This. Ugly, painful.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Georgette is a solid, dedicated bjj player. Reading this was so painful.
for Danielle, enduring this must have been hideous. what to do?

Georgette s Jiu Jitsu World Gracie Barra 6th degree blackbelt Nelson Monteiro accused of felony domestic violence

This is Danielle Martin, a new black belt and longtime instructor out at Gracie Barra Encinitas (California.) Like many instructors, she is an ambassador for her academy and the sport, teaching groups from Girl Scout troops to corporate seminars, women's classes, self defense, and children's classes.

That night....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that is indeed tragic. I will wait till this goes to court to give my thoughts. If it gets in the papers I would like a link to the courts finding

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We weren't there. We don't know what really happened.

But I read every word of that post and police report. F him. May karma do it's job.

It's bad. Under any circumstances, any, I don't care what they are. Unacceptable. But the night of her black belt? That might not matter to most, certainly not to the public at large, and certainly not in the grand scheme of things. But it makes me sicker than it usually does.

Oh, F him.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The charge against him was dropped. Isn't it supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? Well guess what, he wasn't found to be guilty. He wasn't even tried. The ADA dropped it like a bad habit.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The charge against him was dropped. Isn't it supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? Well guess what, he wasn't found to be guilty. He wasn't even tried. The ADA dropped it like a bad habit.

Most domestic violence charges end up dropped, because the abuser is typically a master manipulator and the victim refuses to testify.
Real guilt or innocence has nothing to do with the court system.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Was not her willingness or any manipulation on his part. He said/she said. Nothing substantial to go on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was not her willingness or any manipulation on his part. He said/she said. Nothing substantial to go on.

Which is also (not surprisingly) the case is most domestic violence cases. There are rarely witnesses.
As I said, the fact that charges were dropped says absolutely nothing, zilch, nada, bupkiss, about guilt or innocence.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most domestic violence charges end up dropped, because the abuser is typically a master manipulator and the victim refuses to testify.
Real guilt or innocence has nothing to do with the court system.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

That's not why "most" domestic violence charges are dropped it has nothing to do with being a master manipulator. Most charges are dropped because the couple makes up or the victim no longer wishes for it to go forward. Ive known many cases where the couple split up and are no longer together and the victim just wants to move on with their lives. Court cases take months some times a year or more to come to trial. If the victim has moved on with their life they dont want to come to court and face the attacker again. OR they couple has made up and are happy again and again the victim wants no further action. OR what also happens is the victim exaggerates the claim of assault during the heat of the moment because they are mad and months later they are over it OR a suspect and victim work out a civil $$$$$ arrangement to get the criminal charges dropped
But you are correct in that just because a case was dropped has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man, what is up with Gracie Barra?

Pretty crappy to see that the victim was cast out of the gym, and not the perp.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

It's just that huge, with that many black belts. Any organization gets that big is bound to let in a few bad eggs. Add to this that it's a business, so you have "premium" schools, which are official GB schools. You now have GB schools that are paying a fee to use the affiliation name, but aren't necessarily GB black belts (ie, through Carlos Gracie Jr.). In other words, it's a business, and there's only so much scumbaggery you can detect ahead of time. Overall, I think they, like most other martial arts, do an okay job of keeping the predators out of the schools.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

you have no idea what you are talking about. It is people like you who speak out of the wrong orifice that help lies and rumors spread. all you have to go on is what that woman wrote in her blog. the real question is who was the victim? There are only 2 people that know what really happened. there are two very different sides to the story and you have only read about/heard one of them. Both were asked to stay away. He did not start teaching again until April. Anyone can file a police report and accuse anyone of anything. He was not proven guilty or innocent...neither was she...charges were dismissed.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One the things that wonder being is if this kind of abhorrent behaviour is somehow scripted if you will. Is a bloke born to do this, or just moulded by lifes less than savoury afflictions. From a personal point of view, I have seen domestic violence. Even now I wonder what part of humanity within them becomes so twisted, that they turn on sixpence and lash out. In my ignorance I guess, I tend to view certain cultures for some it. Without getting political or whatnot, the way women are treated in some parts of the world beggars belief. And to be ostracized for the OP story, and others, really don't get it.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that women are treated harsh and unfairly in many parts of the world. is horrible and unfair. this is not one of those cases

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you have no idea what you are talking about. It is people like you who speak out of the wrong orifice that help lies and rumors spread. all you have to go on is what that woman wrote in her blog. the real question is who was the victim? There are only 2 people that know what really happened. there are two very different sides to the story and you have only read about/heard one of them. Both were asked to stay away. He did not start teaching again until April. Anyone can file a police report and accuse anyone of anything. He was not proven guilty or innocent...neither was she...charges were dismissed.

Yeah, on one side you have a woman and on the other you have larger and more powerful man who is more highly trained. No offense to Ms. Martin's abilities, but I highly doubt that Nelson Monteiro would be in any physical danger even on Ms. Martin's best day.

Additionally when it comes to physical violence, I tend to not side with the male when the opposing side is a female. Especially when the female has visible bruises on her body.

As for Gracie Barra, this is like the fourth such incident that has befallen the organization in recent years. So yeah, I do have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know about this guy, but christiano, the gb black belt in Yakima, just pleaded no contest and is looking at like three years in prison. On an iPad or I'd look for a link.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about this guy, but christiano, the gb black belt in Yakima, just pleaded no contest and is looking at like three years in prison. On an iPad or I'd look for a link.
Yeah, That guy is a scumbag.

Latest Discussions