Time to share something

D

Dylan9d

Some basic exercises from Ilmu Buka BelaDiri.

Some stuff is done slow for educational purposes (for my student). Oh and don't mind my son strolling around on his bike haha.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone has some questions about it then I will try my best to answer them.

And now I have some questions.

When blocking and stepping inside, you present your head to the attackers other hand. Sometimes you block with an elbow, sometimes not. But you stay in the attackers range either way. Why? I'd think get way inside as Naihanchi, or get outside.

When blocking outside, you have the attackers wrist. Why not crank that ***** and go under, then kick him in the face? Take him off his feet entirely?

Asked with respect.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If anyone has some questions about it then I will try my best to answer them.
In normal combat situation, when you make 1 move, your opponent will make 1 move too. When your opponent punches you (move 1), you block it (move 1), your opponent will make his next move (move 2) as:

- use his punching arm to pull your blocking arm, or
- drop his punching arm elbow at your head (since you only block on his forearm and his elbow joint is free), or
- use his other hand to punch your head, or

before you will have chance to punch back (move 2), None of those normal responds are shown in your clip. IMO, it's un-realistic to assume that your opponent will freeze his punching arm in the thin air and allow you to have time to do your move 1, move 2, and ...

In other words, you should wait for your opponent to make his move 2 before you can have change to make your move 2 (unless you are twice as fast as your opponent). So the normal respond should be:

- Your opponent punches,
- You block,
- He responds to your block (not shown in your clip),
- You respond to his respond,
- He ...

Of course you can combine your block and punch in 1 move since 1 is better than 1,2, but that's not that easy to do in combat reality since a punch can be as fast as 1/10 second.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dylan9d

No you are not. You wing your left elbow, more so than the right. This robs you of power.
Thats nice that you can judge me by a 5 minute video.

In normal combat situation, when you make 1 move, your opponent will make 1 move too. When your opponent punches you (move 1), you block it (move 1), your opponent will make his next move (move 2) as:

- use his punching arm to pull your blocking arm, or
- drop his punching arm elbow at your head (since you only block on his forearm and his elbow joint is free), or
- use his other hand to punch your head, or

before you will have chance to punch back (move 2), None of those normal responds are shown in your clip. IMO, it's un-realistic to assume that your opponent will freeze his punching arm in the thin air and allow you to have time to do your move 1, move 2, and ...

In other words, you should wait for your opponent to make his move 2 before you can have change to make your move 2 (unless you are twice as fast as your opponent). So the normal respond should be:

- Your opponent punches,
- You block,
- He responds to your block (not shown in your clip),
- You respond to his respond,
- He ...

Of course you can combine your block and punch in 1 move since 1 is better than 1,2, but that's not that easy to do in combat reality since a punch can be as fast as 1/10 second.

Maybe i should've made the text before the video in english. It says "algemene oefening" which means in english "general exercise" which means it's just some simple response drills.

Ofcourse we train with attacker responses like pulling the arm, jab-cross combo's from the attacker etc. its just not shown in this video, maybe in future material.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Maybe i should've made the text before the video in english. It says "algemene oefening" which means in english "general exercise" which means it's just some simple response drills.

Ofcourse we train with attacker responses like pulling the arm, jab-cross combo's from the attacker etc. its just not shown in this video, maybe in future material.
I judge forms or kata that are much less than five minutes. :)

OP
D

Dylan9d

I judge forms or kata that are much less than five minutes. :)

Well last time i checked this isn't kata or forms but just an exercise.

Knowing someone is training with them so you are most welcome to test my left arm :)

OP
D

Dylan9d

I have one more suggestion to give you more power, but I don't think this conversation is going anywhere. :)

Thats were you misunderstand my video, it's not about power, it's not about combat it's a general exercise for the first response on a punch. It's only basics. You shouldn't overthink stuff this much. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats were you misunderstand my video, it's not about power, it's not about combat it's a general exercise for the first response on a punch. It's only basics. You shouldn't overthink stuff this much. ;)
ostensibly, it you who doesn't understand. Everything you do is form. I see it, I learn about you. I almost know what you had for breakfast. ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing, seriously. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sure that any day now he'll post up a video of him so we can all comment.......! :D

as for breakfast you didn't have bread with chocolate sprinkles? love that.

Latest Discussions