This forum I read in the link provided made my head hurt.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something most people don't know about punching

:bear:

There are just so many statements that I feel are just downright incorrect and or silly. What do you guys/women think?
I read a few comments, and I agree. My whole body is a weapon, and I work with my hands; so, I would just as soon grab someone by the hair, and bash them into random objects, than bring harm to old Lavern & Shirley, here. I'm just saying. :bored:

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just don't understand why many people think that hands are made out of glass. People act like that punching is more dangerous for yourself than the person getting hit by it. That is true, but only if you are some sort of newbie who does not understand how to punch properly.

And then how people are like "I been teaching mma for 25 years" then in the same sentence talk about how they don't recommend throwing punches because without gloves you will break your hands just made me roll my eyes.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just don't understand why many people think that hands are made out of glass. People act like that punching is more dangerous for yourself than the person getting hit by it. That is true, but only if you are some sort of newbie who does not understand how to punch properly.

And then how people are like "I been teaching mma for 25 years" then in the same sentence talk about how they don't recommend throwing punches because without gloves you will break your hands just made me roll my eyes.
You are making me roll my eyes, right now. o_O

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did I do something dumb? I been trying to not do that lately.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just don't understand why many people think that hands are made out of glass.
People usually think this way when they don't understand how to punch. Punching harder than what your hand and wrist is conditioned for isn't called punching. On a good day it's called damaging your hand. On a bad day it's called breaking your hand. People feel they need a glove on usually want to punch harder than what their hand is conditioned for. People who punch their attackers in the teeth clearly don't understand where they should be punching.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Something most people don't know about punching

:bear:

There are just so many statements that I feel are just downright incorrect and or silly. What do you guys/women think?
It is a forum about self sufficiency and survival of the finish of society, yes? Maybe these folk are not set out to be martial artists, more about surviving what goes down when what we are threatened with actually happen.. besides the take on punching, some useful information in the rest of the board though maybe??

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I learned from this thread is that I should always have throwing stars on me, and if I ever condition my hands I won't be able to zip my pants up. Good to know.

You'll have to get elastic waistbands then :)

I wrap our fighter's hands, I obviously need to charge for that service lol. I'm not going to go into why we wrap hands, I think everybody here knows. I would say though if you are going to brawl in the streets and be a real idiot you need not to get your hands marked by cuts etc, because trust me the police will be looking at them. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our corner man dosent charge a cent. We have to buy the bandages though.

Which by the way is two light crepe bandages and some tape. It doesn't exactly make my fists bricks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our corner man dosent charge a cent. We have to buy the bandages though.

Which by the way is two light crepe bandages and some tape. It doesn't exactly make my fists bricks.

We get ours from the army medics, it's all out of date stuff that would be thrown away otherwise. We use the thin dressing type and the crepe. Same with the surgical tape. The out of date triangular bandages and anything else, dressings etc we use to teach the Guides first aid. Nothing like saving tax payers money lol.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were to say one thing to the people in the thread it would be; "If you don't want to break your hands in a self defense situation then do some conditioning and learn to punch properly without gloves".

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fighting with gloves gives the comfort of "I can punch anywhere an not worry about hurting my hand" Fighting without gloves has more of the mind set of "I want my punches to land a certain way and in certain areas for maximum effect." With gloves = punches to the head Without gloves = punches to the bones that make the cheek or punch where the jaw connects, or punch the nose

Out of all of the techniques I've done and been hit with in sparring, very few if any hit me in my mouth. Maybe that's just me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I were to say one thing to the people in the thread it would be; "If you don't want to break your hands in a self defense situation then do some conditioning and learn to punch properly without gloves".

I would say if you don't want to get hurt in a self defence situation. Avoid self defence situations.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say if you don't want to get hurt in a self defence situation. Avoid self defence situations.

Getting hurt comes with the territory of martial arts training. I feel like everyone here knows that more or less but that other forum they don't.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting hurt comes with the territory of martial arts training. I feel like everyone here knows that more or less but that other forum they don't.

Yeah but survival does lean towards fantasy a bit anyway.

I mean if you wanted to do evidence based vs faith baised. Survivalism falls into the faith based trap all the time.

I have neen teaching mma for 25 years guy. And nobody asked where.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think it has much to do with conditioning one's hands. It has to do with understanding how to generate power and proper body mechanics, including proper fist formation. While there are many ways to make a fist, there are only a few proper ones, and most people do not do it instinctively; they have to be taught, and they have to practice.

I only read a few posts of the thread you linked to. Eye-rolling stupidity, in my opinion. But they are free to believe such twaddle if they wish.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Punching hard objects indiscriminately is a good way to break your hand, that's true. Punching well and not breaking your hands requires training. Most people don't have that training, and hence break their hands when they try.

Punching someone's forehead with a horizontal fist, impacting with only your pinky knuckle with a bent wrist is going to cause one some problems.

Striking properly will cause one less problems. Different schools have different ideas on the best way to do that. I'm a vertical fist, bottom three knuckle guy now. When I did Arnis, I was taught top two knuckles, and a variety of fist orientations, from horizontal to vertical to angled in between.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have broken my hand punching a guy in the head. It was in class, and I was wearing gloves, he ducked and covered and the crown of the skull is pretty hard. I was a brown belt getting ready for black, at that point I had more training than 90% of the public will ever have on how to make a fist and hurt someone with it. I was tired and certainly didn't use perfect form and I broke my hand.

Fortunately for me I was a wildlife biologist and not someone who needed to drive a wrench or a hammer for the next 6 weeks or so. I think they have a sound argument or people who are largely untrained in punching.

Latest Discussions