things that make you go hmmm

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its gone really really silly here, its gone from doing next to nothing to doing an enourmass number of things that have little to no relivance to stopping the spread ,

im seriously begining to think they are just plucking laws at random out of a hat

scotland has barred back ground music in pubs and restaurants, because, well no reason i can think of at all, clearly covid like plants must flourish if it "hears" music

in some places you can go for drink can mingle and converse with people you find there, but cant make an " arrangment" to meet someone there, coz????? though how they kbow such an arrangemeebt was made i have no idea

, their kicking pubs out at 10pm, so peopke are all converging bg on supermarkets to buy more alcohol, that they consume in groups on the street,

really the sillyness is nearly endless
pubs are now table service only, you cant get a drink if you go to the bar, but the only way to get a drink inva crowded pub is to go to the bar and say id like a drink please then go and sit down again and the bar persons comes over and says would you like a drink ? , they clearly need a system where you wave a small flag if you want to order

sitting in groups is ok probably, ( its not at all clear,) as long as you didnt arrange to meet any of the goup there, that arnt from your house hold, no mask required, but going to the toilet, going out for a cig or putting money in the juke box( not scotland) requires a mask, infact any standing pissition requires a mask but no sitting position

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
pubs are now table service only, you cant get a drink if you go to the bar, but the only way to get a drink inva crowded pub is to go to the bar and say id like a drink please then go and sit down again and the bar persons comes over and says would you like a drink ? , they clearly need a system where you wave a small flag if you want to order

sitting in groups is ok probably, ( its not at all clear,) as long as you didnt arrange to meet any of the goup there, that arnt from your house hold, no mask required, but going to the toilet, going out for a cig or putting money in the juke box( not scotland) requires a mask, infact any standing pissition requires a mask but no sitting position
They could do it like on a plane, where you push a little button on your table and a light turns on. :D

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They could do it like on a plane, where you push a little button on your table and a light turns on. :D
pubs from the 1930s commonly have the remnants of a bell order syatem still installed or rather you can see where its been, at some point pubs obviously, decided that having you queue up for drinks was a better business model,waiter service was still quite common in the 1970s, though no bell, you had to shout and wave, though that had all but disapeared by the 80s

a friend with a pub, following smoking ban installed tents and heater in the garden, he had the same number of customers, but was selling a lot less beer as they were to lazy to walk the 30 yards to the bar

do waiter,service i said, go out and take orders and deliver the beer, not doing that he said, they can &&&& ing well come in and get it.

so for a while you had idle people, sat there in a warm tent,with no beer and an idle pub owner stood behind his bar with no customers, then he went bump

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When my wife and I were in the UK last year, it was our first time there. It was always a challenge to figure out whether there was table service or not. Kind of hit and miss.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When my wife and I were in the UK last year, it was our first time there. It was always a challenge to figure out whether there was table service or not. Kind of hit and miss.
best to assume not unless your ordering food and even some places exspect you to go to the bar unless your ordering a bottle of wine, they always deliver that for some reason

when i was in la in a bar on sunset, every time i ordered a drink, i said" and yours" to recieve no more than a quizical look

a few drinks in the bar man said, what is it with you english, you never tip.

but ive said " and yours " every time, that means bar man take what ever gratuity you think appropriate from my change.

oh he said, thats what that means, i wobdered why they kept saying that

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
best to assume not unless your ordering food and even some places exspect you to go to the bar unless your ordering a bottle of wine, they always deliver that for some reason

when i was in la in a bar on sunset, every time i ordered a drink, i said" and yours" to recieve no more than a quizical look

a few drinks in the bar man said, what is it with you english, you never tip.

but ive said " and yours " every time, that means bar man take what ever gratuity you think appropriate from my change.

oh he said, thats what that means, i wobdered why they kept saying that
Would never have guessed "and yours" to mean, take a tip.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are things that go bump in the night.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so ive taken up cycling again, after a 4 yo lay off, ive got some scheme to cycle to the soulth of england next year using the canal network, we have ancient canals, by ancient i mean older than the usa that conect all the major cities.

problem is thats about 300 miles and i need to be able to do 30 miles a day every day and when i got back on the bike i could do one before my legs packed up

so ive been building it up over the last month, till sunday when i decided to follow a canal out in to the chesire coubtry side, with my fathfull hound on the back

it was a lovely day and i bumbled along in the afternoon sunshine, for a coupke of hours ir so, should have turned round and gone home at 6 with an hours daylight left, but i was havibg fun so orss3d on, to a village i reached just as it was going dark and stooped for a rest and a coke for an hour

that when it start to turn ugly, when i stood up to leave my legs had,seased up, i couldnt y stand let alonr cycle, thats not good i thought, but its not far home

got my phone out and sat naved the route home, 30km , 30 km that 20 flipping miles, jeez

set off but i couldnt turn the peddles, at least not fast enough for any notable foreard movement , then the hills started, there are no hills on canals.

so i walked very slowly pushing it up the hills and free wheeling down, there were howevet considerably more ups than down.

3very step was agony, i felt like crying, 5 hours it took me to get home and 2000 feet of elivation , i still cant walk properly on tuesday

going further next sunday

Last edited:
OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so my haunting continues a pace, ive given up being suprised when things move or disapear, yea, ok

but things, well think have started appearing

i went to my pocket to pull iut a blue mask, that was definelycthere the week before and pulled out a white one

thats strange i thought.

but not as strange as when i inspected it to find i had a thong in my pocket,

too too strange, if only it was 20 notes