This is precisely what I would be afraid of!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mmmm, recently where I live at University there are have recent reports in the nearby town that groups of youths are persistantly going out to cause fights. I dont mean in the way that it usually happens I mean in this kind of way!

http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-22.htm

They wait outside pubs and clubs to attack those who come out, so much so that most clubs have now hired security, not that its going to solve the problem!
Im worried for my friends sake who dont really think about the consquences of it and my own safety. I mean I have been into this town quite a few times and we know it has a reputation, also this other town nearby which is simply notorious because it has so many violent chavs. However the town I would go into Im not sure if I could deal with it, if it happened! Im not sure if I could protect my friends, or even with multiple opponents like this guy in the video, what would I do? what are you supposed to do? With friends and say girlfriends around you couldnt just turn and walk away and leave them?
What would you suggest?

Regards

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't look at the video but it seems to me if you know a specific area to be unsafe, avoid that area. Look for a different part of town to hang out in. Martial artists are human. There's only so much you're going to able to do to protect yourself, and your friends, in any situation. If you are aware of multiple opponent attacks being planned in the areas you frequent, I would find somewhere else to go.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Mmmm, recently where I live at University there are have recent reports in the nearby town that groups of youths are persistantly going out to cause fights. I dont mean in the way that it usually happens I mean in this kind of way!

They wait outside pubs and clubs to attack those who come out, so much so that most clubs have now hired security, not that its going to solve the problem!
Im worried for my friends sake who dont really think about the consquences of it and my own safety. I mean I have been into this town quite a few times and we know it has a reputation, also this other town nearby which is simply notorious because it has so many violent chavs. However the town I would go into Im not sure if I could deal with it, if it happened! Im not sure if I could protect my friends, or even with multiple opponents like this guy in the video, what would I do? what are you supposed to do? With friends and say girlfriends around you couldnt just turn and walk away and leave them?
What would you suggest?

Regards

The Video is a couple of years old.

Some were speaking English, but I think I heard some eastern European languages as well. Are you sure that was England?

What would you suggest?
Not be there in the first place.

Make sure your friends and those with you, do not attract attention of the predators. Be aware and do not let them sneak up on you, but do not be overly loud to attract attention as being too drunk to defend yourself.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Where i live there's a backwater skating rink i use to go to all the time, people would jumpm people all the time there, so i made sure when i went i'd go with 4-6 friends. If your going to go to places where's there's risks, bring some protectuon of your own, sometimes i carry a little knife with me, if someone pulls a knife on me...then at least i can even it up. And who knows if i pull out a knife too it might scare them thinking *chit he'll stab us" so just go prepared :) tho it's best to not go in the first place!!!

Laborn

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
That video is actually of a bunch of people who owned a website, and the guy being kicked in the head a lot was talking a load of **** on their website. Thats apparently what the whole thing was about when i first saw that video years ago, weather or not its true is another matter. I grew up with a bunch of lads who would initiate similar situations to that and i used to hate being around that, i mean i was in no danger but i would just be stood around and that made me feel so cowardly and pathetic, hopefully a lot of people in that situation feel more like i did and cease to gravitate toward that behaviour as much.

I also realise that the problem starts younger and younger nowadays, a friend of mine was headbutted this week by a "chav" for absoloutely no reason, my other friend had a black eye from the same incident and there was no provocation and the area in which it happened wasn't notible for its violence. The attacks are random and unprovoked, i recal 3 years ago a bunch of us were stood around talking and 3 guys passed by us and casually broke my friends nose as he passed and carried on walking without stopping or anything. This **** happens all over and to be honest i'm not entirely sure why, i mean i figure its a serious insecurity and maybe even related toward upbringing.

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to what to do, walking away is an option if you are alone or with able friends, although running is quicker. I found that after taking up martial arts i attracted a lot less of this type of altercation myself, in fact confidence will dissipate a lot of it, beyond that i found that being able to defuse a situation before it esculates helps, wouldn't help my friend 3 years ago, theres somethings that there is nothing you can do to defend against. Unfortunately the best and most effective soloution is to be aware and yellow alert all the time and try your best not to be in places where these things happen. Not always possible in these situations at all unless you stay in your house 24/7. Its unfortunate that things are like this and good evenings out are ruined in this way but theres little more you can do without ruining your own life, it baffles me why it has to be like this it really does.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Where i live there's a backwater skating rink i use to go to all the time, people would jumpm people all the time there, so i made sure when i went i'd go with 4-6 friends. If your going to go to places where's there's risks, bring some protectuon of your own, sometimes i carry a little knife with me, if someone pulls a knife on me...then at least i can even it up. And who knows if i pull out a knife too it might scare them thinking *chit he'll stab us" so just go prepared :) tho it's best to not go in the first place!!!

Laborn

Screw taking a knife, i'm not about to add to the risk of me getting stabbed.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Always travel in groups and let each other know if something does happen ,we will stay as a group.

Victims act like victims will become victims. Do not act stuff and always remember when someone is aggressive in there tone of behavior..think of it as an interview ( they want to know how you are going to behave). If you act scare...they will escalate it. Don't yell back or let your EGO's /pride get in the way. Know when to be silent

Talk regular and be nice and leave. Have a mature tone and actions.

If they sense you will fight back...if you are attack...by seeing your not scare face....they may back off.

Bullies do not want to get hurt....buts wants to hurt you.......READ VERBAL JUDO.......this will help......................Aloha

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Always travel in groups and let each other know if something does happen ,we will stay as a group.

Victims act like victims will become victims. Do not act stuff and always remember when someone is aggressive in there tone of behavior..think of it as an interview ( they want to know how you are going to behave). If you act scare...they will escalate it. Don't yell back or let your EGO's /pride get in the way. Know when to be silent

Talk regular and be nice and leave. Have a mature tone and actions.

If they sense you will fight back...if you are attack...by seeing your not scare face....they may back off.

Bullies do not want to get hurt....buts wants to hurt you.......READ VERBAL JUDO.......this will help......................Aloha
Some good advice.

Keep in mind, the kind of aggression illustrated in the video is designed to humiliate the victim and improve the standing of the perpetrator in front of his friends. He won't pick someone he likely might lose to in order to serve that purpose, as losing would be counter-productive. In other words, they don't really want a fight. They will fight if you are an easy mark (predator) AND they will fight if they feel you've attacked their ego in front of their friends (Defensive-i.e. defending their ego).

I've found that being respectful to others, while maintaining respect for yourself and a certain amount of assertiveness will avert many fights. You can be assertive AND respectful. Simply when asserting yourself, don't make it a contest between you and them.

I knew a guy who always threatened to hold down and bleed all over anyone who was trying to pick a fight with him (I figured the moron got that from Fight Club). Oddly enough, it worked. They usually avoided any further confrontation.

Humor is also a good tool to break the ice. In fact, doing anything but engaging in the back and forth 'Ram Dance' that usually preceeds these type of confrontations is a good start.

If you'll even notice, no one usually walks up and starts hitting someone else, unless they have a particular reason to be mad at that person. If they are trying to pick a fight for the sole purpose of proving their 'manhood' to their 'mates', they'll usually feel out potential victims with some taunts and rude behavior, to see their reaction.

This happens in prison, and how it does will illustrate a point. In prison, another prisoner will usually approach a new inmate and potential mark, maybe at the cafeteria. They'll ask if they can have a food item. Or ask if they can 'have something'. If the new guy is so intimidated as to give in, he's seen as a mark. If he stands his ground, he's far better off, even if that leads to a fight. If he's shown he's willing to fight in order NOT to be a mark, the other inmates grant him some respect.

I'm not saying fight. I AM saying be willing to fight if it comes to that, though, if you stand your ground and DON'T act like a mark (i.e. try to appease the bully) they may just leave you alone. Usually the best time to set your boundaries is right at the beginning.

Don't just stand there and hide when they yell some taunt at you from across the way. At least acknowledge that you've been insulted. Show them you refuse to simply allow rude behavior. I usually make eye-contact with someone directly taunting me. If you avoid looking at them, they know you're a mark.

If they taunt you, tell them a joke, make it funny. Do something bizarre. Humor and bizarre behavior has gotten me out of a few fights. If you make them laugh AND/OR they think you're certifiably insane, they'll leave you alone. Smile a lot, don't look nervous. Smile at everything, laugh a lot, especially at inappropriate times. If they're about to beat you, laugh hysterically. If they do hit you, laugh even harder.

One more thing....Don't get drunk around that kind of crowd. If you're sober, and they're drunk, you'll have the drop on them if it comes to a physical altercation. Hit fast, hit hard. If they're intoxicated and you're sober, you'll be faster than most of them will be, the drunker they are the better.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:

What would you suggest?

Regards

If an area is known to be a problem place, I'd do my best to stay away from that area. Why put yourself into a potential bad situation?

One thing I notice though, is that this person on the clip did nothing to protect himself. He continued to endure this beating that he was getting. Rather than keep sitting there, he should have A) tried to remove himself from the area. Why keep sitting there if the chance for leaving/running is an option? Or B) start defending yourself!

Mike

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
If an area is known to be a problem place, I'd do my best to stay away from that area. Why put yourself into a potential bad situation?

One thing I notice though, is that this person on the clip did nothing to protect himself. He continued to endure this beating that he was getting. Rather than keep sitting there, he should have A) tried to remove himself from the area. Why keep sitting there if the chance for leaving/running is an option? Or B) start defending yourself!

Mike
Exactly, the 'sit there and take the beating until they are done' method only encourages sadistic little punks. Make them at least work for it....if nothing else, they'll get tired quicker.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Imagine if we have no Bullies and bad people? Would martial arts have discover?

Always avoid and be humble, know about awareness (instincts) trust it and know when to leave.

Ego's and your pride - don't let it get you kill or someone else near you....Aloha

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You've gotten a lot of great advice. If at all possible, avoid the area, at least during the times the punks are there. Walk with confidence, not like a potential victim who is just trying not to be noticed. Don't travel alone. Speak respectfully and confidently and watch your back. While your talking, one of the other punks could be about to clock you on the back of the head. If it comes to a confrontation, take one of them out as quickly and brutally as you can, then move on to the next one, if necessary. Don't be fancy, get it done and get out.

Our first goal as martial artists is to avoid a confrontation, if at all possible. Sometimes, it means "taking it" when you don't want to. If there's absolutely no way to avoid it, take control of the situation and end it. There's no such thing as self defense in martial arts. In the moment, it's all offense until it's over.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Given the situaiton you desribe, what I would do is this:

Go back inside the venue, and explain to the security staff that there is a gang of violent youths outside. If the person you speak to refuses to do anything about it, note his number and then speak to someone else.

Then it's their problem, and they'll either move the people on or call the police to get them moved.

Latest Discussions