and a few non-relatives I know all have their kidney transplant incisions in the front?

Why did all the live donors (not everyone above had a live donor) have their kidney removed from the front?

The kidneys are more sensitive at the back, but that doesn’t mean that’s EXACTLY where they are. If you drew a midline on the side of someone’s body, it would go through the kidney. More of the kidney would be behind it than in front of it, but a decent amount would still be in front of it.
Has it occurred to you they put the incision other than where the kidney actually is ?, They cut low as other wise the rib cage gets in the way and round to wards the front as other wise they would have to Hack through the back muscle if they went In at the nearest point, certainly if they are the receiver of a kidney, they apparently stick at the front, so the scar will most likely be at the front

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the expression "better to be silent and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it."? You'd probably be better off not trying to explain medicine or human physiology to me. Given the number of years I've actually spent in college and grad school studying this stuff and all.

The old ones are generally not removed, unless there is a specific reason why they must be (like, say, a malignancy). The donor kidney (only one, not a pair...) is generally placed in the lower abdomen in the front.

280px-Kidtransplant.svg.png
Youl be telling me next that there are people walking round with two hearts

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it’s a concern, but not a major one. Working sports medicine in colleges, physicians would have a very hard time clearing athletes to play football. I think most other sports would be ok. I never had an athlete with one kidney, so I can’t say for certain.

There was a football player at Williams College a while ago who gave his twin brother a kidney. Doing so ended his career. The NCAA recognized him and gave him an award.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Youl be telling me next that there are people walking round with two hearts

Well, if you consider the number of people waiting for transplants who have an artificial heart supporting their natural heart, then sure. And although the heart is normally removed and replaced during a heart transplant, there is a variant on the procedure in which the new heart is a supplement rather than a replacement.

Latest Discussions