thekuntawman is a racist tournament fighter

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
hi dan

yes it is very important to teach those who are in need of self protection, this is probably where many have seen arnis / eskrima evolve in the aspect of self defence. But there are still some of us who like to train for pure improvement of our fighting skill although we are getting rare nowadays.

cheers

terry

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chad,

When did you become Mr. Safety? I recall at least one ER visit with a side visit to the orthopedist too.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes indeed. And part of teaching is helping your students to gain the same knowledge without enduring the pain and lasting injuries of your mistakes.
You know what both my hands look like. We hadn't started training togther yet when I had to have a knee rebuilt. You get to hear me gripe about how great I feel when the weather changes....
In other words do as I say, not as I do.
:D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
As an instructor in the US, I have a different viewpoint on this. When I first began instructinig in 1969, it was in the mode of the survival of the fittest. I lost many students and I thought, "Well, they couldn't take it." Then I began to look a the needs of the student rather than my own ego. Before, only the strong survived. Here's the funny thing - usually the strong don't need it! It's the non-fighters and the weaker ones who need martial arts. So I have geared my teaching to build them up on a gradient scale so that they become strong. I suppose someone could say this is a good marketing ploy but for me, it is a reality.

This is great stuff. You should write a book!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialTalk Policy updates and changes:

In the past few weeks several things have happened on this board that have caused concerns among both the staff and our members. These concerns cover a wide range of things. This is our attempt to address them.

First, a point of history.

MartialTalk.com was originally setup in August of 2001 to serve as a discussion forum for a regional web portal. It was never in my wildest dreams that it would be as popular as it is, and go truly world wide. In fact, it has long since outgrown and absorbed its parent site.

MartialTalk is for the “friendly” discussion of ‘martial arts’. The key here is this exact phase. My mental image of MartialTalk is a big living room, everyone relaxing with a cool beverage, chatting about their arts, swapping stories, news, techniques and info.

It is not a place to puff your chest, flex your muscles, get on the soapbox and rabble rouse. Nor is it the place to expose your dirty laundry, spread rumors and lies, stab in the back, and run smear campaigns.

It is not the place for ‘egos’, ‘attitudes’ and ‘agendas’.

We have seen the following problems over the recent few weeks flare up greatly. It is our growing concern that left unchecked, these issues will seriously damage, possibly destroy all the hard work we have all put into this site.

1: Off Topic posts, and major thread drift.
We have specific forums for specific areas. Please, use them. As our post count climbs higher, it is harder and harder for our staff to keep up with policing everything. We need your –active- help. Please post on topic to each thread. If it starts to drift, help steer it back on track by a: -politely- bringing up the original topic and b: starting a new thread for the tangent.

2: Fraud Busting.
Every art has its frauds, fakers, and plain misguided folks. Some of them are obvious, some are not. The purpose of MartialTalk is –not- to be the place that’s the master list of who is legit and who is not. We have -one- forum target at the “Bad Budo” idea. If you have specific information on such things, post it there. The constant jumping from forum to forum and thread to thread of this desire by several well meaning folks to ‘cleanse’ the arts and others who constantly feel the need to defend from attacks that often times aren’t even there is causing us to lock down an excessive number of threads. This cannot be allowed to continue.

Effective immediately, ‘fraud busting’ outside of the realm of the “Bad Budo” forum will result in administrative actions against those involved when it disrupts the smooth operation of this forum. If you have concerns about someone’s rank/status it is to be handled via PM or email. You may post the results of that research in the “Bad Budo” forum if warranted. Educated martial artists will see the fraud for what he/she is and should just ignore them. This board was set up for friendly discussion of martial arts, not as a soapbox for people's personal crusades.

If you have questions, concerns, etc about someone or their 'qualifications', post it in the 'Bad Budo' forum and address it there -within our guidelines-. Interrogator type posts will not be tolerated any further. Post your questions, and give the others time to answer. The non-responsivness of an individual should be enough.

3: Lack of respect or tolerance for differing opinions.
Frankly, we are tired of the arguments about gender, race, nationality, etc. We are tired of those supposedly educated, experienced, trained martial artists, who tend to regress to school yard bully mentalities and tactics.

Effective immediately, we will begin removing those members who disrupt the smooth operation of this forum. If you cannot follow our rules, if you cannot leave your attitude at the door, we do not want you here.

There is a difference between a debate and an argument. We welcome debate, as long as it is within our posted guidelines. Take your argument and flames elsewhere.

The harassment of members, the hiding behind the “you’re not an XXX so you wouldn’t understand”, the “you master sucks”, etc. stuff will stop. Now. I don’t care if he thinks he’s a Sith-Lord and you ‘know’ he is nuts. It will cease, immediately.

4: Adult Content / profanity
Recently, many posts have skirted the line on ‘mature content’. Let me be very specific. If its of a sexual nature it is probably ‘too far’. If you can’t say it with out “cursing like a truck driver”, it is probably too far. If you have to reedit your post as its got lots of *** in it, its too far, and if you change all the *** stuff so that your words mostly show up, you will be booted. Circumventing the filters is a suspendable offense, and will be more strongly enforced in the future. We have at least a 5-10% membership under the age of 14.

5: The “General” forum is not the “everything goes here” forum.
If it does not involve martial arts, it goes in the locker room, unless it is a joke, in which case it goes in the humor forum. If you need help, post it in the support forum, not buried 50 posts deep in a thread wondering why we don't reply.

We are working to find ways to resolve the issues that have been brought to our attention. This will take time, and it will require the assistance of our members. 1500 members, 10 mods. There’s a lot more members than staff.

This forum and its features is here for your use and enjoyment. It is up to you on how you behave here. You can treat it as a prized resource, or a toilet. Those who do the latter will rapidly be removed.

My staff and I are your hosts. You are all our guests. We expect you to behave as such. We will remove at our discretion any and all those who we feel are not behaving by our rules. This will be done regardless of rank, title, previous contribution or political alignment. If you cannot follow our rules, the door is there. Don’t let it hit you in the *** on your way out. We will honor –ALL- “remove my account” requests immediately from this point on. No saves, no pauses. If you are suspended and ‘whine’, you will be banned. It is fair to ask ‘why’, but once told, take it like a grown up.

Before someone say this is singling out anyone in particular, it is not.

Any questions?

OP
T

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
those are good rules and sounds fair. but i dont know about the "fraud busting" part. i think it should be okay for us to talk about certain people who are misrepresenting the art.

i will post a separate thread about this. but what about people who dont have access to informations finding about what is real and what isnt real in the martial arts? shouldnt they be able to go to a forum like this to ask people? one example is something like the ninja fraud person, who i wont mention his name, who wrote books and pretends to be japanese. shouldnt a student of his, who thinks there is somthing fishy about him, be able to come here and find out his money is being taken?

all the other rules sound very good and will keep this forum professional. plus it will be a good place for kids who study the art to see how adults in the martial arts act, and learn how to act.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by thekuntawman
those are good rules and sounds fair. but i dont know about the "fraud busting" part. i think it should be okay for us to talk about certain people who are misrepresenting the art.

i will post a separate thread about this. but what about people who dont have access to informations finding about what is real and what isnt real in the martial arts? shouldnt they be able to go to a forum like this to ask people? one example is something like the ninja fraud person, who i wont mention his name, who wrote books and pretends to be japanese. shouldnt a student of his, who thinks there is somthing fishy about him, be able to come here and find out his money is being taken?

all the other rules sound very good and will keep this forum professional. plus it will be a good place for kids who study the art to see how adults in the martial arts act, and learn how to act.

We didn't say you couldn't ask questions. Our concern is when it starts to disrupt things. Using the psudo-ninja as an example, he is welcome here, as long as he folows our rules. I realize many of our members would wish to confront him and 'prove he is a fake'. That is fine, however it must be done in a way that doesn't turn every thread the person is involved in into a search for legitimacy. That way only causes good threads to turn ugly and get locked, which in turn starts turning people off to the forum.

Eventually, we will endup booting someone, and it may not always be the 'fraud'.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
hi dan

yes it is very important to teach those who are in need of self protection, this is probably where many have seen arnis / eskrima evolve in the aspect of self defence. But there are still some of us who like to train for pure improvement of our fighting skill although we are getting rare nowadays.

cheers

terry

Yep,
The fighters are getting rare these days but there are more of them than you think.
Dan

R

Rocky

Not going to comment hear on the racist or cultural thing. I can say that tournament fighting is not really going to make you a good fighter, but it does help in timing endurance and what not. If you wanna get you skills up, I suggest you try some of our play. Fencing mask, unpadded sticks no chest protection, no cup, very light kneepads, and anything goes!! I will be hosting in the fall our "Almost yearly" Motor City Massacre in Detroit. We've been fighting like this since 1984. I use to beg Modern Arnis guys to come and play with us, but Remy more or less told them not to entertain me, oh well their loss. I watched Erwin Ballarta and Tom Bisio when I was a kid go at it in this fashion and I was hooked. Over the years we took it a little farther. Then there is always the Dog Brothers, who I really don't think took it any farther as far as content, but they definnately are more hard core in the fact that they fight a whole lot more than we did. I am sure Crafty Dog or Top Dog would be glad to throw a few whacks your way.

Rocky

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocky
...I will be hosting in the fall our "Almost yearly" Motor City Massacre in Detroit. ...

Rocky

Is this by invitation only or a open event. If its open please keep this forum up to date. I for one as a former Windsor boy would love to participate . Hopefully you will get some Modern Arnis guys this time.

regards,

Vince
aka Black Grass

R

Rocky

If we can do it a few years ago we were arrested for fighting in a public park. But yes it is open, know cost, just a day of fun, and maybe roast a few hotdogs and have a few cold refreshment when were done, there is no trophies or anything like that, just have fun try out things you maybe working on. And try not to get hurt, or pissed off

Rocky

Latest Discussions