To the detractors of Pyung Ahn Sam Dan...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am getting a little tired of my fellow TSDist dissing this hyung. It is way cool. Once you understand its bunkai, that is... I wrote the following practicing the moves by my computer...

Pyung Ahn Sam Dan

It is much maligned and its applications aren't very good for point sparring, but hopefully this short breakdown will help increase some people's appreciation for this truly ingenious and unique form.

First of all, in order to understand this for, you've got to be able to understand grappling (tuite).

Starting with the opening sequence. The "double block" with the inside outside blocks and strikes is probably the coolest move in the form. Some applications include arm bars and elbow breaks (obvious), there is a neck break directly after the second move in the sequence where the punch to the dantien bends your opponent over, and then there is the fact that if you have any training in wing chun, the sequence pulls directly off the wooden man simultaneous block strike routines.

The first move down the middle (Ssang Soo Ahneso Pakuro Mahkee) is a close in double strike to the neck and solar plexus. It is immediately followed up by an insertion technique (chun kwan soo - the infamous "spearhand" that is never really a spearhand). The next move is sweet. Turning your feet into kyocharip jaseh the form shows that you put your hand on the small of your own back...the form is really showing you where you place your hand on your opponent. Meanwhile, the upper hand which is next to your upper right shoulder in a fist is showing you where to grab your opponent again. When you complete the spin into the "hammerfist" you have just performed a throw called ogoshi.

There, I have just interpreted half this form for everyone who don't like it. See, if these insights can help spur some thought on the other half and then post what you find...

upnorthkyosa

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! You sould make a video series on pyung ahn's with bunkai. That was cool. To be honest I didn't like that form, but now I do. I found that Taegeuk 7 (my fav form in TKD lately) has a lot of the same moves as pyung ahn sam dan. So to say I don't like pyung ahn sam dan now is stupid. Both forms are similar in some ways.

Y

Yossarian75

I think this form gets dissed just because it looks funny(the second half anyway), Pyung ahn sam dan AKA the funky chicken.

Ive been shown pretty much the same applications as you for the first half. The "chicken" bits in the second half can be wrist lock escapes and there is a headlock escape at the end. Im not very good at getting these applications to work, so dont practice them often.

Ive noticed a lot of similarities between the TSD and TKD forms seems to be the same moves mixed up a bit.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, it does look funny, that is for sure... :asian:

I've heard the following description for the second half's bunkai...

Guy stands behind dude who just stole his bar stool with his hands on his hips. He then uses an outside inside kick to remove him from his place and the backfist is actually guy grabbing his beer and chugging it. The next outside inside kick is for the guy's buddy who has come to the first guys aid. The backfist steals his beer and chugs it. And so on...

I told you it was a sweet form.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This sounds alot like my Shotokan Heian San Dan... does it end with an backwards elbow strike and a punch behind the head??

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
This sounds alot like my Shotokan Heian San Dan... does it end with an backwards elbow strike and a punch behind the head??

Yep, that's the one. I learned it first by that name when I took Shotokan long ago...

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I've seen the second part done with inside cresent kick, outside cresent kicks, and stomps...

Which do you use?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We use the outside crescent kick. I prefer stomps, though.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not to highjack this tread.....but....

I am looking at TSD to replace my Shotokan..

My instructor died in November..and there just isn't anything near..except TSD.

Could you give me some insite to the similarities, and differences?

Thanks

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, that would a great new thread...and it would draw the eyes of people that I know who post in this forum who cross train in Shotokan and Tang Soo Do. I'll start it. Check out this.

TSDMDK16485

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i agree with upnorthkyosa if these tsd practioners would only understand the applacations to not only pyung ahn -sam dan but all pyung ahn hyungs and the rest of the hyungs with-in the art they would learn the improtance of every hyung that dojunim put into the art....

L

Llarion

Detractors? Strange. This and oh-dan are my favorites by far, they are so intense, so guttural. I'm working on Bassai now, and it's not nearly as much fun; it seems more, well, "delicate"...

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I myself like the the third form in the Pyong Ahn series. The differences between the Shotokan and TSD are very eviden in this form especially in the first 4 moves. TSD utilizes alot more hip motion in the double blocks then Shotokan and shows that there are indeed grappling moves and throws here.

All in my opinion of course

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Old thread, but could someone explain to me why Korean stylists have the jump at the end? In between the combination elbow and hook punch to the rear on left and then right sides?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old thread, but could someone explain to me why Korean stylists have the jump at the end? In between the combination elbow and hook punch to the rear on left and then right sides?

Ah yes! I've wondered that and I can't see why, I suspect it's to make it different from the Wado and Shotokan versions which don't have the jump!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah yes! I've wondered that and I can't see why, I suspect it's to make it different from the Wado and Shotokan versions which don't have the jump!

I think it looks ridiculous but if there's a good reason for it, I'm all ears. <shrugs> Those three hops at the end of Shotokan Chinte look pretty stupid too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it looks ridiculous but if there's a good reason for it, I'm all ears. <shrugs> Those three hops at the end of Shotokan Chinte look pretty stupid too.[/quote]

Now that I have an explanation for courtesy of Iain Abernethy! No they have no use other than he reckons that some people think a kata should finish where it starts, this kata doesn't so if you do three hops it does! seriously, that's what he thinks its for and if he can't find a use for it I'm betting no one can! it's a serious explanation for something we all found silly especially when he demo'd the 'hops'! Why a kata should stop where it starts he has no reason for.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why a kata should stop where it starts he has no reason for.

Japanese fetish for organization. Korean systems like it too (beginning and ending at the same spot).

Lots of Chinese or Okinawan forms don't repeat actions on the other size (or if they do, they sometimes do it in triples so are unbalance), so it can be common for their forms to end somewhere else than it started.

Latest Discussions