Time in Rank

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sigh. I'm already well aware of the "difficulties" it's posing. On the bright side, my pops decided he didn't like the idea of me driving 10 hours to San Diego with my back like this so he popped for the express jet flight from monterey -> san diego. :) MRI I'm supposed to hear back from for appointment on Wed. We'll see, I spose.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply, its a cellular approach to rank divided by age and purpose, with each wearing a slightly different instrument designator that corresponds to in some cases adjusted focused curriculum. The Old Man loved it, told many about it, but sadly didn't have the opportunity to implement it.

Um... If you say that's putting it simply! ;)

Actually, I'm confident it was well thought out and clearly explained. But I don't think it compresses down in a way that's meaningful to without the background in education. (Kind of like if I said that I ordered someone out of the car per Mimms prior to conducting a Carroll search.)

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc's entire facility is geared towards information transfer with maximum efficiency. Kinda how educational institutions are supposed to run...yanno? *badum clang*

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said it was financially successful. :)

Agreed. And that is what seperates the folks who're interested in teaching the art and having people learn it right, compared to the McDojos. I'd say you certainly don't fall into the Mcdojo category. :)

Mike

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. And that is what seperates the folks who're interested in teaching the art and having people learn it right, compared to the McDojos. I'd say you certainly don't fall into the Mcdojo category. :)

Mike

Well, to use your analogy sir, "You definitely can't have it your way." - :)

Hell, you can't even find us!

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hah I just watched Pirates of the Caribbean.

"It is an island that cannot be found except by those who already know where it is."

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh nono that was part 3 trying to get to Davey Jones' locker. :) My quote was the first movie looking for Isle de Muerta. :)

KempoKop

White Belt
Reaction score
I just started back in the martial arts, but when I took Kempo years ago it was pretty much (average) in the dojo a belt a year. So most people obtained their black belt in about 9 to 10 years of study.

Madmatt

White Belt
Reaction score
I am in the right place from the posts I have read. I am an old school Martial Artist that has been studing how to defend myself for 40 plus years. The first ten where the hardest.
How many teachers know nothing outside of there Art.
Who digs deep into what ,why, where, who and how.
Each of my students must read a book and hand in a report before they test.
There is a set of books to read to teach in my school.
Who made Mr.Ed Parker a 10th? Or what?

Matt
Okinawa te

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Doc, sidebar I just thought of - did your boys ever finally get their portraits put up on the wall? :p

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
My knowledge, and my own time from white to yellow belt took me around four to five months, from yellow to orange belt it took me around four to five month, and so on until green belt. Once I recieved my green belt I waited a good 10 to 11 months to recieve my 3rd degree brown belt, it took me about another 7 to 8 months to recieve my 2nd degree brown belt, and another 7 to 8 month for my 1st degree brown (red) belt. Today in American Kenpo, and maybe in Chinese Kempo, I am not sure, the Kenpo board changed the 1st degree brown to a red belt. Anyway, it took me about a year from 1st degree brown to 1st degree black belt, and another 2 years from 1st degree black to 2nd degree black where I am currently at. It will take me another 3 years to recieve my third degree black belt.

tomshem

White Belt
Reaction score
My teacher taught me that to judge in years is imprudent because it is too vague. He used to say, "Why is it when you ask someone how long they have been "studying," they always give you the time period from when they started to when you ask the question?"

If a person has a full-time job and they tell you they've been there for two years, you can do the math. Minimum forty hours per week X five days a week. In other words, there is a general standard that can be adjusted by subtracting vacations, holidays, and weekends, depending on the job to determine fairly accurately how much time they actually put in.

To say they've been in the arts for two years means nothing. How many days per week? How many hours per day? Any time off for injuries? Vacation? Taking care of the kids? Going to school? How about fatigue? How about whether they're just sparring, or are they actually studying material? Do you count the time when they just come in to watch? How often do they miss because they're just busy?

My teacher taught me that if you want a more accurate measure of time, do what they do in academia, count "academic hours." That is actual time in the classroom. Oddly enough, when it comes to getting paid, most jobs do the same because it is the most accurate way to determine actual "work."

Counting years means nothing. That's why we have so many people with "years" under their belt, and no significant skill or knowledge to back it up. Only in the arts do the number of years you've been hanging around count toward advancement. The general assumption is you've worked your butt off studying and training during that period. The reality is much less so. "Back in the day" before it became a business industry the assumptions made sense. When I started, you were in the school at every opportunity, and the teacher had to put you out and lock the door to get you to leave. Then years made sense, because the assumption was true. Not any more.

My students are given course material for each rank. Each course requires a minimum number of academic hours of classroom time. It is also factored in that a maximum of 20% of hours may be "audited" to account for injuries, and fatigue and still participate in the class. Students have time sheets, and they must record, log, and have their hours verified at the end of every class session. Audited classes or hours are recorded as such and placed in their file. We have no children.

Only after students reach the minimum required for the course, may they petition to test for advancement. When they petition, Instructors monitor the physical participation, and they must submit their hours, notebooks, personal notes, and all academic material that demonstrates their academic participation. The petition must be approved, and then the written examination is administered. If the written exam is passed, then the practical physical exam is scheduled. There are no shortcuts. Students are academically competent, demonstrate solid foundational skills, move with physical competency, and are demonstrably effective.

Although it may sound stringent, in reality it is just a competent program. It is run as it should be if you're going to award ranks of competency in areas that potentially could be life threatening, or at the least serious physical injury. My students love it and are so immersed in the process, they have to be reminded when they are eligible to test. Additionally, because upper ranks (brown and black) don't wear stripes, often student have to be reminded of what they're rank actually is. I recall one of the browns telling me he was surprised to learn he was 2nd brown. I asked him, Didn't you know?" He said, "I didn't remember until I was thumbing through my notebook and saw the diploma." This is how My Teacher wanted me to teach. Modeled after academic institutions, he had a dream of an accredited college teaching Martial Science one day." Hopefully my students will get it done one day.

Their attitude, knowledge, and ability at all levels pays respect to my teacher's work. For me, that's all that matters.

A wise and superior response...

Where I teach, I can barely contain myself with how students "expect" to be rewarded rank based solely upon the passage of time...

Cheers

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
The last blackbelt in the Chow/Chun System got his promotion two years ago after close to 20 years of training. The blackbelt before that had probably about the same number of years. We do not have regular promotions. Promotions are at our teacher's discretion and are few and far between. I've had three formal promotions in 12 years, so I still have a ways to go. Up until about three years ago, I was the most "junior" student. Not many have been allowed to train with us. Of those who were allowed to train not many have stayed.

Latest Discussions