The Vanishing Flame: Burma - Connecticut screening

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was lucky to be able to attend, agreed it was a great show and Dr. Gyi is very funny!

Ugh, firewalled from Mousel's... will check at home when i have time.

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank all those who came out to support the show. It was only marred by a projectionist who could not evidently read nor wanted to listen. I thought despite his moronic behavior overall it went well. The first presentation film on burmese martial culture is very raw and very much a work in progress. The second piece was an appropriate overview and I tweaked it a bit for this show. I try to add one new piece for each show so there is something new to discover each time. I gain a lot from the dialogues and from the audience reaction to continually focus on figuring out what is going to work in the finished pieces. I am not ready to tackle though anything other than the bare knuckle warriors/lethwei project for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the work in progress explanation, interesting insight.

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, they are "works in progress" nowhere near any state of completion. I am still sorting through ideas and coming to conclusions that i can share with the public. I havent even begun to tackle thaing/bando, etc and those topics will get my full focus when the time is right.

Look for my new article Burmese Lethwei: The Ancient Art of Bare Knuckle Fighting in the next issue of Muay Thaimes which will be out in a few weeks. Its a Muay Thai magazine but the editor wanted to run a story about Burmese Bare Knuckle. I will contribute a Thai bare knuckle article for a future issue and will let you know when that is coming out.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
lookin forward to the article--the film pieces looked great and the info was superb!

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Zulfi Ahmed who was a guest speaker at the Burma show and a long time supporter of the vanishing flame project, is featured in the new Black Belt January 2012 on page 36 Far East section: The Man Who Loved Martial Arts by Mark Jacobs. Pick it up and give it a read.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Zulfi Ahmed who was a guest speaker at the Burma show and a long time supporter of the vanishing flame project, is featured in the new Black Belt January 2012 on page 36 Far East section: The Man Who Loved Martial Arts by Mark Jacobs. Pick it up and give it a read.

Bought and read the column, good piece on Master Zulfi by Mark Jacobs. Very interesting childhood and background on Master Zulfi.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Will pick up that issue
Zulfi is really cool people didnt realize how successful he is with his schools!

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The article Burmese Lethwei: The Ancient Art of Bare Knuckle Fighting should be out in the next two weeks or so in the Winter 2011
edition of Muay Thaimes. The layout came out nice and the article i wrote remains intact.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
great article by the way
just caught up with the new report

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
quick q on the topic
you wrote that in the old days they had wrestling matches before the bare knuckle fights
this still happen nowadays?

OP
blackdiamondcobra

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was referencing old records about Lethwei and Naban. I havent seen any lethwei matches where naban matches occurred either before or during. There is still so much research to be done in Burma that maybe in does exists in that configuration somewhere but I dont think it is held that way anymore. It was a very deep experience with singing, a huge fire, etc and it was much ceremonial than it is today for the most part according to the old records and some old masters who talked about it.