The true meaning of self-defense

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Humor is a funny thing.
May be I should change my thread title as "spiritual self-defense". But I don't know how to change it.

Believe it or not, the word "滚(Gun) - get out of my side" is only used among close friends. If someone uses that word on you, he treats you as his close friend.

Same as "shut up" that old generation may treat it as insult words.

Through my online Chinese book reading, I can tell that a lot of Chinese new generation has strong "Ah Q spirit".

Example of Ah Q spirit:

Someone beats you up. On the way home, you keep telling yourself, "That guy was lucky. I just didn't feel like to beat him up that his own mother won't be able to recognize him. " When you get back him, you start to feel great about yourself again.

IMO, that's spiritual self-defense. Your body may get beaten up. But in your spirit, you are still a winner. How to be a "spiritual winner", you beat your opponent up in your mind. :D

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From the SD point of view, what's your opinion on the following statement?

Of course you can change the 4th to the 5th, the 6th, ..., the nth.

if you attack me the

- 1st time, I'll back up.
- 2nd time, I'll also back up.
- 3rd time, I'll still back up.
- 4th time, I will make you to believe that your 1st attack on me was a true mistake.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

if you attack me the

- 4th time, I will make you to believe that your 1st attack on me was a true mistake.
If you attack me... the first time I back up, apologize and leave. I am not going to hang around for the next attack. If your first attack prevents me from leaving physically... I will physically do what I need to in order to leave... and then leave. I do not intend to be there for your second attack.

If I do it right, I hope to be able to realize things are going the wrong way before your first attack, and leave. Ideally, I am not even there for your first attack.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

if you attack me the

It's just not that simple. Depending on the situation, I may leave before the first attack. I may attack before their first attack. I may back up once or more. I may take a few steps back and then shoot them.
There are way too many variables.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
May be I should change my thread title as "spiritual self-defense". But I don't know how to change it.

Believe it or not, the word "滚(Gun) - get out of my side" is only used among close friends. If someone uses that word on you, he treats you as his close friend.

Same as "shut up" that old generation may treat it as insult words.

Through my online Chinese book reading, I can tell that a lot of Chinese new generation has strong "Ah Q spirit".

Example of Ah Q spirit:

Someone beats you up. On the way home, you keep telling yourself, "That guy was lucky. I just didn't feel like to beat him up that his own mother won't be able to recognize him. " When you get back him, you start to feel great about yourself again.

IMO, that's spiritual self-defense. Your body may get beaten up. But in your spirit, you are still a winner. How to be a "spiritual winner", you beat your opponent up in your mind. :D
Resilience. Or self delusion. ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

if you attack me the

At some point, I would hope that you call the cops or learn to avoid that person.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my guys got into argument in a pole room. His opponent attacked him, he just dodged and blocked the punches. After 10 minutes, none of his opponent's punches could land on his body. His opponent sat down on the coach, got so mad at himself, didn't know what had just happened, and the fight ended without anybody got hurt.

One Karate guy (I don't remember his name) said,

if you attack me the

I do like what he had said there.
That's a fine approach if you are, in fact, that much more skilled. If you're evenly matched, you've given them either 3 free shots (the second person) or 10 minutes to do some damage.

I just don't assume I'm that much better than someone I've never fought.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you want to apology for someone's attack if it's not your fault?
My primary goal is to be able to go to work tomorrow. If apologizing gets him to stop his attack or gets me the time to leave, then I apologize. Being right, in this situation, is not worth risking jail, hospital or morgue.

What if you are on a bus. The bus is moving, and you can't leave.
What if you are in outer space, with no gravity and no floors or walls? How would you throw or punch? What if you are in a telephone booth with the other guy and your hands are trapped by your side? What if you wrist is handcuffed to his ankle? We can "what if" all day.
If your first attack prevents me from leaving physically... I will physically do what I need to in order to leave... and then leave.
This statement should cover it. I might need to pull the emergency stop cord to leave. I might need to incapacitate him, before trying to get the bus to stop. These steps are covered in "I will physically do what I need to in order to leave."

My goal in a self defense situation is not to prove my arts effectiveness, not to prove my fighting superiority, not to punish the guy attacking me, not to seek retribution, not to change his mind from ever attacking someone, not to restrain him for the cops... My goal is to go to work tomorrow. If sacrificing a little pride and a little ego, saying I am sorry your are right, I shouldn't have done that gets me home safe... great. If it costs me $20 in my wallet... thats cheaper than bail or hospital charges.

Latest Discussions