Thoughts on Pak Sau

gojusi

White Belt
Reaction score
The video in the original post is a PERFECT example of a pak sao. The move should almost always be used as a punch AND block at the same time. One hand punches, one hand blocks with the pak sao. Very good technique in my books.

I would probably go one step further and say: the pak sao can be used to slap the opponent's punching arm further and ultimately leave your opponent off balance leaving their ribs open for attack.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The video in the original post is a PERFECT example of a pak sao. The move should almost always be used as a punch AND block at the same time. One hand punches, one hand blocks with the pak sao. Very good technique in my books.

I would probably go one step further and say: the pak sao can be used to slap the opponent's punching arm further and ultimately leave your opponent off balance leaving their ribs open for attack.
What was shown is an excellent example of one (1) way to utilize or apply Pak.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the forum but I hope I will be able to contribute to thoughtful conversations.

So what are your thoughts on Pak sau:

Wing CHun: Paak Sau, Slapping Hand – Martial Arts Academy Online

What are the advantages/disadvantages that you could see? Any of you applied this in practical situation, like a street fight? How did it work? Not work?
So a pak sau is the process of clearing a path. There are some side benefits that can occur such as the possibility of upsetting an opponents balance or trapping an opponents hands, but it's primary purpose is to clear a path for an attack either with the same hand but usually for the other hand. Sure it can be a block but like all Wing Chun techniques it is neither a black or attack and it is both a block and an attack.