The USMC Martial Arts Training Center

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this program? I happened to catch the tail end of a segment about this on the Military Channel. They were discussing belt levels etc.. I was very intrigued, but alas caught very little of it. Anyone able to shed some light on this? Regarding the system taught etc.? Thanks to any able...

1stJohn1:9

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it is called USMC MAP (Martial Arts Program).

I pulled this link to MC MAP from Jack Hoban's site, who happens to be a subject matter expert for the program.

I hope this helps. :)

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, every Marine is required to train to a minimum level, depending upon their MoS. I was support, so only had to go to tan (the first belt). The training was about a week long, for roughly a full day. Basics are taught first- how to escape from common holds, a couple of throws/holds, ways to strike to do maximum damage... some very basic knife slashes, too (to familiarize yourself with the bayonet or k-bar in close quarters).

The holds interested me more than the other stuff, having already studied martial arts before joining, but I was able to see the influence of muay thai (elbows, knees, low kicks) and boxing (jabs, crosses, uppercuts, stepping into strikes) pretty clearly.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe it is called USMC MAP (Martial Arts Program).

I pulled this link to MC MAP from Jack Hoban's site, who happens to be a subject matter expert for the program.

I hope this helps. :)

you could also try googling hoplogly (or something like that). apparnetly MCMAP is mostly from it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you could also try googling hoplogly (or something like that). apparnetly MCMAP is mostly from it.

Never heard of it, so I couldn't have. I suppose this is because I mentioned that Jack Hoban was a subject matter expert for the MCMAP program. Well to be more specific, through his site was how I knew of MCMAP so it makes sense I would go there to get the link. Additionally, I understand there were several martial arts experts who were subject matter experts for the development of the program. I think you will find a little of this and a little of that in the program.

:)

Latest Discussions