TKD sparring...

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zepp
I study Tae Kwon Do under the World Tae Kwon Do Association. We actually do non-contact sparring, similar to some Karate styles. We actually have several people in our class that have practiced full contact sparring under the the WTF or in kickboxing, and they prefer our style because it seems more practical to them.

In class, we don't worry so much about keeping track of points, but points are effectively determined by whether or not a technique came close enough to a target (as in millimeters), wasn't blocked or checked, and obviously had enough power behind it to stun someone or break a bone. Needless to say, getting an actual "score" isn't made easy.

I don't mean to say that non-contact sparring is superior than full-contact, but it has its advantages. For one thing, without wearing pads, you certainly learn to throw good, solid blocks- as opposed to letting the pads soak it up for you.

-Zepp

Sure, non-contact sparring is good for working on your various offensive and defensive techniques without getting hurt, (just like poomse), and WTF rules sparring is good for spreading the sporting aspect of our art. But, these don't represent the real world. And I accept that as one of the features of modern TKD. In addition, if I can expand on this a little further, I think it's one of the reasons why some of the other style MA practitioners have little respect for our Art.

We (and not speaking for other organizations) are so sport oriented. And, we also have our quick belt promotions and the expectation to move up the MA ladder so rapidly. BB in 2 years! :shrug:

Unfortunately, there are some TKD BBs who don't really deserve their rank because they did rise up through the easy thread-mill, crank them out dojangs. However, not all of us came up that way. As a WTF affiliated practitioner and occassional tourney competitor, I do enjoy the competitive full contact sporting aspect, but, more importantly I prefer the traditional self-defensive components of traditional military TKD. I would just like my Art to be more practical and reflective of the real life possible encounters and dangers where you're forced to fully react.

If one is ever caught in a real life threatening encounter there are simply no rules, and non-contact rules are certainly non-existent. Excuse my indulgence, this is just my take... :asian:

OP
F

fissure

Are you serious? BB in two yrs?? Do you actually know of such "schools", or is it one of those, " you know what I heard" kinnda things?

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Marginal,

Your not having a terrible time detecting my humor. You are having a time detecting my TERRIBLE humor. :) Go check out the BS I made up over at the "More no touch KOs" thread. I've sunk pretty low over there and I think I have some people wondering if I am serious. :)

Zepp,

My "Tastes great/less filling" stance is not to say that no contact is not useful. It is. If I am practicing self defense throat strikes, no contact is essential. During strikes to generally less mortal areas, I must see/feel some contact. I have had and seen sparring matches where a kick or punch were brought to full extension, with no more reach, and come up short by an inch or two. The sparring partner says "good shot" thinking that extra control/caution was being used when in actuality contact could not have been made. Sometimes the guy executing the strike gets into the habit of pulling short at full extension on purpose. This causes unrealistic "distancing development" and the ability to penetrate a target when needed is not being realistically developed. I know.....what about the self defense throat strikes then! In that case the motion is stopped at the end of the movement and both parties can readily see the slack in the joint of the striking arm showing contact was inevitable if follow through was initiated. A continuous sparring match on the other hand would not have those pauses after strikes to check distance and the slack of the striking limb or the rotation left in the attacking stance. You could both be pawing air for two minutes and neither one might know what moves were street useable and what were not! If you are doing one and three step sparring then my argument would not be applicable due to the "stop and check" available. Continuous free sparring is different. I have kids coming to my school brought by DISGRUNTLED parents. They get some "no contact free sparring" from one of the local "McDojangs" and their ability to judge distance is so warped, that at first they can't make contact in free sparring even when the opportunity is presented. The parents are seeing false confidence being nurtured at that facility/ies. They then switch to me. It takes work to instill proper timing and judgement back into their motor skills. That isn't good. I'm not saying proper development can't be had with no contact, but the deck is stacked against people when trying.

Comments?
white belt

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by fissure
Do you actually know of such "schools", or is it one of those, " you know what I heard" kinnda things?

Unfortunately yes! Those type of guys wouldn't make a good green belt. However I knew of one person that trained 6 hrs. a day and he was phenominal. He moved through the belts very quickly but his skill level was awesome. So it can actually work both ways but not much usually for the good.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
cali_tkdbruin, jfarnsworth, and white belt,

I completely agree with you about the problem of so many McDojangs existing in TKD. I think it's just the inevitable fate of "the most widely practiced martial art in the world."

About judging distance, that's the responsibilty of the instructor to make sure that the students actually have a clue. In the WTA, we spar continuously, and we're not supposed to keep any slack in our arm or leg on a strike (unless your too close to get a full extension). And I'm told that according to most tournament rules in our organization, getting a "score" has to be pretty obvious.

I think the best rule to abide by for training purposes is: "if you think you may have hit, you didn't; if you think you might have blocked it in time, you didn't either."

As far as non-contact vs. contact sparring overall, I think the best training combination is to do both. I have trained in full-contact sparring as well, and I've found that many people from other styles who were supposed to be at my same level couldn't match me for control or intensity. I'm not trying to brag (well, maybe I am a little), but I attribute that our style.

Latest Discussions