ThePinkMan

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to be suggesting the fight reflects the drills which is the backwards approach.

I'm not sure that's what he's saying (nor sure it's not), but your comment brought something to mind. I remember hearing NGA instructors say "keep application close to classical" (use the technique like it is in the form). That always seems backwards to me. If the technique typically gets used a certain way, the form (classical) should be shifted to match that. Otherwise, we're trying to shove reality into the confines of the form, when we should be using forms to develop sequences that work with reality.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's what he's saying (nor sure it's not), but your comment brought something to mind. I remember hearing NGA instructors say "keep application close to classical" (use the technique like it is in the form). That always seems backwards to me. If the technique typically gets used a certain way, the form (classical) should be shifted to match that. Otherwise, we're trying to shove reality into the confines of the form, when we should be using forms to develop sequences that work with reality.

I wrote that before I wrote the stuff on Bas Ruttens punch. But he is having the same issue there.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i was with you to you mentioned the benefits of fighting a wooden dummy,!

It has been said that in Wing Chun/ JKD techniques when mastered using a Mook Jong is like going through a human body like a knife through butter, so to speak!

The point I was making is adding the ability to transfer energy via your own Qi Gong through the thrust of power and structure.

Read more here - http://ezinearticles.com/?Benefits-of-Training-With-a-Wing-Chun-Wooden-Dummy&id=2069968

Also discussed here:- Training Methods Old School vs. New School

Also in the Forum there is a section on this if interested here:- Chinese Internal Arts : Taijiquan (Tai Chi) and Qi

Its to much to explain in a post but, you can see it clearly here in these videos if you know what to look for..............

More about Master Dong here:- Kung Fu Training in China丨Dragon Mountain Martial Arts School

He is awesome! ;)

Also if you follow Sifu Harinder Singh he is very much now training in this way understanding Chi or Qi Gong.

How to visualize a Mook Jong in training...................

KeLbNXW.jpg

But it must be noted that its about entering the trapping range and feeling your way through its not a one particular move but a process in finding it, expressing it so on.

This is the point I was addressing that there are tools, processes and methods to drills and exercises and I don't agree with Matt Thorntons views as a whole. That "Aliveness" is in all areas of training skill development as a program to follow.

Although does it have some merit, yes for many other reasons, like defining "Aliveness" in sparring yes but not in learning the art form and principles etc.

But not to rule out what are Drills / Exercises/ Sparring / Full Contact with the view to combine them as one they all have different purposes in the training and skill building method.

Does this make some sense now, its also allot of fun I recommend having one and learning this.

As you get older this becomes a good way to remain fit also.

Last edited:

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a few of his videos and do think it's good that frauds in MA get exposed at some level.

In some cases yes I agree its all fabricated lies, but in other cases its just a poor instructor who has gone rogue and teaching his thing with no real qualifications and credentials to support his claims other than receiving a "Black Belt" and teaching his martial arts with nothing else but that.

I have seen allot more of this than the real fake ones in school gyms and local councils halls where they send out flyers in your local mail box to locally attract people to register.

One specific Sifu - teacher that I have trained with in class and privately under has:-
  • Over 35 years of competition experience.
  • Teaching full time since 1996. Coaching & Conducting seminars in Japan, Australia, Europe, Mauritius & USA.
  • Coaching experience range from Corporate companies, Kids, Women, Men, Military & Police.
  • 3rd degree Blackbelt in Shotokan Karate.
  • Blackbelt in Machida Karate.
  • Brownbelt 4 stripes in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
  • Full Instructor in Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do.
  • Full Instructor in Filipino Martial Arts Kali.
  • Qualified Instructor in Muay Thai Kickboxing.
  • A Degree in Sports Science
  • Qualified Engineer & Architectural designer.
  • Developing the business and new programs and customized training and development
  • Also maintains his physical fitness and has a physique of a 20 year old athlete
  • ........ etc ............... and continues to study and broaden his skills and knowledge in martial art.

As you can see thats an extensive proven history where all the knowledge is passed down creating a rich environment of learning practical and theory about martial arts.

Someone to really respect and give credit when its due!

Not only that he has an extensive background with qualifications and credentials but continues to train developing existing skills sets but also studies new martial arts and advancing himself and all the members under him.

A true teacher and someone worthy of his position for all his achievements, not like some people fat over weight, can't run up or down, flat footed with no spring on their feet just poor health and many sit their learning from them, pfftt.... LoL...... c'mon

Its a great place of being and learning, thats all I'm going to say on that.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen a few of his videos and do think it's good that frauds in MA get exposed at some level.

The propoganda on the side of martial arts is really prevalent. There should be people at least suggesting there is another way to look at it.

For every pink man there is ten guys saying all of it just works if you just believe.

And I really don't think most people want their martial arts to exist in the realm of mysticism.

I mean what do you even say to these guys?

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The propoganda on the side of martial arts is really prevalent. There should be people at least suggesting there is another way to look at it.

For every pink man there is ten guys saying all of it just works if you just believe.

True. The one thing I was going to follow up with is that I believe his videos would be more powerful if he stayed away from the insult and just focused on the facts. Calling George Dillman "Dillhole" while you are showing people the truth about his being a fraud will simply turn some people off and accomplishes little beyond making PinkMan look like a jerk.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

And I really don't think most people want their martial arts to exist in the realm of mysticism.

I mean what do you even say to these guys?
I really hated watching that.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What ThePinkMan said about Tai Chi is completely off the wall and absurd.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I watched the guy's "does grappling work" video. I Really do think he's stealing my stuff. ;)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haven't watched it. My mom does tai chi and it makes her happy. That's enough for me.
Well basically, in his tai chi video he compares it to the movie Spaceballs.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Does that guy show you how to defend yourself from "knee on face"? I'll tell you what, when it's being done to you by a brown belt, power lifter, who's nickname is crusher, controlling his shoulder isn't going to do the trick.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that guy show you how to defend yourself from "knee on face"? I'll tell you what, when it's being done to you by a brown belt, power lifter, who's nickname is crusher, controlling his shoulder isn't going to do the trick.
Kill him with a knee grab? Just guessing.

Latest Discussions