TKD and Karate bad mouth each other!

J

J-kid

I have noticed from talking to alot of karate and TKD Insurters students etc. They seem to bad mouth each others arts alot. I wanted to know why there is so much bad blood between the two. I cant under stand why two arts with alot of the same aspects seem to insalt each other anyone have any insite to this problem.:confused:

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

We all went through this one way or another. I call it 'the biggest dog on the block syndrome'. They usually consider their art the best out of ignorance. They need to learn that the man makes the art rather then the art which makes the man.

Speaking from experience, I use to box and thought the martial arts were crap until a kenpoist handed me my *** without even working up a sweat. I've been hooked on kenpo ever since. Then I found out that my kenpo was lacking in the conditioning aspect so I started muay thai to compensate for it. The thing to learn from this is that most arts can compliment other arts in one or more aspects

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
It seems to me that it si not so much an art thing as it is a money thing. I have trained in Japanese, Korean and American martial arts and the only ones that have ever really bad mouthed other arts were the ones pursuing the almighty dollar. I do not bad mouth other arts, I have been known to bad mouth other organizations and instructors. Do not think I am merely saying this or being a keyboard warrior, I will and do say it to their face. I have witnesses.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My guess is that it has something to do with the similarity between the two arts.

Just like the bad blood between Judo and BJJ, and Arabs and Jews.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Bad mouthing...

A true martial artist following the traditional philosophy would not say such folly.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Judo-kid

I have noticed from talking to alot of karate and TKD Insurters students etc. They seem to bad mouth each others arts alot. I wanted to know why there is so much bad blood between the two. I cant under stand why two arts with alot of the same aspects seem to insalt each other anyone have any insite to this problem.:confused:
...........................................................................................

The problem is the whole "McDojo" syndrome. You know, the 6 and 7 year old Black Belts and fees every month for something other than acutal training. (more patches, a rank test every month for $25 just to get a stripe on your belt, association fees,gym bags, t shirts,bla bla bla)

These are 99% TKD franchises and put a lot of false hope in their students in search for the almighty dollar. They have little or no respect from other MA because of this.

I will grant you that every once in a while a good MA comes out of a school like this BUT this person would probably shine in any school .

:soapbox:
Gene Gabel

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by islandtime

...........................................................................................

The problem is the whole "McDojo" syndrome. You know, the 6 and 7 year old Black Belts and fees every month for something other than acutal training. (more patches, a rank test every month for $25 just to get a stripe on your belt, association fees,gym bags, t shirts,bla bla bla)

These are 99% TKD franchises and put a lot of false hope in their students in search for the almighty dollar. They have little or no respect from other MA because of this.
I dunno about that. I've seen Kenpo schools that do the same things. (One offered cardio kick boxing, and about 4 different "little ninjas" programs, and highly hyped how the instructor had a PHD in children's education...) Locally, for every TKD school, there are several dojos that have the oh so informative title "Karate" up above their strip mall entrances. These offer free belts, free uniforms etc. Anything to get you in the door, then they sign you into lengthy contracts, offer black belts to anyone in about 2 years etc.

To claim that TKD is behind 99% of this McDojo syndrome is completely unproveable, and not anywhere near accurate. (Even the term "McDojo" implies that Japanese arts bear the brunt.)

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Marginal

I dunno about that. I've seen Kenpo schools that do the same things. (One offered cardio kick boxing, and about 4 different "little ninjas" programs, and highly hyped how the instructor had a PHD in children's education...) Locally, for every TKD school, there are several dojos that have the oh so informative title "Karate" up above their strip mall entrances. These offer free belts, free uniforms etc. Anything to get you in the door, then they sign you into lengthy contracts, offer black belts to anyone in about 2 years etc.

To claim that TKD is behind 99% of this McDojo syndrome is completely unproveable, and not anywhere near accurate. (Even the term "McDojo" implies that Japanese arts bear the brunt.)

Sorry about the confusion. "McDojo" is an often used term on the MA boards to describe the above statements I made.. You may insert McDojang or McGwoon if you like.. It is still the same animal..
Maybe in your corner of the world there are mostly Kenpo schools like that but in most others they are mostly TKD.
I will knock down my generality to 80%. How is that?

Maybe someone could fix us up a poll on this..(how about it you poll freaks?) Now that you have mentioned it. It has piqued my interest to find out more. I have only seen TKD schools that fit the above requirements, but then there are no Kempo schools in my area.

Gene Gabel:asian:

Latest Discussions