Things that p*ss me off...

J

Jill666

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
(To real Ninjutsu people: Not rippin' on ya'll......I have 2 friends that study NinjUtsu, one of which I have known for almost 20 years)

I'm studying Ninjutsu, and lauging my *** off over here. :D
Off to polish my shuriken now.

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"ifGozanryu speaks as one of the Saito-ryu tradition, I fear the worst..."

No Matt, I dont speak for the Senseii. I speak for me. I am not, in the purvey of this discussion, in anyones "camp". My position is simple, no matter how complicated you (i am sure it is that attorney thing) try to make it. The accused has more supporting evidence than you do. Period. You have nothing but heresay (did i spell that right?) I see, and understand your argument. I do not off-handedly discount it. I am suggesting that there is that chance that the Man is exactly who he says he is as far as his claims are concerned. He has reasonably supported his position. You have not. In my opinion it is upon you to now support your opinions with fact. It is also my opinion that it is of interest your aggression and disdain on this subject. It seems adolescent of you to question my opinion because I have only been registered on this board for a couple of days. Does that somehow mitigate my opinion on this subject?
Matt, you are a educated man. You are VERY passionate about this subject. I stipulate to that. If you stow your arrogance and attitude, spend some time re-reading the posts, I think it will be apparent to you the "bent" you have put in this discussion.

J

jdmills

I did find this on the net:

This set of exercises comes from a fantastic source, Shannon
Kawika Phelps. Shannon’s story is fascinating, and way too
long to tell in a small news letter, so we will skip to the chase so
to speak. He was in a diving maneuver in Pudget Sounds while
he was a part of the U. S. Navy Seals, and it was a night dive.
Through some unfortunate set of circumstances, he was
trapped 90 ft. underwater, with his dive buddy leaving him to
return to the surface. The problem was his buddy had the only
tank. They were doing a buddy dive, and sharing one tank. In
total darkness, Shannon’s last conscious thought was to break
the chemical light on the top of his vest , and then let go . . . It
took approximately 5 minutes from the time that his buddy had
reached the surface till when they were able to retrieve
Shannon’s body, and get him back to the surface. They are
trained extensively in Seal Teams for diving accidents. They are
taught to say “I FEEL FINE!” when they know that they have
been in trouble and are being revived. The reason is, if they
have an air embolism in their lungs, they can not make the “F”
sound.

He remembers little about the whole experience, but he does
remember shouting out the words, “I” “FEEL” “FINE!”

He was taken to shore and stayed in recovery where they told
him it would take 3 to 6 months before he might gain most of
the use of his lungs. However, it did not look good for him to get
full recovery. He did the set of breathing exercises that are
shown in this video, “The Taoist Five.” It took him two weeks to
gain full recovery, and he was back on active duty in three
weeks. These exercises work. To order a video, contact us at
toll free(877) 927-7234.

I'm a certified Divemaster. I can't figure out why you would dive with only one tank, let alone why you would stay in 90 feet of water while your dive buddy returned to the surface with the only tank. I'm not a SEAL, but that just seems STUPID to me. The website that posted this was: http://www.spiritaloha.com/ftp/sept2000.pdf

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"he was trapped under 90 feet of water"

might account for why he "would stay in 90 feet of water while your dive buddy returned to the surface with the only tank"

J

jdmills

Precisely why you do not do a dive like this with one tank for two divers. Even if you are only using one tank for some obscure reason, both divers should wear a tank just in case there was an emergency. Also, it would seem to make more sense for the buddy to leave the tank with the trapped diver and do an emergency swimming ascent (very difficult from 90' of water but probably possible, particularly for someone in as good shape as a Navy SEAL) since it definitely beats the alternative of leaving a trapped diver in 90' of water with no air.

T

Tasuko

Originally posted by Withered Soul
Ones that really annoy me are ones who will throw their hardest best punch and claim it to be their weakest. Also people who do it really half-assed.

I can't stand the ones who like to pick on the weakest link and gets their jollies on being the "Bad ***". :soapbox:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by gozanryu
"ifGozanryu speaks as one of the Saito-ryu tradition, I fear the worst..."

No Matt, I dont speak for the Senseii. I speak for me. I am not, in the purvey of this discussion, in anyones "camp". My position is simple, no matter how complicated you (i am sure it is that attorney thing) try to make it. The accused has more supporting evidence than you do. Period.

So where is the proof that Saito ryu existed prior to disco and/or in Japan at any point? How about some objective source to back up Phelp's claims of Japanese profeciency, time spent overseas, etc? These are sources I am in a position to help verify. But so far, not one seems to want to present anythign but excuses and arguments.

I think it a shame that Phelps only posted once and now seems to be reluctant to answer any of these hard questions for himself, relying instead on his students.

T

Tasuko

Originally posted by KennethKu
The title "Professor" seems to be spreading outside of the FMA community.

Is "Professor" a "new" thing or an "old" thing - title wise? I have heard of a man who is "Professor Kaito", but he has been teaching for over 60 years!

T

Tasuko

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
My teacher will come in wearing a pair of shorts and sandals with a Santa Cruz Slugs T-Shirt on drinking a Diet Pepsi……….and he is Asian!

I still like to walk into a studio and see it set up in a traditional way and have the teacher wearing traditional garb, not shorts and t-shirts. It's a better atmosphere.

T

Tasuko

Originally posted by KennethKu
He is a 10th Dan too! His bio is a load of crap. He is a certified case officer of the CIA anti terrorist task force. Riiighhhttt! If there was ever such a position. Case officers work under deep cover and would NEVER reveal any association with the "Company". ONLY the FAKE would flaunt his CIA connection. He was also in the special forces too.

My father worked for the CIA as a "Case Officer", that is the correct title - they are not "agents" as seen in the movies. You are correct in that the "Case Officers" are deep undercover. When my father left the Agency - he was offered a choice to be able to go public with his name and title with less of a "pension" or keep all the benefits of the Agency and stay under cover. So you are both correct in some way.

T

Tasuko

Originally posted by Don Roley
Speaking for myself, I think of the whole "more Asian than the Asians" as a form of extreme stereotyping. I live in Japan and have studied in some pretty traditional dojos, and none of them come close to the level of kitsch that this place has. In fact, the best dojos all seem to radiate a sense of understatement and simplicity that is the complete opposite of this.

I work in a very traditional Japanese business that has been here in the states for 60 years and has really never changed. It is somewhat understated - they go for the minimal look. However, what they have is very elaborate - art work, statues and rugs. It also incorporates a great deal of nature within its walls - waterfalls, live trees, stone walkways with planted grasses, etc... So understated or minimal does not mean cold and empty. :shrug:

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Tasuko
I still like to walk into a studio and see it set up in a traditional way and have the teacher wearing traditional garb, not shorts and t-shirts. It's a better atmosphere.

I have seen very few dojo in America set up in the "traditional" way.
In fact my teachers dojo, like many others, back in Okinawa was basically a shack made out of cinder blocks with a steel roof on it.
Considering the Karate gi is a rather new invention borrowed from Judo I am not sure what a “traditional” karate gi looks like.

T

TLH3rdDan

wow you guys have stirred up a hornets nest of newbies to defend the ninja master who cant speak for himself... by the way did anyone check out his lineage page and see the wonderful picture of his mystic shaolin master lol

T

Tasuko

You guys seem to be going back and forth on this "Sensei" and his personal history... I looked at his website and looked directly at his "Lineage" page and saw his MA background and none of what you guys are arguing about is in his MA background. So what the deal?:p

I looked at his personal history on his website and read all the hard to believe claims. But it's not my place to say that because I can't imagine one man doing all that, and he may have, that his MA background isn't any good. I've heard some wonderful things about Bow Sim Mark in Boston. I've heard she is a great Sifu.

With everyone checking out his personal history, has anyone checked out his MA history and contacted any of his teachers?

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jd, I see what you are talking about now.

Don, I am not discussing the Ninja thing here. Im talking about attacks on his carreer and schoolastic claims. The Ninja part has been beat to death, agree?

R

RyuShiKan

The Ninja part has been beat to death, agree?

Ninja part beaten to death................several people have asked for some sort of information that would link them to Japan. Some are not even on this board. Your people have balked.
You would think with a 1,000 year lineage there would be some information.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Tasuko

With everyone checking out his personal history, has anyone checked out his MA history and contacted any of his teachers?

Don Roley and I have both tried to find some info over here on a Saito family style of NinjItsu, but have not been able to find a single reference to it.

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
RyuShiKan- I should have been more specific. Don has experience with this subject on other boards. Thats who I was addressing. If you go read those posts, you will see that it is indeed "beat to death. I think we (don and I) are actually forbade from revisiting it.:asian:

OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[BNo Matt, I dont speak for the Senseii.[/B]

It is "sensei" with only one "i" in Romaji... Just a note, FYI. Take it or leave it...

I speak for me. I am not, in the purvey of this discussion, in anyones "camp".

I understand that you speak for yourself, but you are a student of the person in question, and a black belt to boot. That places you firmly in the position of supporting your teacher and his claims (because to do otherwise would cause you to have to call into question a number of things, potentially).

My position is simple, no matter how complicated you (i am sure it is that attorney thing) try to make it.

I'm not an attorney. Never said nor implied that I was. I am a military paralegal (says so in my profile), that's all.

The accused has more supporting evidence than you do. Period. You have nothing but heresay (did i spell that right?)

But you see, Mr. Phelps is not the accused, but the prosecution... He has made a certain claim, an allegation, and it then becomes his burden to provide proof. All I have to do is poke holes in the story to bring reasonable doubt... The burden of evidence is not on me to disprove his claims, in the same manner in which it is not the defense's requirement to disprove, necessarily, the claims of the prosecution - merely to cause the jury to believe that the prosecution failed in providing sufficient evidence to substantiate their allegations...

I see, and understand your argument. I do not off-handedly discount it. I am suggesting that there is that chance that the Man is exactly who he says he is as far as his claims are concerned.

And you will note, upon further review of my previous comments, that I stated that he would be able to substantiate that claim. I really, truly would hate to see yet another brick in the overall wall of the martial arts community come out because it was weak and useless... We have enough people making asses of themselves publicly by claiming to be the sole inheritor to ancient, long dead, Egyptian/Mayan/Atlantean martial traditions, we really don't need former veterans, alleged former Government employees, making themselves into something larger than life and then falling flat when asked to prove it. I get tired of seeing so many fakes and frauds... The romantic part of me yearns to see more legitimate wise men from the tops of misty mountains. But the reality is that those who claim such things are nearly 100% of the time trying to bullshido somebody...

Sure, there's a chance he is who he claims. He can help to prove that very easily. But the burden is his, not mine, to provide such proof.

He has reasonably supported his position. You have not. In my opinion it is upon you to now support your opinions with fact.

No, he really hasn't. He has made unsubstantiated claims (i.e. military service without dates of said service; claims to high ranking in multiple martial arts without providing times spent in training in those arts, etc.), nothing more. If the prosecuting attorney walked into court and made his argument that "Mr. X killed Mr. Y, and you have to believe me," but failed to provide motive, method and opportunity, he has no case... Similarly, allegations have been made but not supported. All I asked for was a timeline. If Mr. Phelps could provide a timeline that seemed to support his claims, I would be far more inclined to believe he is what he says he is. Failing that, I have to stand by my defense that his story is simply too farfetched to believe.

It is also my opinion that it is of interest your aggression and disdain on this subject. It seems adolescent of you to question my opinion because I have only been registered on this board for a couple of days. Does that somehow mitigate my opinion on this subject?

It doesn't mitigate the veracity of your opinion, however it does call into question the motivation for same. You show up immediately after questions are posed, defending your teacher, as have so many others on this board and elsewhere. It is a common cyber-tactic of questionable teachers, that has been so done to death that it is anticipated and expected. I am not saying that this is in fact what you are doing, simply that the appearance of your presence can be interpreted in that manner.

Matt, you are a educated man. You are VERY passionate about this subject. I stipulate to that. If you stow your arrogance and attitude, spend some time re-reading the posts, I think it will be apparent to you the "bent" you have put in this discussion.

I don't remember offering arrogance and attitude. The "bent" of this thread is simply one of disbelief awaiting proof. If you consider it arrogant that I would scoff at claims that I have heard in books, movies, TV dramas and elsewhere, all known to be larger than life, then so be it. Not really my problem.

As for questioning how this history fits in with questioning his martial background, this history is offered hand in hand with his martial biography, thereby implying that he is offering it part and parcel as support for his martial background. He could have just as easily said nothing about his SEAL and CIA background and simply said "I trained with the Saito family from XXXX to XXXX and am ranked as XXX. I trained with Bow Sim Mark from XXXX to XXXX and am ranked as XXX." But that appears to have been insufficient for his purposes. I immediately see red flags thrown up whenever anyone cites their military experience alongside their martial training. They are not mutually inclusive, nor are they mutually supportive. They should stand separately, or not at all...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

Latest Discussions