Tiger/Crane Set

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where I can get a video of the Tiger/Crane set? Or has anyone made a video of themselves doing it.

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have no idea if you can order it or not but Al Tracy has a tape. I've been thinking of taping myself doing all the kata and if I ever get around to it I'll send you a copy. Good luck!!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming he is referring to the T&C that Parker adopted from Hung Gar with some modifications. Eventually Mr. Parker dropped these in favor of the newer kenpo (number) forms. TRACO and Tracy kenpo lineages still have it in their curricullums.

Rich, check your PM.

Lamont

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I'm assuming he is referring to the T&C that Parker adopted from Hung Gar with some modifications. Eventually Mr. Parker dropped these in favor of the newer kenpo (number) forms. TRACO and Tracy kenpo lineages still have it in their curricullums.

Rich, check your PM.

Lamont

Ok than I am of no help than, thanks for the explination though.

OP
R

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Parkerkarate, ask Mr. Joe about it next time you are in town. The T/C set was developed by Mr Parker and I think Master Wong Fei Hong (but I can not remember who the Hung Gar Master was as Mr Parker did not give him credit and dropped the set later on). I have it written down but as no one teaches it anymore it is hard to tell where the precise hand movements are. Blindside, I'll get back to you later.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:
Does anyone have or know where I can get a video of the Tiger/Crane set? Or has anyone made a video of themselves doing it.
Hi Rich,

I know an advanced version of the Tiger and Crane Form (Chinese name: Fu Hok Surng Ying) but my guess is that it would be fairly different from the one the Tracy's do. I am also a black belt in kung fu so I had the opportunity of learning the form many years ago, and use it periodically when I choose to compete in a big open tournament. It's a little more "flashy" than most EPAK forms, but is very practical and offers a great balance of yin and yang (soft and hard) elements. The form is also amazing for building your endurance and is tough on your forearms and legs.

BTW - thanks for letting me know about my e-book, "American Kenpo Mastery: A Guide for Students and Instructors" being sold on e-bay. No worries...it's my wife selling them. The only problem, I guess, is that she gets the money....the fun of marriage, eh?....lol.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

K

kenpochad

Blindside said:
Lamont
check this site out http://www.acskarate.com/newsletter/index.html
he teaches chinese kenpo he is in arizona or you might be able to get for a
Bill Packer school i believe its akka they both teach Traco

K

kenpochad

A.K.K.A has a lot of school nation wide check to see if you have one in your area

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This form is the heart of the hung gar system, fu hok sung yi i think is the name. f i were you i would get it from a hung gar source rather than kempo/kenpo (to honour our masters seek not to become them...rather seek what they sought). Your knowledge of kempo/kenpo will help you get a lot out of this form. I believe parts of Northern and Southern Tigers were at least inspired by this form.

Respectfully,
Marlon

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:
Parkerkarate, ask Mr. Joe about it next time you are in town. The T/C set was developed by Mr Parker and I think Master Wong Fei Hong (but I can not remember who the Hung Gar Master was as Mr Parker did not give him credit and dropped the set later on). I have it written down but as no one teaches it anymore it is hard to tell where the precise hand movements are. Blindside, I'll get back to you later.

Ok will do

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
marlon said:
I believe parts of Northern and Southern Tigers were at least inspired by this form.

Respectfully,
Marlon
True, but I think you meant Northern and Southern Kung Fu styles, not Northern and Southern TIGERS.

The tiger and crane offers a blend of external and internal techniques. The tiger (external) represents strength and aggression, while the crane (internal) is effective at utilizing angles of defense and countering with snapping strikes similar to a crane’s beak.

In general, Northern styles of Kung Fu tend to emphasize long range punching, striking and kicking. Practitioners of northern Kung Fu styles must also strive to maintain or improve their flexibility due to the higher and often more acrobatickicks involved relative to southern styles. Conversely, southern styles of Kung Fu place more emphasis on utilizing hand techniques in short range fighting, while kicking techniques tends to be much lower (i.e. to areas such as the shin, knee and groin area).

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like the Book Set, the Tiger and Crane Form is also an original Hung Gar Kung Fu form and came from Jimmy Woo. Ed Parker began teaching this form in the early 1960s but only on a temporary basis until he had devised more advanced Kenpo forms. Like the Panther Set, Ed Parker made several modifications to the form before dropping it altogether. The form is excellent for competition but doesn’t belong in a "Kenpo division" since it is not an American Kenpo form.

Jamie Seabrook

OP
R

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Jamie, I couldn't remember who it was. The T/C set is different than the T/C form (the set is a shorter version, yes they both came from Hung Gar). The Book Set, Panther Set and T/C set were all created in the infancy of EPAK and were dropped later on, but I just wanted to learn it but is difficult as no one teaches it anymore.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Fu-Hok form I learned in the NCKKA (National Chinese Kenpo Karate Association), was modified somewhat for tournaments, but evolved back to the more traditional form as Gary Swan spent more time with Buk Sum Kong.

Ours Chinese Kenpo was an offshoot of TRACO in the early days I believe. Then Mr. LaBounty, Gary Swan, and a couple of others started the NCKKA and we did Tiger and Crane and Book Set.

-Michael

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:
The Book Set, Panther Set and T/C set were all created in the infancy of EPAK and were dropped later on, but I just wanted to learn it but is difficult as no one teaches it anymore.
The Book Set is the Panther Set - they go by both of those names. I can't remember why but I bet Ron Chapel would probably know.

I teach the Tiger and Crane as well as the Book Set, but only to my very dedicated advanced students (brown- black), particularly those with a desire to learn them. They are not required in EPAK, and likewise, I don't require any of my students to know them.

Jamie Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
The Fu-Hok form I learned in the NCKKA (National Chinese Kenpo Karate Association), was modified somewhat for tournaments, but evolved back to the more traditional form as Gary Swan spent more time with Buk Sum Kong.

Ours Chinese Kenpo was an offshoot of TRACO in the early days I believe. Then Mr. LaBounty, Gary Swan, and a couple of others started the NCKKA and we did Tiger and Crane and Book Set.

-Michael
Hi Michael,

Do you require your students to learn Book Set and/or Tiger and Crane? Do you still practice these forms?

Cheers Bro,
Jamie Seabrook

OP
R

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I am starting to confuse myself again. Getting old is h*** :)

OP
R

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guess what I found? This was brought up 3 years ago. I found this quote from GD7 "Yes, I learned this set back in 1975. It is a fun yet challenging set. Hmmmm Let me think about the video stuff." Gee I wonder if he got it together so I can get a hold of it hehe.

Latest Discussions