The usefulness of Leg Locks

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you want to restrain the person for what ever reason, just run when they get grounded if you are brought with them try to break and run.

I would also say learn it alongside Knee and Elbow ones if such things exist. Never know when you might not get to the arms or vice versa.
Running only works if you know you’re fast enough to stay away. That used to be a safe bet for me - not so much, any more. So, I’ll make them slow before I’ll run.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same world where falling backwards and hitting your head on the ground can knock you out or at least stun you?
Can. I won’t count on it, though. Gotta assume he’ll still get at least one good slash or stab in. Of course, if I’m already down, leg locks might be the best answer I have at the moment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously if you have the opportunity, you should definitely run away. Hopefully people don't think I'm advocating fighting someone with a knife when you can get away. Clearly you don't always have the opportunity to run away, so you gotta do what you gotta do. If I needed to do a quick leg lock that would put the opponent on their back (possibly have their head hit the concrete and stun them) and give me time to pull a leg lock, I'd do something like this;

15388989492665632.gif

Quick level change, fast takedown, fast leg lock. It's one of my favorite takedowns.
And yes, I've done that move on concrete before.

Nah, we grapple too:

163280_1_569be25ab18d0.jpg

We only use our knives if we want to kill you.
Slick. Way outta my movement league (both the takedown and the Bengal).

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you like going to jail....

Nah, that depends.....and you saying some canned **** like that don't scare me. I wouldn't mind suing the Dept. & City for wrongful arrest for some $$$$. I'm actually a lot more pro Cop, then anti. Like I've always talked to Cops, especially when I've been caught doing stupid **** with my 400-600hp cars that are modified and illegal to hell. If I were a **** to them when I got pulled over, they could seriously have ****ed me up through citing me for all the equipment violations and even impound my car.

Been caught staging for money streetrace, right next to a shopping mall (3am), and the Cop let me go and complimented on my car + bragging about his own, old Chevelle that he used to streetraced in. I talked and didn't lie. He saw it all anyway as he was hiding behind a shop. Last time I got let go was doing 73 in a 35 next to another shopping mall, at around 2pm. I know how to talk to cops.

But if there were possibilities of serious felonies or when Detectives comes to my house, out of the blue....to ask questions/fishing expedition.....then **** that, I would never talk to Cops w/o a lawyer.

D

Deleted member 39746

Running only works if you know you’re fast enough to stay away. That used to be a safe bet for me - not so much, any more. So, I’ll make them slow before I’ll run.

You can kick them in the knee and break it to cripple them. There are a couple of ways of slowing them down without grounding yourself, but as always situation dependent. :p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can kick them in the knee and break it to cripple them. There are a couple of ways of slowing them down without grounding yourself, but as always situation dependent. :p
Agreed there are multiple approaches to use, not just going to the ground for leg locks. I don't trust a knee kick to do the job in a one-and-done way, but give me a good opening, and I'll give it a shot.

My point was simply that "separate and run" is too often offered as a solution when there's no finish to the engagement. I can't run as fast as I used to, so I'll need to do some leg or head damage to slow them down first.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, that depends.....and you saying some canned **** like that don't scare me. I wouldn't mind suing the Dept. & City for wrongful arrest for some $$$$. I'm actually a lot more pro Cop, then anti. Like I've always talked to Cops, especially when I've been caught doing stupid **** with my 400-600hp cars that are modified and illegal to hell. If I were a **** to them when I got pulled over, they could seriously have ****ed me up through citing me for all the equipment violations and even impound my car.

Been caught staging for money streetrace, right next to a shopping mall (3am), and the Cop let me go and complimented on my car + bragging about his own, old Chevelle that he used to streetraced in. I talked and didn't lie. He saw it all anyway as he was hiding behind a shop. Last time I got let go was doing 73 in a 35 next to another shopping mall, at around 2pm. I know how to talk to cops.

But if there were possibilities of serious felonies or when Detectives comes to my house, out of the blue....to ask questions/fishing expedition.....then **** that, I would never talk to Cops w/o a lawyer.

An important aspect of claiming self defense is actually claiming self defense.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An important aspect of claiming self defense is actually claiming self defense.

"Officer, I'm quite shaken up from this ordeal and I don't feel that I'm of sound mind to make a statement at this point in time on something of such seriousness and would feel better to have an attorney present, thank you.".

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Officer, I'm quite shaken up from this ordeal and I don't feel that I'm of sound mind to make a statement at this point in time on something of such seriousness and would feel better to have an attorney present, thank you.".

Ok.

Then they arrest you, book you in, and you call your attorney. Your attorney then can set up an interview later....so you will need bond money.

If you don't give any statement you will most likely be charged.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok.

Then they arrest you, book you in, and you call your attorney. Your attorney then can set up an interview later....so you will need bond money.

If you don't give any statement you will most likely be charged.

I'll take that risk. Bond money shouldn't be a problem. Once my attorney gets the charge dropped, I'll be seeking a case for wrongful arrest vs. the PD.

D

Deleted member 39746

Addendum to my post: I wish to make a clarification for terminology. In my viewpoint a quick breaking action of the leg/arm should be refered to as a break rather than a lock as lock implies you are restraining and not seeking to break the limb ASAP.

Just seems like a good term difference to use. So a leg/arm BREAK in my view is fine and would work, not a lock. Unless of course you are seeking to restrain them for what ever reason then lock fits and works just fine.

thats all.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll take that risk. Bond money shouldn't be a problem. Once my attorney gets the charge dropped, I'll be seeking a case for wrongful arrest vs. the PD.

That would not be wrongful arrest as there would he enough probable cause for the arrest.

Breaking someone's leg without claiming self defense is probable cause for arrest.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That would not be wrongful arrest as there would he enough probable cause for the arrest.

Breaking someone's leg without claiming self defense is probable cause for arrest.

That's a good point. So I guess then, right move is to declare that it was self defense, as you've stated....and then request an attorney. True?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a good point. So I guess then, right move is to declare that it was self defense, as you've stated....and then request an attorney. True?

You need to give general statement of what you did and why then advise the police you would be willing to provide further details later with your attorney.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is more intuitive. But I don't think people catch that arm very often. And so wind up not defending at all.

This is why I think most knife disarm techs are BS, even though I still train it. But I have a way that works well vs. knives but it's too rough for the average Krav Magoo to handle.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno.

At the 20 second mark at the beginning of the roll you see the guy in yellow able to press hard on the guys chest area before being taken dowm. With a knife that might be game over.

Again though I do like it for a regular fight....just seems very risky with a knife

It depends. I mean yea, you could die. But if you're damn good with this IR, then I think it's better than trying to grab for the fast knife hand/arm, like how most knife disarms are taught. That's like trying to grab for jabs, but with 10x more damage per stab/slash.

I think that you wouldn't feel some to most of the stabs and once you pop his knee, he'll be in more pain and should cease the knife attacks. Your knife wounds may or may not be life threatening, although the femoral artery is pretty highly at risks.

Latest Discussions