Thoughts on Attending a Seminar?

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love going to martial arts seminars. I've been to probably over a hundred seminars. Notable names include Dan Inosanto, Masaaki Hatsumi, Stephen Hayes, Bud Malmstrom, Doron Navon, Herman Suwanda, Neil Adams, Chai Sirisute, Sakasem Kanthawong, Jongsoonan Fairtex, Royce Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Carlson Gracie Jr, Carlos Machado, Eb Kieslich, and our own @Brian R. VanCise, among many others.

I've learned plenty of good stuff from seminars, but honestly they're not always the best deal in terms of retainable material per dollar spent. Often so much material gets dumped on you at once that you don't get a chance to practice it on an ongoing basis before it fades from memory. I just like the experience of meeting new people and immersing myself in the perspective of a high level instructor who has a different approach from my usual training partners,

Sounds like you need to find better seminar instructors.

I've not been to very many seminars, because of the time commitments I had when I was studying previously. Of them, two truly stand out, the one with Joe Lewis, and one with Lee Wedlake. I'm convinced I wouldn't have been in the car accident I mentioned after the Lewis seminar but I was both mentally and physically fatigued, and I don't think my reaction time was what it usually would have been. Mr. Wedlake was one that the vast majority of what he said was over my head, but made me realize what Kenpo can be. So, I agree, the right instructor and a seminar can be a great thing.

I think seminars are great. I still attend as many as I can and put on seminars frequently. For the long-timers, seminars are a great way to pick up some main concepts of an art without having to spend years training (and having to start at the beginning). You will probably feel a little tired for your run the next day, but adrenaline will kick in and get you through your 5k. All that being said, you wrote that you are doing a 5k race, as opposed to a fun run. If you are a serious contender in the race, you may want to respectfully decline the seminar invite.

It is a 5K trail race, not a lot of "fun" involved, as the trail is classed "moderate to difficult." Yes, I could take it easy and even walk it, because I am not likely to be a serious contender, instead most likely being mid-pack in my age group. However, I am competitive with myself, and want to do well.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Decide which ones more important to you the run or the seminar. Personally I've never really bothered with seminars the ones I've done have always been a waste of time and nothing more than the guy trying to make some quick cash but it's your choice
I have been to some very good and informative seminars and some very bad. This sounded like a seminar/fund raiser for the hosting Master. Can't be all bad. That said, I do not know the gentleman at all.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, yes, it is my choice ultimately. In the present case, there is no doubt that they are trying to make some quick cash, to cover medical expenses and final arrangement costs for him, since he is apparently terminally ill. Most of the seminars will be given by others, such as Tokey Hill.

The race has become a tradition for my oldest daughter and me, this would be our fourth.
Would it be all that physically demanding at the seminar? Sounds like an honorable event but you cannot miss the memories with your daughter.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been to a few seminars and those at least were not in the slightest demanding physically, they did however drag on at bit, long past the point they were interesting, so somewhere in the third hour,,so if those are typical then all you have to worry about is boredom induced exhaustion

Ours are all just murder matches. I did an in house wrestling comp in one.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would it be all that physically demanding at the seminar? Sounds like an honorable event but you cannot miss the memories with your daughter.

He is running 5k the next day. So he gets up a bit sore. Does an extra warm up. Mabye loose a few seconds in a competition that isn't for sheep stations.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Going to seminars is like traveling the world. Some people love it because it opens your mind and broadens your horizons , others prefer to sit at home, watch TV and sleep in their own bed.
Every major leap forward in my training was due to the ideas I received being at a seminar. The benefit is not the day of training, it's the exposure to ideas you didn't have before.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been to some very good and informative seminars and some very bad. This sounded like a seminar/fund raiser for the hosting Master. Can't be all bad. That said, I do not know the gentleman at all.

I've never met him, but he is known and respected in the area. My instructor has known him for decades, it seems, and speaks well of him.

I've decided to do the seminar, and get up and run the 5K. I'm not sure how physically demanding the seminar will be, but I will plan for it being challenging. I may be sore, but I presume I'll survive. This 5K is to benefit a local nature preserve and raptor rehabilitation center, which is the reason my daughter and I look forward to running it. We've spent a lot of time there. Granted, I've paid my entry, and my daughter will pick up my packet with shirt and stuff on Saturday, but I'l run or hobble it as necessary! Like I mentioned, I compete with myself. While my running hasn't been what I would like so far this year, I'm still about 20 some pounds lighter than last years run, so I hope my time will be at least on par.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should go, bro. And there’s no down side if Tokey teaches. (He’s an old teammate of mine)

I love seminars. The first one I went to was Joe Lewis. 72 I think. Completely changed everything we did. Joe became one of my primary teachers. Years later he would stay at my house when he did seminars in New England. I learned as much about fighting in my kitchen as I did in my dojo.

You should go. Besides, your teacher asked you to. Give it a shot.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, I love seminars, and go to whichever ones I get a chance to. Like the others have said, it's not only just about the day but the opportunity to broaden your knowledge, skill and understanding. We get so used to training within our own little group that it can often be all we know and experience so it's an awesome to idea to expand on it and apply new concepts. Even just to play around with certain ideas you learn from the seminar into your own training is so valuable. And it's always so great connecting with like-minded folk!

But it's always a good idea to email whoever is organising/teaching the seminar, listing your background, level and current training and asking if it would be appropriate or suitable for you to attend. Most I've found have been really accommodating, especially if I tell them I've had injuries and they say just don't do anything or to make sure I pull out of anything that causes pain.

But highly recommend you go only if you're interested :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor has asked me to attend a seminar with him. He even offered to pay my way. For those able to bring up The Book of Faces, it is mentioned briefly here:

A Day with Master Nikya Yamashita

On the one hand, I'm honored that he thinks I'm up to it and would consider it a valuable learning experience. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I am anywhere near up to speed enough to attend a seminar of this nature, since I have only been back in training for a few months, and I don't wish to embarrass myself, let alone him. Add to this I have a 5K trail race the next day, and I am worried I may be biting off more than I can chew if I decide to attend. So, thoughts? Opinions?

I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Okay, I'll preface this with a warning that I'm not sure I'm qualified to deal with the "bite off more than I can chew" question. For context, I had foot surgery two days ago, and am (still) planning to do a 5K mud run on June 1st and a 10-mile mud run on June 2nd. So, just keep that in mind.

As for the rest, trust your instructor. You'll feel inadequate, and that might be a good lesson. He thinks you'll be a good example and will learn well from it, so I'd take that advice.

Much of my best learning "leaps" happened during or right after seminars. Something they say or teach suddenly makes sense of something I've been taught for years.

Johnsamurai

White Belt
Reaction score
Seminars are important. Go and have fun. Those who skip only learn regret.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neil Adams

His seminars are great. The other one's I go to are Iain Abernethy's, and quite often multi style ones for charity. The latter I have always managed to learn something I would never get in my style, there's always a great community spirit as well as raising money for good cause.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never met him, but he is known and respected in the area. My instructor has known him for decades, it seems, and speaks well of him.

I've decided to do the seminar, and get up and run the 5K. I'm not sure how physically demanding the seminar will be, but I will plan for it being challenging. I may be sore, but I presume I'll survive. This 5K is to benefit a local nature preserve and raptor rehabilitation center, which is the reason my daughter and I look forward to running it. We've spent a lot of time there. Granted, I've paid my entry, and my daughter will pick up my packet with shirt and stuff on Saturday, but I'l run or hobble it as necessary! Like I mentioned, I compete with myself. While my running hasn't been what I would like so far this year, I'm still about 20 some pounds lighter than last years run, so I hope my time will be at least on par.

I am not sure how much protection these guys need.

images-2.jpg

I think competition with yourself shouldn't be about gaining advantages anyway. I like to win rolls in jits. But I turn up murdered from the class before.

And will still target the fresh guys and try to get them. That is the competition.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
His seminars are great. The other one's I go to are Iain Abernethy's, and quite often multi style ones for charity. The latter I have always managed to learn something I would never get in my style, there's always a great community spirit as well as raising money for good cause.
Ah Iain is coming to Melbourne soon to do one, unsure if I'm going but his stuff is really insightful

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah Iain is coming to Melbourne soon to do one, unsure if I'm going but his stuff is really insightful

If you can go please do, he's a very good instructor, open minded and very funny, makes light work of learning. His accent can be a bit difficult sometimes though. :D

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you can go please do, he's a very good instructor, open minded and very funny, makes light work of learning. His accent can be a bit difficult sometimes though. :D
Ah cool thanks for that, will keep it in mind for sure :)

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, part one is done. I had fun in general, other than getting paired up with a guy who apparently understands "light contact" as only lightly bruising the ribs, and having a kung fu stylist demonstrating a technique for another partner cause my cervical vertebrae to pop and left me feeling as though I have a bruised trachea, hurting to swallow. The presentations were informative, particularly Tokey Hill's, although his and another were reminiscent of what Joe Lewis taught 25 years ago.

We'll see how the race goes tomorrow. Right now I don't feel like I should have any muscle soreness in my legs, and breathing doesn't seem to be a problem. Tomorrow I could feel significantly different, though!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome, great stuff! And yeah that annoys me when people can't tone it down, or go too hard to prove something.

But glad you enjoyed it :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, part one is done. I had fun in general, other than getting paired up with a guy who apparently understands "light contact" as only lightly bruising the ribs, and having a kung fu stylist demonstrating a technique for another partner cause my cervical vertebrae to pop and left me feeling as though I have a bruised trachea, hurting to swallow. The presentations were informative, particularly Tokey Hill's, although his and another were reminiscent of what Joe Lewis taught 25 years ago.

We'll see how the race goes tomorrow. Right now I don't feel like I should have any muscle soreness in my legs, and breathing doesn't seem to be a problem. Tomorrow I could feel significantly different, though!
Hope you told them to lighten up. People shouldn't just let people act like idiots. Anytime I've had that I've told them to take it easy and if they don't listen I refuse to work with them. I'm not going myself injured just for some idiots ego

Latest Discussions