Tiger/Crane Set

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
Within the circle he's pretty well known, based out of San Diego and learned alot from his Father George. Dennis is probably best known to the general public for his work as the technical advisor on the Lethal Weapon film.
Are they Brazilian? Do you know if they trained in Brazil or the US? There are MANY different groups throughout Brazil, but at the time of the filming of the Lethal Weapon film (I am assuming you mean the first one, back in the 1980s), there would have been few in the US. There were a couple teachers here in the San Francisco Bay area, and a couple in New York, and i believe that is about it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Iwas told (from a reliable source) that when Capoeira was show cased at The IKC Long Beach it was ridiculed by a Kenpo Black Belt as just a dance routine, aparently Mr. Parker told this individual that , "that dance routine could put you on your ***"....many look ,but few see!
Rich
Yes, Capoeira is very very different from what most people think of as a martial art. Many people tend to focus on the "dance" aspect of the art, and can't see past that, but the dance and playfulness were used to disguise the fight, since the art was developed by Africans in Brazil during slavery times. I know many Capoeiristas who I would NEVER want to fight.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Flying Crane" - you have a very humble attitude and I apologize if I came across as being too bold.

Mr. Chapel (Doc) is someone that I, too, need to ask for questions where my knowledge is deficient. It's hard to find someone as knowledgeable as Doc, and yet that is so willing to share that information with anyone who asks.

Good luck in your Kenpo journey, and, welcome to MartialTalk.

Jamie Seabrook

www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
"Flying Crane" - you have a very humble attitude and I apologize if I came across as being too bold.

Mr. Chapel (Doc) is someone that I, too, need to ask for questions where my knowledge is deficient. It's hard to find someone as knowledgeable as Doc, and yet that is so willing to share that information with anyone who asks.

Good luck in your Kenpo journey, and, welcome to MartialTalk.

Jamie Seabrook

www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
Thanks Jamie, I appreciate it. I am happy to be here, and have been getting a kick out of poking around in all the threads. Also interesting to connect with some other Kenpo people in the world. I've been a bit isolated from the Kenpo community at large for most of my martial career, so it's been a bit of an eye-opener as well. Cheers!

all the best,
Michael

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Iwas told (from a reliable source) that when Capoeira was show cased at The IKC Long Beach it was ridiculed by a Kenpo Black Belt as just a dance routine, aparently Mr. Parker told this individual that , "that dance routine could put you on your ***"....many look ,but few see!
Rich
Yeah I remember that. They did a really good demo "back in the day." Although I was not party to the conversation you speak of, Mr. Parker definitely said, "If you don't know what you're up against, you could definitely get hurt." It was a part of his "examine before you condemn" lecture to constantly remind students to experience something before you dismiss its effectiveness.

tigdra

Green Belt
Reaction score
james Ibrao has a version that is almost identical to the hung gar original

tigdra

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rich when I was retyping the notes for my school, I eventually got to tiger and crane set. Intrigued by its history and how it came about, but more importantly how it had changed from the Wong Fei Hung version. I began to contact different sources of hung gar as well as watch videos of the set. Both the information that I received from a friend which taught hung gar as well as the video I received proved to be pretty identical.
Aside from the video that I had I also received a James Ibrao video of the Hung Gar Tiger and Crane Set. Both the hung gar information and James Ibrao version of the form are almost identical.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TIGDRA,
thank you, for your informative reply, I hope the way that I phrased my query was not too abrupt.
With Respect
Rich :asian:

tigdra

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not at all kenpoworks

Masherdog you are correct it is the last video in thebelt series.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ah, the kenpo version. I guess I'm not sure exactly which version James Ibrao has, even tho he was one of Parker's earliest students. His fu/hok might be from a different source.

I used to have an old tape of a guy from Tracys doing it. It was actually god-awful. Just really really bad, not sure how it got screwed up so much. I finally dumped the tape 'cause it was just getting old and deteriorating and making it harder and harder to watch.

Tracys website offers tapes of all the material, and fu/hok is in there. A copy of this is what I actually had. I doubt if it is anywhere on the internet for free, tho. As a non-kenpo guy with no vested interest in the system other than curiosity, I couldn't recomment that you pay money for it. That's kind of how Al Tracy gets rich, I guess...

tigdra

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you want to get a kenpo version of tiger and crane I would only suggest such a buy if and only if your interest is geared toward aesthetic goals.
If you want to get a more in depth understanding of the tiger and crane set I suggest you buy a hung gar version of the tape or an in depth manual of the form
in conjunction with a hung gar tape or James Ibrao fu hok tape. If you have read up on the understanding and reasoning that Wong Fei Hong altered the original
form, then the kenpo version of this form will truly disappoint you; a lot of the original techniques are not taught and those which are taught have been altered and
have a different application than once intended. I have learned tiger and crane/ fu hok at least four different ways and my least favorite is the kenpo version.
I will be happy to share or trade any information or answer any questions that may help on this subject. I am in no way an expert or grandmaster or any style I only offer information.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where I can get a video of the Tiger/Crane set? Or has anyone made a video of themselves doing it.

You can get GrandMaster Tak Wah Eng on youtube.com doing it. Here's the link:

I would honestly get this version over a kempo person's version. it's more traditional because he's directly linked to wong fei hong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Tiger/Crane is not "the" hung gar form, it's Gun Gee Fuk Fu. Tiger/Crane set is a shortened version of that form.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can go to www.WLE.com and get it. The form is under the Hung Gar video section.

Here is some info on the T/C form.

FU HOK SEUNG YING KUEN
Tiger & Crane double shape fist

Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen - Tiger and Crane double shape fist is the most famous set of Hung kuen. In fact so famous that some people reffer to Hung Gar as the Tiger and Crane Style. There are many different stories about how this form was created. Its said that the form was created by Hung Hei Guan who combined the soft and fluid techniques of the crane which he learned from his wife with the straightforward and powerful tiger movements of siu lum temple.

This form was later modified by the great master Wong Fei Hung one of the most famous and well known masters of hung gar to date whos life has been imortalized by hundreds of movies, publications, tv shows etc. Wong Fei Hung using his excellent knowledge and experience re-choreographed and brodaen the Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen as we know it today. Many importan aspects and principles were further developed and added in, such as the unique internal training handed down by the Tid Kiu Sam, 10 special hands(sup duk sao- sup jeut sao) also known as 10 killing hands, theory of yin-yang, 5 elements, 7 stars etc. The ten special hands were the ten most favouired techniques/principles of Wong Fei Hung which he used in many challanges to defeat his opponents.

The Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen like all the other forms of the system incorparates and follows the philosophy and principles of Yin Yang. The form cobines the fierce, powerfull movements of the tiger which emphasis gong ging (hard power) with the fluid, evasive movements of the crane which requires yau ging (soft power). The crane movements also develop bing ging (whiping power).

Latest Discussions