Timing and relaxtion training sparring.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I posted a video of sparring about a year ago i think. My friend wanted me to take it down and that will probably happen again.
Just me training with my mate who has been boxing around 3-6 months , So has some decent basics but isnt like a really good boxer. But good enough for me to struggle.
Recently left my old school because of some weird reasons lol but Im glad because my current teacher is much better at explaining things and the wing chun is just better.
The focus for me is to learn to relax and get good timing and observation skills. You will be able to tell when I tense up.

I think there are quite alot of guys here with sparring experience so if you wouldnt mind giving some feedback thatd be cool. Iv completed restarted my wing chun journey and im not really tied down to the idea of one lineages in application, only care about what works.
Things im finding hard to do in real life is bridging the gap, efficient turning and footwork.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I watched the first ten seconds or so. I will watch the rest in a bit.

Fight more like the boxer.

Seriously I assume there is nothing I the chun that prevents you moving. Then when you move you don't have to reach as far to block or strike. This will make you look like less of a goober and will significantly reduce the amount of space between your hands and your head. Reducing the amount of face punching.

Otherwise why is the hoodie on?

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Move in. Wing chun bridges, not stands out there at long range. You're playing into any outboxing style's strength. If you're not comfortable to move in, you shouldn't be sparring yet.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Move in. Wing chun bridges, not stands out there at long range. You're playing into any outboxing style's strength. If you're not comfortable to move in, you shouldn't be sparring yet.
Well I am still learning and tbh this video was actually made for a guy in Hong Kong to show his sifu what the type of hook im sparring against.
The bridging stuff I have learnt from my previous sifu doesn't work when I try to apply it, no matter how much I practiced it. I don't know if you actually have successfully bridged the gap in a fight or sparring yourself, but for me its a bit difficult. Big risk of running into a quick tight hook, people don't just let you stick to there arms you know. I am comfortable, well not entirely but that is the point of sparring... and I am just being smart because I know I don't have the skill to bridge without getting smacked in the face so I wait until the right time when I notice an opening. This is just 1 min of our usual 10 - 30 min session. hopefully i can take some more soon. But thanks for your input. I was looking for a bit more technical advice. I didn't put it up to show off, I wanted advice.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. You consistently go backwards when you block. Especially when he is throwing one off jabs. Which will make it hard for you to enter as you have to cover more ground than you really need to. That is when I would move forward and counter.

Move forwards. Make an angle then go back.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok. You consistently go backwards when you block. Especially when he is throwing one off jabs. Which will make it hard for you to enter as you have to cover more ground than you really need to. That is when I would move forward and counter.

Move forwards. Make an angle then go back.
Cool so you reckon when he does them one off jabs I should move in with bridging hand ? Also im wearing a hoodie cause its really cold even though it looks sunny.
I have to say I wasted alot of time at my old school, mainly doing reaction drills and not any structure stuff so im still fixing my structure If i don't go back when the jab hits my hand i get slightly put off balance, but when I do a quick step back it makes it much easier for me to dissipate the force and not get hit by the next 1-3 which are coming forward. Thanks for your point of view.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
From a boxing perspective and years of other martial arts; the first thing you need is proper gear, head gear, mouth guard, and some type of gloves. You can still keep light contact but you need to be able to hit each other in the head safely. What I see here and what I see a lot in this kind of no gear sparring is a game of trying to hit the guy while not actually hitting him, it's counter productive. If it's friendly sparring both parties lose out because neither is in any danger of getting hit. For new guys that aren't sure how much contact to use I recommend putting on your gear and having the guy start light and give you a few LIGHT shots, you can tell him more or less power from there, he's sees what it's like to touch the head and sees you can take it, but if they're not shy I wouldnt worry about it. It shouldn't be a problem if you're training with a boxer he should be used to it.

From a technical standpoint, you're checking punches that aren't even in range. You keep moving back and he's punching from out of range, if you kept your guard tight there would be nothing to block. Know your range and only block what will actually hit you, you're reaching and you might feel like you're blocking but you're not. A big reason for this in your video is likely a lack of intent to make contact, I'd wager if he was trying to hit you he could blow through most of those traps/blocks you were doing. Also footwork, you're to still, you need to range in and out and angle off line, you're a sitting duck.

Props for sharing your video, keep working, don't get discouraged, and get done damn sparring gear!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't chase his hands and don't stay at his range, otherwise he will dominate.

You need to move in and occupy his space. Get some proper safety equipment (headgear, gloves) and start working on this.
If he is allowed to stay balanced, then you will eat his follow up technique, whether it's a hook, right cross or whatever. If you move in, or more properly stated, explode in, putting your weight into your strikes then he will be rocked back on his heels and his follow up will be of little significance.
You don't have to hit hard, but you do need to move in with authority.
The safety gear makes this easier because you are less concerned about accidently hurting him.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Angle; move forward.
Stop playing defense; especially in the boxer range. Attack, because you are play a defensive game out side of your attacking range he can simply keep you busy defending punches. ATTACK!!

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback. Will take it all into consideration :). I had some headgear I stopped using it cause of some headaches I used to get after training, so id rather keep my wits about me. also noticed the protective cage on them made the range semi unrealistic because you are getting hit about 5 cm in front of your face which in a fight makes a lot of difference if that makes sense. Would be good if someone could get a video of them sparring to show what you guys mean with bridging and crashing in so there is a good example for me to see that isnt the dudes student co-operating with him.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Too defensive. Every time he slaps your lead hand, hit him with it and enter. Enter off that timing. This is what I do. I also don't keep my guard so far out like that anymore. I had an opponent with longer reach slap my lead down and hit me with the cross. So I found bringing my guard in closer prevents this and brings him in closer if he tries that. Plus in weapon training it's a target.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for ,the head gear being unrealustic for range, use palm strikes. This will cancel out the jutting out of the face cage.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback. Will take it all into consideration :). I had some headgear I stopped using it cause of some headaches I used to get after training, so id rather keep my wits about me. also noticed the protective cage on them made the range semi unrealistic because you are getting hit about 5 cm in front of your face which in a fight makes a lot of difference if that makes sense. Would be good if someone could get a video of them sparring to show what you guys mean with bridging and crashing in so there is a good example for me to see that isnt the dudes student co-operating with him.
You don't have to wear head gear but it prevents your face from getting cut and nose from getting broken or crunched too bad (depending on the style). Head gear with a face cage is not necessary, just get a good quality boxing head gear that covers the cheeks, if you're both wearing boxing gloves the cheek cushioning will protect your nose somewhat. Even with the face cage you're better off compared to what we see in the video, if no one is getting hit you're not committing for one reason or another. Put on the head gear with face cage and see how many shots make contact. Or take off the face cage, if you're getting head aches try a different head geAr or minimize the time you spend in the gear. Fight in 1-3min rounds and take off the gear between rounds, you might just be milling about too long in head gear. I know some guys who get head aches too, they gear up and wait for their turn in the ring or chat and hang around in it, you only need it while you're fighting 15 mins tops if you're even able to go that many rounds.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted a video of sparring about a year ago i think. My friend wanted me to take it down and that will probably happen again.
Just me training with my mate who has been boxing around 3-6 months , So has some decent basics but isnt like a really good boxer. But good enough for me to struggle.
Recently left my old school because of some weird reasons lol but Im glad because my current teacher is much better at explaining things and the wing chun is just better.
The focus for me is to learn to relax and get good timing and observation skills. You will be able to tell when I tense up.

I think there are quite alot of guys here with sparring experience so if you wouldnt mind giving some feedback thatd be cool. Iv completed restarted my wing chun journey and im not really tied down to the idea of one lineages in application, only care about what works.
Things im finding hard to do in real life is bridging the gap, efficient turning and footwork.
First of all, when you bring your elbow up high and try to do a downward block, you can really hurt yourself. If you don't believe me have that guy throw some real punches at that block. As for the rest, you need to try to aggressively try to get to his outside, or at least have some plan. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I am still learning and tbh this video was actually made for a guy in Hong Kong to show his sifu what the type of hook im sparring against.
The bridging stuff I have learnt from my previous sifu doesn't work when I try to apply it, no matter how much I practiced it. I don't know if you actually have successfully bridged the gap in a fight or sparring yourself, but for me its a bit difficult. Big risk of running into a quick tight hook, people don't just let you stick to there arms you know. I am comfortable, well not entirely but that is the point of sparring... and I am just being smart because I know I don't have the skill to bridge without getting smacked in the face so I wait until the right time when I notice an opening. This is just 1 min of our usual 10 - 30 min session. hopefully i can take some more soon. But thanks for your input. I was looking for a bit more technical advice. I didn't put it up to show off, I wanted advice.
Give them something to worry about on the way in, Hit 'em when you are in, and give them something to worry about on the way out.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He is punching, I think you guys think there is no power at all. He is trying to hit me and there is power. If i miss i get hooked in the face which has happened multiple times, when bridging. Seriously it is a lot harder then you realise. I learnt how to crash in with jum, pak etc but it doesnt work when they are skilled, Some people I can just straight crash in and sensory overwhelm them, boxer tends to use his footwork to get out of it, easy to do a back step with a slight turn with a nasty tight hook which imo is the highest risk of getting hit when bridging. This video is quite short but I usually wait until I see an opening and quickly bridge. I never had a proper opening where I wouldnt get hit.
For some background : did wing chun for around 9 years while growing up,turns out most of what I learnt was crap, restarted this year. So i have to erase a ton of bad habits aswell. Currently learning Chu shong tin but really been focusing on trying to learn Nim tao and keeping tai going etc on while fighting. But my fighting style does not represent chu shong tin lineage at all, only just started and still doing basic structure tests. Really appreciate all the feedback though ! I wish more people would post videos of wing chun vs whatever , Im prob going to end up been a mma guy with wing chun as my base though.
Cheers to the guy that posted the vid, But it seems the person you are vsing is doing wing chun aswell ? or isnt punching you at all ? The stuff you are doing is the exact stuff I previously tried with the dude im vsing on my vid and I could never get it to work simple because of his flurries and footwork. Im assuming everyone who has replied has sparring experience and has used what theyv told me to do in real sparring/fights not just in class or theory. Otherwise its pointless because it isnt tested. please excuse my writing, not the greatest :/ . Cheers :)

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
He is punching, I think you guys think there is no power at all. He is trying to hit me and there is power. If i miss i get hooked in the face which has happened multiple times, when bridging. Seriously it is a lot harder then you realise. I learnt how to crash in with jum, pak etc but it doesnt work when they are skilled, Some people I can just straight crash in and sensory overwhelm them, boxer tends to use his footwork to get out of it, easy to do a back step with a slight turn with a nasty tight hook which imo is the highest risk of getting hit when bridging. This video is quite short but I usually wait until I see an opening and quickly bridge. I never had a proper opening where I wouldnt get hit.
For some background : did wing chun for around 9 years while growing up,turns out most of what I learnt was crap, restarted this year. So i have to erase a ton of bad habits aswell. Currently learning Chu shong tin but really been focusing on trying to learn Nim tao and keeping tai going etc on while fighting. But my fighting style does not represent chu shong tin lineage at all, only just started and still doing basic structure tests. Really appreciate all the feedback though ! I wish more people would post videos of wing chun vs whatever , Im prob going to end up been a mma guy with wing chun as my base though.
Cheers to the guy that posted the vid, But it seems the person you are vsing is doing wing chun aswell ? or isnt punching you at all ? The stuff you are doing is the exact stuff I previously tried with the dude im vsing on my vid and I could never get it to work simple because of his flurries and footwork. Im assuming everyone who has replied has sparring experience and has used what theyv told me to do in real sparring/fights not just in class or theory. Otherwise its pointless because it isnt tested. please excuse my writing, not the greatest :/ . Cheers :)
The person I'm sparring does boxing and eskrima. He is trying to hit me I eat a few shots. My timing is better so I hit before he hits me. Jeet kun do. Lol. I choose to box a boxer. That was 4 years ago. Now I prefer to grapple more. Vid is just to show exactly what I said to do in my post. I figured I'd use imagery to help. Did it? If not I'll take it down. Good wing Chun shuts down the opponent. So if you thought he wasn't trying to hit me. I'll take as a compliment.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The person I'm sparring does boxing and eskrima. He is trying to hit me I eat a few shots. My timing is better so I hit before he hits me. Jeet kun do. Lol. I choose to box a boxer. That was 4 years ago. Now I prefer to grapple more. Vid is just to show exactly what I said to do in my post. I figured I'd use imagery to help. Did it? If not I'll take it down. Good wing Chun shuts down the opponent. So if you thought he wasn't trying to hit me. I'll take as a compliment.

Oh true, well then good job. Yea the bridging was fine, just kind of hard to see. But yea the imagery helps and you actually put a vid of you sparring doing what you say.
Thats what im working on is getting good timing and been able to stay relaxed. If you cant relax then its quite hard to do anything really. Hope my reply didnt come across as angry or anything.
I feel like wing chun can actually go really well with bjj/ grappling arts. Im just about to get into bjj and from the few lessons iv had i can see where bits and pieces can fit.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not many people sack up and use there WC and post vids. So I give you props. I have more vids where you can see him the " boxer" teeing off on people. I just don't have anything to prove. I just thought I'd throw everybody a bone

Latest Discussions