TMA Stances compared with snapshots from MMA

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
While Chinese medicine got some things right, They got a lot of things wrong. Starting with Arsenic and Mercury to prolong life. Which doctors in the middle ages knew that arsenic was deadly, so sugar was going to be best guess easily.

Doctors in the middle ages didn't invent the miracle of kung fu. It's entirely empirical, if somewhat metaphorical and symbolic rather than logical. In fact why even call it "Chinese". It's universal. Viral.

The Jow Ga tradition contains all good stuff when it comes to diet and medicine. No mercury or arsenic.

There are even rules about which Jow to drink and not to drink. Hopefully you get the correct instruction.. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Jow Ga diet traditions, and offer them freely to you to my last note.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When people ask you what stance that they should use in fighting, if you start to drag them around in circle. They will never ask you that question again.

Old saying said, "You may not find any opportunity to attack. As long as you keep moving, soon or later, you will find that opportunity". The key point is "keep moving". When you are moving, stance has no meaning to you.

wang-drag.gif

SC-circle-running-2.gif

o co
To me, stances are about learning to control structure. If they're learned properly, the principles work in movement to maintain/regain control.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There may be people who hold the belief that the specific diet of the people who developed a physical skillset is the proper diet for anyone who wishes to practice that skillset. I find that position to be unsupportable.

There are many diets from every culture around the globe that are high quality diets and are appropriate for physical and athletic endeavors of any kind. These diets typically include lots of vegetables, fruits, limited meat especially red meat, limited carbs and sweets/refined sugars. And we can acknowledge that there are lots of low quality food items including highly processed foods, candy, etc., things that ought to be avoided in the diet. None of that is a mystery.

I don’t need to eat a specific Chinese or Cantonese diet to maximize my kung fu training.

My research showed that.
  1. Natural Sugar was the norm in the diet during those times
  2. Refined sugar was only for the rich it was not easily accessible to the poor
  3. Candy back then is not the same as the candy that we eat. Modern candy didn't come about until after the industrialization of sugar refinement in the mid 1600's
  4. It was so rare in Europe in the middle ages that a 6 pound bag of refined sugar represented all of the Sugar in Europe.
  5. Even after the refinement of Sugar Many Chinese still used natural sugar like honey and sugar cane. My guess is that it wasn't by choice, they just couldn't afford the refined sugar.
I didn't bother to try to research Kung Fu and Sugar because many kung fu practioners wouldn't be able to afford it. So from that perspective they wouldn't be eating it, not because they knew it was bad for them, but because they couldn't afford it. We can't eat what we don't have access to.

Yes, "they" did.

In the European sense, maybe. Not worldwide. They conquered nations to steal other nations' sugar. Sad, but true.

There may be people who hold the belief that the specific diet of the people who developed a physical skillset is the proper diet for anyone who wishes to practice that skillset. I find that position to be unsupportable.

There are many diets from every culture around the globe that are high quality diets and are appropriate for physical and athletic endeavors of any kind. These diets typically include lots of vegetables, fruits, limited meat especially red meat, limited carbs and sweets/refined sugars. And we can acknowledge that there are lots of low quality food items including highly processed foods, candy, etc., things that ought to be avoided in the diet. None of that is a mystery.

I don’t need to eat a specific Chinese or Cantonese diet to maximize my kung fu training.

You know what I read, guys?

I read that back in ancient China, Kung Fu Masters ate sugar with either hand.

They were ambidextrose.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Something is definitely good for your health.

Here are seven possible benefits of the goji berry with the scientific evidence supporting them:
  • Protects the eyes. ...
  • Provides immune system support. ...
  • Protects against cancer. ...
  • Promotes healthy skin. ...
  • Stabilizes blood sugar. ...
  • Improves depression, anxiety, and sleep. ...
  • Prevents liver damage.
  • goji-berries.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say a low sugar, low carb Paleolithic diet rich in fish oils and dark green plants, low in inflammatory chemicals and especially sweets
See this is where my understanding of history and that Paleolithic diet doesn't match. So let's get a reality. Check.
This is supposed to be a Paleolithic Man who some how knows about proper diet and inflammatory chemicals. I'm just saying. That dude in the picture probably didn't care all about this diet stuff that you just mention. My guess is that he ate whatever he could when he could find it. Probably not picky. I mean homeless people who live out the street aren't picky. His physical build is simply from the fact that he had to do everything by hand. Lift, push, pull, build, what you see is what he did it with. Talk about getting steps in. This dude probably walked everywhere. You know what he probably didn't care about? Refined sugar (which wasn't invented) but If I go back in time and hand him a candy bar or a doughnut. I bet you'll he'll eat it. So when people say how great his diet was. My response is. Go out in the middle of the Jungle or on the African plains, with some shorts, no food, no water, and a stick. And you'll get to experience a true Paleolithic diet. You know what else you'll experience. Real hunger. The type of hunger that will make you pick up a grub or worm off the ground and eat it raw, because you don't know when you'll find your next meal. The last thing you are going to think about is how sugar affects your body.
he-looks-pretty-good-for-his-age.jpeg

Now lets take a look at how long people lived back then.
"The Stone Age began about 2.5 million years ago, when inventive proto-humans first began to make stone tools. The bulk of it, and by far the longest period (so far) in human history, is known as the Paleolithic Period or Old Stone Age. People who experienced it were lucky to live beyond their twenties, and they ate whatever they could get their hands on, which meant – depending on who and where you were – anything from grubs to nettles to armadillos." source: Prehistoric Dining: The Real Paleo Diet

"It all sounds thinning and healthy—the sort of meal plan a lot of us make unlikely resolutions about after the second glass of champagne on New Year’s Eve. The problem, though, is that the modern paleo diet is not what Paleolithic people—the real-life originals of Fred and Wilma—actually ate." Source: Prehistoric Dining: The Real Paleo Diet

Wow. So national Geographic says that the modern paleo diet is not what Paleolithic people actually ate. I'm not surprise. Not sure if you have ever been camping in the woods, but do you know how difficult it is to find Nuts that are edible? I went camping in the Blue Ridge mountain for 4 days. Did not come across one tree with nuts or berries. My guess is those things don't grow on trees year round so depending on what the season is, you don't get those things. Lots of leaves though provided that you don't eat one that is toxic.

So what did they eat? Here's some of what they ate.
"Ancient tomatoes were the size of berries; potatoes were no bigger than peanuts. Corn was a wild grass, its tooth-cracking kernels borne in clusters as small as pencil erasers. Cucumbers were spiny as sea urchins; lettuce was bitter and prickly. Peas were so starchy and unpalatable that, before eating, they had to be roasted like chestnuts and peeled. The sole available cabbage—the great-great-granddaddy of today’s kale, kohlrabi, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower—was sea kale, a tough and tongue-curling leafy weed that grew along the temperate sea coasts. Carrots were scrawny. Beans were naturally laced with cyanide."
Source: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/food/the-plate/2014/04/22/prehistoric-dining-the-real-paleo-diet/#close

So when people talk Paleolithic diet. I'm like hell naw I pass. Thanks, but no thanks. Probably why they rarely lived beyond their 20's that plus, lack of medicine to fight off infections, bad drinking water, disease, and animals that would pick them off during the night as they sleep, and eating toxic food.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Jow Ga tradition contains all good stuff when it comes to diet and medicine.
We can't even get to this point because your historical references about food is off. Now as far as what is considered Jow Ga tradition in terms of food. I have no say in that. But that other stuff, just isn't matching timeline. If you wanted to talk about Jow Ga diet then you probably should have start off with that. But when the food history comes into play people can actually research that vs something that was handed down. And I'm not trying to be mean or anything. But everything I've posted so far has been related to food history and lifestyle history based on the history before industrialize sugar.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who here hasn't eaten and entire watermelon all by themselves?
I have never eaten an entire watermelon by myself. The first question that comes to my mind is "Why??" Why would I eat 22 pounds of anything?

I don't know about anyone else here. But that's not even realistic for me. It's probably not realistic for anyone to eat unless their stomach can handle all of that fiber and water.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
(surviving the Paleolithic age, especially in central Asia
"The second error in premise is perhaps even more significant. The caveman diet is a great diet if you want to live to be 30 or 35 years old. That was the adult life expectancy until very, very recently (indeed, it wasn’t until well after the advent of agriculture that life expectancies began to rise—in agricultural communities!). We know this from skeletal evidence. Individuals older than 40 at death are very rare in the Palaeolithic record."
Source:
"The Truth About the Caveman Diet"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read that back in ancient China, Kung Fu Masters ate sugar with either hand.

They were ambidextrose.
One good turns deserves another. Probably not. "It's not that there are fewer people born left-handed in China or necessarily that there are negative attitudes about lefties there. It's just that being left-handed is especially impractical." "But China is hardly alone in this. Elsewhere in the world there are still very strong cultural stigmas against left-handedness. In many Muslim parts of the world, in parts of Africa as well as in India, the left hand is considered the dirty hand and it's considered offensive to offer that hand to anyone, even to help. The discrimination against lefties goes back thousands of years in many cultures, including those of the West."
Source: Why Are There So Few Lefties in China?

Probably why most forms are heavy right hand to learn with, then practice left hand if you feel like it lol. Sometime in my life. I was told the left hand was the one you wiped your butt with and the right hand was the one you kept clean. Oh when I say wipe your butt with I mean without tissue lol. my personal thoughts is that they ate sugar using these They have been around since 1952 and Turns out Koolaid sticks have been around since 1930. Google is scary..lol

tropical-pixy-sticks-1B.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Something is definitely good for your health.

Here are seven possible benefits of the goji berry with the scientific evidence supporting them:
  • Protects the eyes. ...
  • Provides immune system support. ...
  • Protects against cancer. ...
  • Promotes healthy skin. ...
  • Stabilizes blood sugar. ...
  • Improves depression, anxiety, and sleep. ...
  • Prevents liver damage.
  • goji-berries.jpg
I was going to buy a goji plant once. Too lazy at the moment to see if it's a tree or bush. I just know I they were sold with black berry bush I bought 2 years ago lol. Never had one, so I don't know how it tastes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This video perfectly tracks this conversation. For what it's worth, we're currently at about 2:40 into the video.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have never eaten an entire watermelon by myself. The first question that comes to my mind is "Why??" Why would I eat 22 pounds of anything?

I don't know about anyone else here. But that's not even realistic for me. It's probably not realistic for anyone to eat unless their stomach can handle all of that fiber and water.
Talk about great memories. I don't know if I ever ate an entire watermelon, but I'm sure I tried. I'd grind through a quarter of one, no problem. Fresh watermelon and cantaloupe out of my grandma's garden.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Talk about great memories. I don't know if I ever ate an entire watermelon, but I'm sure I tried. I'd grind through a quarter of one, no problem. Fresh watermelon and cantaloupe out of my grandma's garden.
ha ha ha.. I think you should go for it. Eat a whole one lol.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
See this is where my understanding of history and that Paleolithic diet doesn't match. So let's get a reality. Check.
This is supposed to be a Paleolithic Man who some how knows about proper diet and inflammatory chemicals. I'm just saying. That dude in the picture probably didn't care all about this diet stuff that you just mention. My guess is that he ate whatever he could when he could find it. Probably not picky. I mean homeless people who live out the street aren't picky. His physical build is simply from the fact that he had to do everything by hand. Lift, push, pull, build, what you see is what he did it with. Talk about getting steps in. This dude probably walked everywhere. You know what he probably didn't care about? Refined sugar (which wasn't invented) but If I go back in time and hand him a candy bar or a doughnut. I bet you'll he'll eat it. So when people say how great his diet was. My response is. Go out in the middle of the Jungle or on the African plains, with some shorts, no food, no water, and a stick. And you'll get to experience a true Paleolithic diet. You know what else you'll experience. Real hunger. The type of hunger that will make you pick up a grub or worm off the ground and eat it raw, because you don't know when you'll find your next meal. The last thing you are going to think about is how sugar affects your body.
he-looks-pretty-good-for-his-age.jpeg

Now lets take a look at how long people lived back then.
"The Stone Age began about 2.5 million years ago, when inventive proto-humans first began to make stone tools. The bulk of it, and by far the longest period (so far) in human history, is known as the Paleolithic Period or Old Stone Age. People who experienced it were lucky to live beyond their twenties, and they ate whatever they could get their hands on, which meant – depending on who and where you were – anything from grubs to nettles to armadillos." source: Prehistoric Dining: The Real Paleo Diet

"It all sounds thinning and healthy—the sort of meal plan a lot of us make unlikely resolutions about after the second glass of champagne on New Year’s Eve. The problem, though, is that the modern paleo diet is not what Paleolithic people—the real-life originals of Fred and Wilma—actually ate." Source: Prehistoric Dining: The Real Paleo Diet

Wow. So national Geographic says that the modern paleo diet is not what Paleolithic people actually ate. I'm not surprise. Not sure if you have ever been camping in the woods, but do you know how difficult it is to find Nuts that are edible? I went camping in the Blue Ridge mountain for 4 days. Did not come across one tree with nuts or berries. My guess is those things don't grow on trees year round so depending on what the season is, you don't get those things. Lots of leaves though provided that you don't eat one that is toxic.

So what did they eat? Here's some of what they ate.
"Ancient tomatoes were the size of berries; potatoes were no bigger than peanuts. Corn was a wild grass, its tooth-cracking kernels borne in clusters as small as pencil erasers. Cucumbers were spiny as sea urchins; lettuce was bitter and prickly. Peas were so starchy and unpalatable that, before eating, they had to be roasted like chestnuts and peeled. The sole available cabbage—the great-great-granddaddy of today’s kale, kohlrabi, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower—was sea kale, a tough and tongue-curling leafy weed that grew along the temperate sea coasts. Carrots were scrawny. Beans were naturally laced with cyanide."
Source: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/food/the-plate/2014/04/22/prehistoric-dining-the-real-paleo-diet/#close

So when people talk Paleolithic diet. I'm like hell naw I pass. Thanks, but no thanks. Probably why they rarely lived beyond their 20's that plus, lack of medicine to fight off infections, bad drinking water, disease, and animals that would pick them off during the night as they sleep, and eating toxic food.

So what you're saying is your better?

Prove it.