This totally blew my mind. Street Boxing

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I'm searching youtube for goin strikes on Youtube to make the point that if your system has more than 2 types of groin strikes, then that system pretty much doesn't care about "clean fighting". So I've abandon that search because of the video below. What blew my mind is that it uses the same concepts that are found in Jow Ga but more specifically it has some of the same concepts that I've demonstrated in my shadow boxing.

I don't know if he's serious about what he posted or if he's exploring new things on his own. Definitely wouldn't call it cockroach boxing lol.

So what's similar?

1. The footwork and wide stance. In Jow Ga I use a wide stance and short shuffles, Because my stance is low, my leg is always ready to push forward or backwards. There's no need for me to get into the ready position because I'm already in it.

2. The hook to the liver hook and footwork. I show the same thing in the video below.. You can even see the kick at 1:20.

It's a crazy world, or is it just me?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I went to find the cockroach boxing video. Yep crazy world

My opinion is that he makes it too complicated, It's a reliable technique and there are better ways to pull it off than what he's showing. But he's definitely exploring some new ways to strike. I would be curious to know how log he sticks with it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
goin strikes
If you

- punch on your opponent's groin, your opponent can punch on your head. A twin peaks to the ears can be deadly.
- shoot at your opponent's leg, your opponent can get a reverse head lock (guillotine) on you.

I don't have faith in body punch. IMO, if I don't punch on my opponent's head, I may have to fight him from sun raise until sun set.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you

- punch on your opponent's groin, your opponent can punch on your head. A twin peaks to the ears can be deadly.
- shoot at your opponent's leg, your opponent can get a reverse head lock (guillotine) on you.

I don't have faith in body punch. IMO, if I don't punch on my opponent's head, I may have to fight him from sun raise until sun set.
I feel the same way. In terms of boxing he would be safe from any rising knees or kicks. He would still have to watch for that punch to the face. When I first experimented with that punch, I was afraid I was going to get kneed or kick. I also found that it put me in a bad spot when my sparring partner moved backwards. In trying to figure it out, it seems like it would be better to do it in close range and at an angle. The target also shouldn't be the groin, it should be the thigh. The angle should keep me safe from a knee if comes. It should also prevent my opponent from moving backwards. If I attack head on, then then natural response is to move backwards. If I take an angle then the natural response is to pivot in order to deal with the angle. If I can drop low fast enough then it should trigger a grappling defense from the person and not a punching attack.

It's been a long time since I've played with the dropping punch, but punching the groin is out, Also hitting someone with the top of my head is also out. Not saying that it's not an option. But definitely saying it's not an option for me.

The vertical fist thrust punch was also interesting. Not the way I do mine, but interesting to see him try to blend that with boxing. I wonder what his follow up is. It's not like he can just stand there in a pose after that punch

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Groin attacks are banned in the UFC for a good reason. They work.

If they didn't there wouldn't be a need to ban them. They end fights, and entire hereditary lineages.

Plus, you can enhance them with electrical current.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

And if I'm to be attacked, please let it be by one of those guys. Pretty please with artichokes on top.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went to find the cockroach boxing video. Yep crazy world

My opinion is that he makes it too complicated, It's a reliable technique and there are better ways to pull it off than what he's showing. But he's definitely exploring some new ways to strike. I would be curious to know how log he sticks with it.
Strange punch, that gazelle punch. He is trying to use a body rotation to power it, but his rotation happens when he is in the air, disconnected from the ground. No foundation that way, no use of the legs for power in the punch. Someone strong enough might still be effective with it, but a whole lot of power potential is bled away that way. I suppose he figures the trade off is in being able to reposition, but I wouldn’t do it that way.

I don’t find myself impressed.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is very similar to the first application from a kata we call umbe, in my system, I believe it is spelled Enpi/Empi in others.

But, it starts with the attacker punching, you duck and drop striking the pelvic bone and a cross to the forward kneecap and finish with whatever you desire.

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you

There is a great chance for your opponent to punch hard on your face, nose, or head to make you down to the ground. If the opponent closes his legs then it will be hard to reach growing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is "Clean Fighting"?

Sounds like an oxymoron.

SoapRope.jpg
I think it's a fight with the old soap on a rope.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Strange punch, that gazelle punch. He is trying to use a body rotation to power it, but his rotation happens when he is in the air, disconnected from the ground. No foundation that way, no use of the legs for power in the punch. Someone strong enough might still be effective with it, but a whole lot of power potential is bled away that way. I suppose he figures the trade off is in being able to reposition, but I wouldn’t do it that way.

I'm always at someone who is willing to explore and try to figure things out. If Kung Fu is the long route then he's taking the super long path. But still I rather see people try instead of just blindly calling it crap and then walk away without ever exploring anything.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

And if I'm to be attacked, please let it be by one of those guys. Pretty please with artichokes on top.
Keep dreaming on that wish lol

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Different method of power generation. Using rotation force through the ground is one way, this is another. Every method has advantages and trade offs. This method trades a little power for the angle change and quickness of it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is "Clean Fighting"?

Sounds like an oxymoron.

Not really. There are various herbs, liniments, and ointments to make things cleaner.

For example, there are methods for treating a swollen scrotum in Kung Fu.

Those without scrotum, well they already know this stuff from their mothers.

Latest Discussions