Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you got so called masters dogging on people FOR WINNING

you got other so called masters advocating for the removal of hand techniques

NO WONDER TKD is becomming the laughing stock of martial arts

and this crap and the people spewing it all have one thing in common:
WTF

i swear, that craptastic body in korea will kill this art if they are allowed to.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear the same thing locally, too, we've been killing Taekwondo for 15 years if you listen to some of the instructors. We killed it twice in November and again in January. Those of us who remember why we started, why we compete and why we teach kids to do the same thing will keep it alive. Taekwondo will outlive me, my kids, my kid's kid's because there will always be real martial artists in the Kukkiwon, the ITF and even the WTF who will keep it alive.

What matters is the kids. I go teach and there's a half dozen kids wearing doboks who want to learn what I have to show them, and I'm sure everyone else has the same thing. Those are the new generation, the next crop of great martial artists who will reinvent Taekwondo and take it into the future.

Look at Judo, they supposedly killed that in the 90's and again when newaza started getting phased out. Because we have newaza time limits we have some of the best Judo groundfighters ever just because they're so explosive and powerful.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
you got so called masters dogging on people FOR WINNING

NO WONDER TKD is becomming the laughing stock of martial arts

and this crap and the people spewing it all have one thing in common:
WTF

i swear, that craptastic body in korea will kill this art if they are allowed to.
we also have kong soo do starting an interesting thread asking about the different training approaches from different clubs. Two people jump on the thread and accuse him of having an agenda, and posting the thread to highlight perceived weaknesses of "sport tkd". What the? He just asked a question, no malice, no style bashing, nothing sinister, but people jump on and accuse him of such things. Sometimes I wish the tkd section was split in two- one section for those who train/instruct/compete/ coach sport tkd and a second for those interested in the martial art side of tkd. My instructor told me a long time ago that tkd is split, and I honestly had no idea what he meant. Im starting to understand now.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't have to look to Korea, what ruins Taekwondo can be found in the spirit of this this thread.

I think that sentiment is dying though, the "taekwondo sucks, it doesn't have face punches, it is no good for self defense, it is a sport and not a real martial art", etc. I think the majority of students (and their parents) today aren't looking for that eye poking, face punching, hard core "that guy who attacked me is sure lucky there isn't a broom handle in the alley" type of mentality. they don't want that for their kids. They don't want their kids to poke someone's eye out, or maim them or learn the old "it's better to get judged by twelve than carried by six" type of thing. They want some physical exercise, they want their kids to have fun, they want their kids to lose weight and get off the sofa and put down the playstation or wii and get out of the house.

If people do want that sort of thing, they aren't showing up to a taekwondo class. They are going someplace else.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am not advocating for the removal of hand techniques in taekwondo, just in the competition format, shihap kyorugi. You can punch all you want in self defense, in poomsae, in kyuk pa, where ever else in taekwondo. Or do you find it too hard to compartmentalize like that?

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
take out punches.....better not call it tkd then, call it korean ballet or something....

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
there you have it folks, right from the horse's mouth

TKD, its for fat kids. If you want self defense, go elsewhere.

i think i am gonna vomit

I think that sentiment is dying though, the "taekwondo sucks, it doesn't have face punches, it is no good for self defense, it is a sport and not a real martial art", etc. I think the majority of students (and their parents) today aren't looking for that eye poking, face punching, hard core "that guy who attacked me is sure lucky there isn't a broom handle in the alley" type of mentality. they don't want that for their kids. They don't want their kids to poke someone's eye out, or maim them or learn the old "it's better to get judged by twelve than carried by six" type of thing. They want some physical exercise, they want their kids to have fun, they want their kids to lose weight and get off the sofa and put down the playstation or wii and get out of the house.

If people do want that sort of thing, they aren't showing up to a taekwondo class. They are going someplace else.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and another thing, since when do 6th dans get to call themselves GRANDmaster

the ****ing ego in some people is sickening

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
According to the WTF I'm Master Terris. I'm a 19 year old first dan, I ain't master of ****. I don't go by it obviously

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Twin Fist, you certainly pick on WTF TKD a lot. What is your opinion of the ITF version of the art?

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think their sparring rules are great. the schools in general all teach solid self defense in my experience.

I will eat a bullit before i do sine wave tho.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think their sparring rules are great. the schools in general all teach solid self defense in my experience.

I don't think I've agreed with you yet but I find your directness refreshing, I have to respect that.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score

I agree for the most part. It's a well-balanced art and the sparring rules are pretty great, all in all.

I also hate sine wave, but I'd be willing to endure it if I could be part of a great ITF school. It's not like you're expected to spar like that.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree for the most part. It's a well-balanced art and the sparring rules are pretty great, all in all.

I also hate sine wave, but I'd be willing to endure it if I could be part of a great ITF school. It's not like you're expected to spar like that.
we've had a lot of itf guys come and train with us, they are very well rounded. The wtf guys are good too generally, but when we start to do punching in sparring they are like a fish out of water. It doesnt take them long to get the hang of it, but at first if you rush them with a flurry of punches to the head they back peddle really quick. They actually punch quite well, but just need to learn how to incorporate it into fighting.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
we've had a lot of itf guys come and train with us, they are very well rounded. The wtf guys are good too generally, but when we start to do punching in sparring they are like a fish out of water. It doesnt take them long to get the hang of it, but at first if you rush them with a flurry of punches to the head they back peddle really quick. They actually punch quite well, but just need to learn how to incorporate it into fighting.

The WTF school I'm involved with now is purely sport oriented. I haven't seen a single punch throw yet after a few weeks of classes. (Not to say that no WTF schools teach good punching technique.)

If I wasn't also studying wado-ryu then I'd have a problem with it, but under the circumstances, I'm just looking at it as pure sport.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The WTF school I'm involved with now is purely sport oriented. I haven't seen a single punch throw yet after a few weeks of classes. (Not to say that no WTF schools teach good punching technique.)

If I wasn't also studying wado-ryu then I'd have a problem with it, but under the circumstances, I'm just looking at it as pure sport.
and thats where the problem lies. I have a mate who does kukkiwon tkd and he'd punch a hole right through you, but I have another mate who does kukkiwon tkd and wouldnt even know the basic fundamentals behind a punch, and he is a black belt. What happens when he moves town and his "transferable" kkw certification results in him prancing around in a black belt in a new school and cant punch. Ahh, where are the standards?

Latest Discussions