To stick or not to stick

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem with this is you believe that drills must be "realistic", which is not the case.
Between WC sticky hand training and sparring, there should be another training that can be "partner drill training".

sticky hand -> partner drill -> sparring

The

- sticky hand is to develop sensitive.
- partner drill is to develop technique.
- sparring is to test technique.

Example of "partner drill" can be as simple as groin kick, face punch combo.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ This is exactly how it is done in Pin Sun Wing Chun!.......solo set....two man partner drill....chi sau....san sau

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^^^ This is exactly how it is done in Pin Sun Wing Chun!.......solo set....two man partner drill....chi sau....san sau

We do this in my lineage (WT derived) through our Lat Sau sets and Chi-sau "sections".

From what I can see, our "Lat Sau" is essentially san sik like what you demonstrated in Pin Sun WC.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah...we just call them drills.
Then work to pulloff the drill actions within Chi Sao.
Then we freelance the attacks at about 20-30% (light technical sparring) and finally 70-75% sparring.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you turn chi sao into some sort of half game half sparring match, that is the only thing you're going to be good at.

And if you leave it as sensitivity only, you will get to feel everything as you are repeatedly punched in the head.

Reading your posts, it's clear you don't view chi sao and sparring as a progression, where both sides give and take from each other. So - how do you get good at physical combat response?

Your story of the guy who believes he's being more real by not learning technique deeply before taking the training wheels off seems to be a personal problem, it's not part of the method.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And if you leave it as sensitivity only, you will get to feel everything as you are repeatedly punched in the head
I stated in previous posts there are exchanges of techniques in chi sao, it's not just two students moving their arms without purpose. The purpose of Chi Sao is to gain sensitivity and learn to respond both defensively and offensively, that includes getting "punched in the head" as you put it. What I disagree with is when people turn in into full on sparring, use any techniques(sweeps, throws, locks, etc) and when they sacrifice form and structure for touches. I use the term touches because a lot of WC guys think all touches in Chi Sao would be valid strikes, which isn't the case. Some touches are at very awkward angles and are delivered with no alignment behind it.

Reading your posts, it's clear you don't view chi sao and sparring as a progression, where both sides give and take from each other. So - how do you get good at physical combat response?
I've stated incorporating Chi Sao into sparring is how you go about it, that's what drills are for. Being able to apply Chi Sao against a live opponent in sparring is the end goal, but this requires a lot of skill. If you're only good at Chi Sao but horrible at sparring then you're not bridging the gap. I think this is the reason why a lot of Wing Chun guys have a difficult time closing the distance.

Your story of the guy who believes he's being more real by not learning technique deeply before taking the training wheels off seems to be a personal problem, it's not part of the method.
Exactly, it's not suppose to be part of the method, but he thinks it is. Meaning if he had his own school he would teach it his way, not the way it's supposed to be. That's why a lot of Chi Sao looks so bad, no frame, structure nor technique.