Throws that can end a fight

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you

- complete your throw, your opponent's body can have a full body rotation and use break fall to land safely.
- throw your opponent 1/2 way, your opponent's head will land first and no break fall can help him.

Why does 1/2 throw not discussed by people who train the throwing art?
That’s not quite accurate. A half-a-throw often means the opponent is still over your body (hip or shoulder throw). It’s often more a matter of controlling their body and direction of finish, in my experience.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well first off the throw is NOT a finishing move. Throws are to meant to disorientate your enemy and gain advantage. They should never be trained as the finishing move. Granted there are throws where they MAY land on their head/neck but even then, if its that kind of fight (fight for your life) then you should not stop there and if its just a bar brawl you should not be throwing anyone on their head unless you like jail time. Throws should either be trained where you are following up with strikes or gaining control of limbs for submission moves.......
I disagree. Throws can be trained (to some extent) and used as finishing moves. In fact, understanding what makes it a dangerous throw helps in understanding how to make it less dangerous.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't understand here. When someone runs toward you and tries to knock your head off, how much violence do you think when you throw your punch toward his head? 30% violence, 50% violence, 80% violence, or 100% violence? How will you know that your opponent is thinking about less violence toward at that moment?

There is no difference between knock someone down or throw someone down. You hope you can end fight right there. You don't have to start a fight. But if you do, you have to finish it.
I have a hard time putting a percentage on violence. As @gpseymour said, it is absolute, binary, full on or full off. We are born violently (typically) then we learn love and caring (hopefully). If I am going to perform a throw for example, I wouldn't do it gingerly as if I were worried I would hurt the person.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time putting a percentage on violence. As @gpseymour said, it is absolute, binary, full on or full off. We are born violently (typically) then we learn love and caring (hopefully). If I am going to perform a throw for example, I wouldn't do it gingerly as if I were worried I would hurt the person.
I actually said it isn’t binary. I can throw fully, throw and protect, throw with only gravity, throw with all my muscle, throw and restrict their ability to control the landing. And with all of those, I can also choose whether I want to add my bodyweight and/or a pin at the end. And there are ranges to most of those. Some of those options, I can’t see using in a SD situation. Others, while using less than the total violence available, might give me more control of my finish (restricting their options), or put me in position for escape or follow-up. And, sometimes, I might not need to use all I have, because the other guy is just being a dick, rather than really threatening me.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually said it isn’t binary. I can throw fully, throw and protect, throw with only gravity, throw with all my muscle, throw and restrict their ability to control the landing. And with all of those, I can also choose whether I want to add my bodyweight and/or a pin at the end. And there are ranges to most of those. Some of those options, I can’t see using in a SD situation. Others, while using less than the total violence available, might give me more control of my finish (restricting their options), or put me in position for escape or follow-up. And, sometimes, I might not need to use all I have, because the other guy is just being a dick, rather than really threatening me.
I stand corrected and see your point. With the exception of when I wrestled in high school and college, throws have not been a big part of my MA. I do get the idea of having a choice of power or technique however. I have said before that I used to have a clear mental choice in how I handled an assailant, embarrass, hurt, or put down. As I age that choice has narrowed considerably. I would still have to say that the act of violence is binary. I couldn't argue that any of my choices would be only kind of violent.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the act of violence is binary.
Agree! A lion will fight against a rabbit just like a lion will fight against another lion.

When I throw a punch, I want to knock my opponent down. I don't know how to knock him 25% down, 50% down, or 75% down. I don't think I can control my power that well.

I can lock my opponent's body up. By I don't thing that's the "low percentage violence" we are talking about here.

dead-lock1.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree! A lion will fight against a rabbit just like a lion will fight against another lion.

When I throw a punch, I want to knock my opponent down. I don't know how to knock him 25% down, 50% down, or 75% down. I don't think I can control my power that well.

I can lock my opponent's body up. By I don't thing that's the "low percentage violence" we are talking about here.

dead-lock1.jpg
Power in a punch isn't always 100%, but you make a valid point about punches. That's not the same as how you use the punch, though (to distract to prepare an opening for a bigger hit, for instance). And there's even more room for adaptation in throws, in general. It's not about throwing someone 25%/50%/75%. It's about how they are thrown. I can throw with some some throws to aim their head at the ground. Some of those, I can adjust to make it more likely they land on a shoulder or arm. I can throw hard or just throw. There are always levels of violence available to us - we choose which levels (if any) are valid for our use. If we don't choose (preferably during training), we don't have the option of adapting, and can end up using a too-violent response. Some of those in the clips you showed would fall into that category in most situations.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This clip won't agree with you.

There's nothing like landing on concrete. Landing on grass is hard but the ground still gives. Concrete doesn't give, most of the KO slams and throws from your video happened on concrete.