this is a sad state of affairs

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a Kukki scholar and will defer to those who are. Somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain I thought I read that the designated romanization of KKW was Tkd and that they had a reason for it. I read it on the internet so it must be true:)

The WTF has certainly stated the correct written form is Taekwondo, I don't know about the Kukkiwon. This is from the (old) quarterly WTF magazine, scanned and put online by mastercole:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grandmastercole/6356271573/in/photostream

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I submit that it is not meaningless to the extent that certain groups seem to stipulate a particular romanization and from the General Choi system perspective there was a reason for it. So, if a group that purports to follow General Choi's system uses something other than Tk-D at this pooint in time, they've screwed up. (in the early days all sorts of stuff was out there.)

I am not a Kukki scholar and will defer to those who are. Somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain I thought I read that the designated romanization of KKW was Tkd and that they had a reason for it. I read it on the internet so it must be true:)
Well, I have never seen any sort of stipulation in the KKW textbook, but Tkd would make sense, given that taekwondo is one word. But that wasn't what I was getting at.

There are literally no fewer than fifty taekwondo schools in Montgomery County, and I'm pretty sure that none of them are ITF. The only one that I know of that claimed to be of ITF lineage is Kang's Black Belt Academy, but when I directed someone there who was asking about ITF schools in Montgomery County, he went and said that they are not ITF, but WTF. I talked to the owner, and got the impression that they are independent.

Anyway, of all of these non ITF schools, there is no consistency as to how they write taekwondo on their signage. I have, in the state of Maryland, seen all of the following:
  • Taekwondo
  • Taekwon Do
  • Taekwon-Do
  • Tae Kwon Do
  • Tae-Kwon-Do
  • TKD
  • Tkd
  • T.K.D.
  • TK-D
  • T-K-D
So, from that signage, according to yourself and other ITF-ers, the second and third should be indicators that those are ITF schools, but they are not. None of them are ITF. But all of them are indicative of how westerners Romanize Asian words.

My point wasn't that some ITF schools may have "screwed up," but that since the ITF schools are not the only ones writing it that way and since they are in the minority as far as percentage of TKD schools go, it is meaningless with regards to differentiating an ITF school from a non-ITF school.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Daniel Sullivan;My point wasn't that some ITF schools may have "screwed up said:
Please do not misunderstand my point. If an ITF school uses something other than Tk-D, that school has screwed up. I did not mean to imply by extrapolation that if you saw Tk-D it would somehow assure you that it was an ITF school.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I submit that it is not meaningless to the extent that certain groups seem to stipulate a particular romanization and from the General Choi system perspective there was a reason for it. So, if a group that purports to follow General Choi's system uses something other than Tk-D at this pooint in time, they've screwed up. (in the early days all sorts of stuff was out there.)

What is the reason for the romanization Taekwon-Do by the ITF and/or General Choi?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My point wasn't that some ITF schools may have "screwed up," but that since the ITF schools are not the only ones writing it that way and since they are in the minority as far as percentage of TKD schools go, it is meaningless with regards to differentiating an ITF school from a non-ITF school.

Please do not misunderstand my point. If an ITF school uses something other than Tk-D, that school has screwed up. I did not mean to imply by extrapolation that if you saw Tk-D it would somehow assure you that it was an ITF school.
Ah! Got ya.:)

Latest Discussions