To learn Mandarin..or Cantonese? Which one?

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know those are the two major forms of chinese, but which one is the most popular? I'm interested in trying to learn some so I can both communicate with some of my co-workers on the DL and also because China is gonna be one of those major players in the world market. Could you guys help me out with the decision? I want to learn the one that will give me the most ability to communicate with more people.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the more common one is obviously mandrin since it's the official chiinese language. even hong kong(nese) people have to learn it from now on.

obviously you will be able to communicate with MORE people if you learn mandarin. but you probably will not be able to communicate with the great martial arts masters of hong kong for example!

my opinion: if you are into yelling then learn cantonese. if you are into talking and poems then learn mandarin.

good luck

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In California, more speak cantonese, but it is much harder to learn than mandarin. Cantonese has about 13 tonal inflections, while mandarin has about 7.

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm....well looks like I will just need to do a little more research XD.

Cantonese ya I can see that, but hmm.....

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Hmmm....well looks like I will just need to do a little more research XD.

Cantonese ya I can see that, but hmm.....

just go to china town in SF cuss in both languages
and make sure you count the hits and beats then you can decide which is spoken more

i say madarin is spoken more than cantonese in california (at least socal)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mantis said:
i say madarin is spoken more than cantonese in california (at least socal)

could be true. I think here in SF it is Cantonese, at least that is what I have been lead to understand.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I know those are the two major forms of chinese, but which one is the most popular? I'm interested in trying to learn some so I can both communicate with some of my co-workers on the DL and also because China is gonna be one of those major players in the world market. Could you guys help me out with the decision? I want to learn the one that will give me the most ability to communicate with more people.

Hey Beau!

You could ask your co-workers what language they speak? Since this is part of your goal is to chat with them. :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Hey Beau!

You could ask your co-workers what language they speak? Since this is part of your goal is to chat with them. :)
or maybe he wants to learn a language they dont speak so he can say whatever he wants without making them mad!

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have students that live with me who are from China and Taiwan and I just ran this by them and they said Mandarin is spoken mainly in China and Taiwan. However, they also said it's good to know both.

Bill Shovan

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:

Dude, just learn whichever is the easiest, thats what I would do.