Thought Provoking

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

I am re-posting a bit I contributed over on WARRIOR-SCHOLAR in the hopes of getting some feedback regarding what I think is a very import bit for practitioners--- especially teachers to consider.

".........Yours is the kind of post that can get me to thinking all day long about what it is that I am working to do.

On the one hand I don't teach knitting classes and I expect my students to learn how to "take it" and learn how to "dish it out". From that point of view I need to know that my students are technically competent and understand what power technical competence gives them.

On the other hand each of my students has a personal best and not all of those "personal bests" are on a par with each other. While a lot of my students like learning some new wrist-lock or a particularly effective takedown, just about everyone appreciates the "thought for the day" that I use to close the class--- some view or advice that helps them practically use what they are learning in the class in every day interactions with others.

You raise a truely difficult question. I don't train my students to all be bouncers or "coolers", but some of them DO want to use their skills this way. Conversely I don't want my students harboring some false sense of confidence if I know for a fact that they can't execute a technique with the proper authority to make it work and so take care of themselves. Its a conundrum that I think every teacher will, should and must face down and I appreciate your underscoring the challenge with your post. Can't say I have completely mastered the question just yet. Probably never will, yes? ...."

OK, so here is the questions for either students or teachers.

"What is it that you expect from your ________."

Into the blank you can either put "teacher" if you are a student or maybe run a school with a number of teachers under you. You can also put "students" if you run a school or organization and have people coming to you for education. The point of the question is to ask folks to share what it is that they are coming to the other person for---- what are your expectations for the other person. Make sense?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Best Wishes,

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I understand you. Please allow me to give example of what I think you're saying to ensure I'm on the same page.

I have seen registration forms with the following question: "Why are you interested in learning martial arts? What do you hope to gain from it?" There is space provided for their answer, thus their instruction can be guided in an appropriate fashion to suit their needs or interests.

Are we saying the same thing?

:asian:

D

Disco

"What is it that you expect from your ________."

Teacher - As a student I expect my teacher to have the appropriate knowledge and abilities to transfer that knowledge to myself and other's. I further expect that my teacher will/should have my safety and best interests foremost in his/her mind.

Student - As an instructor, I expect my student(s) to openly accept and question (when necessary) the knowledge I offer. I also expect students to give of themselves. To put forth the effort to be there to learn and retain. To understand and hopefully adapt a proper mindset as to what happens when their training is used and the consequences that could stem from it.

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Shesulsa and Disco:

I think most of the discussions that might come from a string like this might start and stop where you did. So---- I'm going to push to see if anyone can go to the next step--- which is actually where I would like to start.

".....As a student I expect my teacher to have............my.....best interests foremost in his/her mind........"

Yes, and what exactly should those "best interests" be?

"........As an instructor, I expect my student(s) to.......... understand and hopefully adapt a proper mindset as to what happens when their training is used and the consequences that could stem from it........."

And what does that proper mindset look and sound like? What are its behavioral properties?

This is a bit closer to what I had in mind.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions