Tkd by video

Gt85

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,I was wondering what anybody knew about kukkiwonblackbelt
.com(their faq page links don't work),and taekwonwoo? I live in a place where the closest to dojo is an HR.and fifteen mins. Away,so do you trust either one of those sites as far as earn a first Dan black belt. By the way 10 years ago I earned my black belt in a hybrid style which was in a brick and mortar dojo but since then I have move 2 plus hr. Away and the class shut down.i tried doing wtf tkd when I was a kid but didn't have the discipline to stick with it,but now I have a hole in my heart that misses the style..any comments..thanks

OP
G

Gt85

White Belt
Reaction score
Whoops the site is kukkiwonblackbelt.com,aka kukkiwon u.s.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Never heard of it, but I travel an hour andca half each day to work and used to travel 2 hours to tkd classes twice a week for a number of years.

If your not willing to put in a little travel time effort, what makes you think you will have the effort to benefit from a video?

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of learning by video. Most people lack the discipline to stick with it.

A live instructor can identify and correct errors in your technique you likely won't notice yourself. If you incorrectly practice a technique, that bad muscle memory will be difficult to undo in the future.

Another issue with videos is how many bad ones there are out there. And even the good ones (ie - proper forms) often have fine details that aren't obvious, or are intentionally not shown.

You'd also have to have a friend to train with if you want to develop any skills against another person. Perhaps if you find some other interested people in your area, you could start a small training group to help each other out.

Good luck.

OP
G

Gt85

White Belt
Reaction score
Never heard of it, but I travel an hour andca half each day to work and used to travel 2 hours to tkd classes twice a week for a number of years.

If your not willing to put in a little travel time effort, what makes you think you will have the effort to benefit from a video?
,hi i taught in a brick and mortar dojo the style of taekwondo/kyokushin and I earned first degree blackbelt at age 23,and trust and believe every test and class was hardcore, my intructors instructors is master Monique Washington who has her own dojo in Maryland called Washingtons karate for girls, it's a all women and girl dojo,so it took me 8 years to get to black belt along with college and at the time working 7 days a week so I've been there done that. My instructor club shut down a few years after I moved away.so yes I do have the discipline.also me and my training partner took tkd before and it was so costly with gas and driving 1 hr and 15 one way it got rediculous money wise.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok.

Personally I take the approach of training in whatever I can and finding the common ground that makes it an extension of the art I hold as foundation.

In other words any class is better than video.

What is it you want to learn from a god class post black belt?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.com(their faq page links don't work),and taekwonwoo? I live in a place where the closest to dojo is an HR.and fifteen mins. Away,so do you trust either one of those sites as far as earn a first Dan black belt. By the way 10 years ago I earned my black belt in a hybrid style which was in a brick and mortar dojo but since then I have move 2 plus hr. Away and the class shut down.i tried doing wtf tkd when I was a kid but didn't have the discipline to stick with it,but now I have a hole in my heart that misses the style..any comments..thanks

I used to drive an hour and thirty minutes to meet with my instructor about twice a month. In between I trained at a guest school and worked out with some old videos my teacher made to help out.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, it's always always always much much much better to practice in a brick-and-mortar school. But if for some reason you have to practice at home alone, it doesn't make any sense to pay somebody for that privilege. There are tons of good instructional videos on YouTube and other good Internet content that's all completely free. Why pay somebody online when there's already so much free content available?

So whether you're talking about kukkiwonblackbelt.com or taekwonwoo.net or any of the other "pay to play" Web-based taekwondo courses, I'd save your money and spend it on a good heavy-bag to hang in your home, and other home equipment. That's a much better investment of your hard-earned dough.

Also, if you really must practice at home, I would consider finding some friends to practice with. Scouring the internet you'll find tons of good, free content -- but here's some to get you started: Taekwondo Wikia Online Training (WTF)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've seen some of the Taekwonwoo videos on youtube and thought they seemed pretty good, but video training is not ideal. Could you drive the 1.25 hours a couple times a month, and then practice at home the rest of the month? That way you have someone to evaluate your progress as you go and make corrections, and you get to train and spar with other people.

I can list a few other Youtube channels I like, when I have time. Gotta go!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
.com(their faq page links don't work),and taekwonwoo? I live in a place where the closest to dojo is an HR.and fifteen mins Away,/QUOTE]
When I started with the ATA, I was overseas. When the contract ended and I came back home, the nearest ATA school to me (at that time) was 51.3 miles away. I made class at least three days a week.

Nothing beats training with a live instructor. Videos might be nice to refresh your memory, but they can't give you on-the-spot feedback.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, it's always always always much much much better to practice in a brick-and-mortar school.
I disagree. Personally I find it more productive in many ways to practice by myself at a gym with a mirror, doing whatever I want, however many times I want. I don't find schools tend to be very specific on feedback, likely due to class size and not being demoralising. When people say I have a good spinning hook kick, it has nothing to do with the school. that was me taking an extended break from the school and pracitsing by myself with my BOB. I looked at GNT's videos and other videos, to try different things and just practised (my bad side in particular).

As for videos, I agree with GNT and Kwonkicker. Not a big Alex Wong fan. She seems nice and all, but I think she is more of an average athlete (as am I), compared to GNT and Kwonkicker who are much better than average. I do appreciate that she is posting though.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I should add: I think the ideal way to improve is like any academic schooling: go to class, then do exercises and drills on your own.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I got to take a sparring seminar from Phillip Yun, he's great! Definitely seconding that one. I like Alex Wong too; her videos seem like they're more about working out and home training tips rather than providing instruction, but that might be good inspiration for the OP.

I'm going to add:

Sejong Dojang, which has a series of very good videos of Master Kang Shin Chul and his daughter, TKD champ Kang Su Ji, teaching the KKW forms. (Mr. WaterGal got to take a class from them, so jealous.........)

Master Jeong In Choul - Master Jeong is my favorite TKD guy (I may have a little bit of a crush on him, shhhh.... :oops:). He has some good videos teaching forms and showing training methods, but his big "thing" is to teach how traditional TKD techniques can be applied to actual self-defense.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got to take a sparring seminar from Phillip Yun, he's great! Definitely seconding that one. I like Alex Wong too; her videos seem like they're more about working out and home training tips rather than providing instruction, but that might be good inspiration for the OP.

I'm going to add:

Sejong Dojang, which has a series of very good videos of Master Kang Shin Chul and his daughter, TKD champ Kang Su Ji, teaching the KKW forms. (Mr. WaterGal got to take a class from them, so jealous.........)

Master Jeong In Choul - Master Jeong is my favorite TKD guy (I may have a little bit of a crush on him, shhhh.... :oops:). He has some good videos teaching forms and showing training methods, but his big "thing" is to teach how traditional TKD techniques can be applied to actual self-defense.

GM Kang has lots of excellent poomsae students at his dojang. And Master Jeong is a super friendly guy in addition to being a great taekwondoin. I've been lucky enough to have visited both of those dojang while I was living in Korea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
,hi i taught in a brick and mortar dojo the style of taekwondo/kyokushin and I earned first degree blackbelt at age 23,and trust and believe every test and class was hardcore, my intructors instructors is master Monique Washington who has her own dojo in Maryland called Washingtons karate for girls, it's a all women and girl dojo,so it took me 8 years to get to black belt along with college and at the time working 7 days a week so I've been there done that. My instructor club shut down a few years after I moved away.so yes I do have the discipline.also me and my training partner took tkd before and it was so costly with gas and driving 1 hr and 15 one way it got rediculous money wise.
If you have already received this level of training from a legitimate teacher, then my suggestion is that you practice what you have already learned. You ought to have plenty of material to have a comprehensive system and methodology. Hopefully you took that knowledge with you when you left that school. Even if you have forgotten some of it, work on what you remember and gradually the forgotten stuff may come back to you.

Ultimately, we should be striving to learn some skills that we take ownership of. They belong to us and it is our responsibility to continue to develop those skills, even if we are without a teacher.

I do not feel we need to always be somebody's student. We need to be able to stand on our own two feet and be responsible for our own practice and abilities.

If you desire further training, then find a school with a good instructor who can offer you that training. Video is not a good alternative. It is not "better than nothing", especially for someone like yourself who already has some significant training and likely has no need for what is being offered on the video.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

GM Kang Shinchul isn't Master Kang Suji's father. Her father is GM Kang Jaejin. GM Kang Shinchul's daughter is Kang Yujin.

- Master Jeong is my favorite TKD guy (I may have a little bit of a crush on him, shhhh.... :oops:). He has some good videos teaching forms and showing training methods, but his big "thing" is to teach how traditional TKD techniques can be applied to actual self-defense.

Master Jeong is my best Korean friend (we call each other brother). I'm flying Master Jeong over in October to give two seminars in the UK (one in London and one in Manchester) on how to apply Taekwondo. Maybe you should come and meet him ;-)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM Kang Shinchul isn't Master Kang Suji's father. Her father is GM Kang Jaejin. GM Kang Shinchul's daughter is Kang Yujin.

By the way, GM Kang Jaejin and Master Kang Suji did a video series together about poomsae. The audio is only in Korean, but the subtitles are a simplified version in English. It's worth a watch even if you can't understand the audio just for seeing Suji demonstrate everyone of the poomsae! She's a special kind of athlete.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
HI there

I am.against learning from video in almost every aspect

However, I would like to ask what you are wanting to gain from your practice.

You trained before and got to first degree in a hybrid style as you said. What would individual training in another style give you?