TKD Weapons

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
The purpose isn't to KO. It is to win by the rules

Once again I will send you to that article I quoted from the WTF rule book. The Section entitled decisions, the first way to win is by knockout. How can you say to win by the rules isn't to win by KO, when it is specifically in the handbook?

OP
B

Bagatha

Ya another name for those tournaments is "open" tournaments lol.

OP
F

fissure

Oh please, Olympic sparring is A JOKE. Have you even watched it on the Olympics? They did NOT practice full contact. Yet, there were no 100% kicks at all. Reason why? It would be a waste of energy. You don't need a lot of power to score
I have personnaly fought two former Olympic team members.I have taken gold at state, and twice made quater finals at USTU nationals.
Your statements are wrong.For a tech. to score it must produce "trembling shock' to the opponent. K.O. is the # 1 thing on a national level competitors mind during a fight. Only when one is "up" near the end of the third round does playing defence become a usable stratagy - this is no different than a boxer "running" in the last round to take a win on points.

However, full contact means ALL OUT and almost NO limitations. Plus, you can use elbows, knees, and grapple. That is not Olympic TKD. It says it's full-contact in the rules but it's anything but. If you know how it goes, it's by a point system. Full-contact sparring, the winner is determined by submission or a KO. KO's rarely did happen if at all in the last Olympics.
Full contact simply meens hitting with all of ones power.Elbows, knees and grappling make the sparring 'no holds barred', no one to my knowlegde has ever made the claim that Olympic TKD was no holds barred fighting.
Indeed there is a point system in place.This again is no different than boxing or MT. If K.O. doesn't occur, then a win is awarded by points - does this somehow make the contact less?

The purpose isn't to KO. It is to win by the rules. Nobody is going to fight standing on one leg with the other one chambered for a kick when the guy moves in.
This is a method often seen in point ( no contact) stlye of tournaments.It has never been a method used in WTF/USTU type sparring. Is it possible that you have been refering to ITF competition?
It should go with out saying that to compare a sport, wether it be point sparring or contact ( to what ever degree) sparring with a self defence only type style is pointless.They are totally different activities.Self defence takes up approx. 50% of my classes. Sparring, poomse and such are the other 50 %.Many dojang offer no self defence at all, this is ( to me at least) - not a good thing. You offer no tournament competiton at all.If your students like it this way -great! I have found many people like to be offered both, I don't see a problem with this!

Latest Discussions