The Siu Baat Qua foot Work Form

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
This MCM Wing Chun advanced footwork form taught to senior students in the MCM Wing Chun system. This form is revealed for the first time to the general public for educational purposes and for posterity. There is a total of 8 sections this the first section.

The foot work patter is as follows step clockwise 180 degrees the back 180 degrees, then step clock wise 90 degrees then 180 degrees then back.. repeat this 4x then repeat the whole thing counter clockwise..

It's a lot easier to under the form by watching it then me trying to explain it... But anyway, am not much of a forms person but in the Wing Chun world very few people know about this one and I believe this is the first time its been made available on video.. I hope to generate some interest and have a discussion about and go into more detail if anyone is interested...oh BTW I've been gone a long time.. but am back..

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You say its not limited to any Wing Chun lineage beside fut sao lineage I have never seen it anywhere,,

What other Chinese styles have you studied? How familiar are you with the I Ching hexagrams?

Trigrams are kind of easy to spot in kung fu literature. They're kind of a big deal.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
They do. :)

A common one is five animals. A form by that name exists in many different systems. But they are not the same form.

Five animals, five elements. Maybe.
They do. :)

A common one is five animals. A form by that name exists in many different systems. But they are not the same form.

The Eight Trigrams are pretty specific. Here is a child with better form than probably any of us.

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
What other Chinese styles have you studied? How familiar are you with the I Ching hexagrams?

Trigrams are kind of easy to spot in kung fu literature. They're kind of a big deal.

Please explain your understanding of the I Ching hexagrams in regards to it’s relationship to wing chun.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... Fut Sao ... I hope to generate some interest and have a discussion about and go into more detail if anyone is interested...

- Boxing emphasizes jab, cross, hook, and uppercut (offense tools).
- WC emphasizes Fu Shou, Tan Shou, and Bong Shou (defense tools).

Why?

May I ask a very stupid question here?

If you want to use a technique in this form to kill your opponent, which move will you use, and how?

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
- Boxing emphasizes jab, cross, hook, and uppercut (offense tools).
- WC emphasizes Fu Shou, Tan Shou, and Bong Shou (defense tools).

Why?

May I ask a very stupid question here?

If you want to use a technique in this form to kill your opponent, which move will you use, and how?

They are not defensive moves.
The arms thrust forward and if unobstructed, they attack and continue to attack until the opponent is defeated.
If the path to the opponent is obstructed, then and only then do these various structures form.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The arms thrust forward and if unobstructed, they attack and continue to attack until the opponent is defeated.
If the path to the opponent is obstructed, then and only then do these various structures form.
Here are my questions:

- Palm strike is done by freezing the body and only move the arms.
- Palm strike is done after the footwork is stopped.
- The power generation has nothing to do with the footwork.

Why?

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If palm strike is used for offense, should power generation be included?

Does non-Ip Men WC have

- dynamic strike concept that striking while feet are moving?
- coordinate punch with foot landing?

If you always punch when your footwork stop, you will never be able to develop hand and foot coordination. This is my main concern.

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are my questions:

- Palm strike is done by freezing the body and only move the arms.
- Palm strike is done after the footwork is stopped.
- The power generation has nothing to do with the footwork.

Why?

It sounds like you are basing all of WC on the Siu Nim Tao form.
While this form is extremely important, it is not representative of how a WC practitioner moves and fights.
WC done correctly has very active footwork to not only move around the opponent but also to dissolve our opponent's force and multiply the force of our own attack.
BTW, getting back the Siu Nim Tao form, one of the things it develops is body unity, so what looks like arm movements are actually involving the whole body.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
If palm strike is used for offense, should power generation be included?

Does non-Ip Men WC have

- dynamic strike concept that striking while feet are moving?
- coordinate punch with foot landing?

If you always punch when your footwork stop, you will never be able to develop hand and foot coordination. This is my main concern.

I can't speak for non Yip Man lineages as my lineage is from the YM line, but just like every reputable MA, wing Chun uses footwork.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't speak for non Yip Man lineages as my lineage is from the YM line, but just like every reputable MA, wing Chun uses footwork.
If this is the 4th WC form, I'll expect that the striking and footwork should be integrated together and not separate apart.

- Step, step, turn. strike.
- Step, slide, turn, strike.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please explain your understanding of the I Ching hexagrams in regards to it’s relationship to wing chun.

Oh god we don't have that kind of time, but here's a lame attempt.

How do you tell whether a trigram is Yin or Yang in fundamental nature?

Hint: there are 2 trigrams in a hexagram.

Svarog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does non-Ip Men WC have

Fut Sao is actually slightly modified Yip Man's wing chun. Even a superficial research will show that. It is interesting how people believe everything their teacher say, even if the story has no base in realty and zero proof.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It sounds like you are basing all of WC on the Siu Nim Tao form.

I think so too.
Don't get me wrong...KFW is probably a thousand times more skillful and experienced than I am...but from his posts and his understanding of wing chun, I'd say he was either taught incorrectly and/or was taught to look at wing chun in a 'literal' fashion.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, so it's not Ten Animals, or Ten Elements?

Ten symbols?

Maybe you see where I'm going with this.
Um, no. I’ve seen other forms called “five animals.” Not ten. Five. Not symbols. Animals. We have one in my system. I’ve seen others. They are nothing like the one we do.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If this is the 4th WC form, I'll expect that the striking and footwork should be integrated together and not separate apart.

- Step, step, turn. strike.
- Step, slide, turn, strike.
It sounds like your questions are better suited for the OP that shared the video (@futsaowingchun), hopefully either he or another Fut Sao Wing Chun practitioner can help give you some insight.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um, no. I’ve seen other forms called “five animals.” Not ten. Five. Not symbols. Animals. We have one in my system. I’ve seen others. They are nothing like the one we do.

The word is "Ying" (symbol, pattern). Ng Ying, Sup Ying.

There are a few variations of the southern family Five Animals sets, and then the Sup Ying (Ten Pattern) sets. In Hung Kuen for example the Wong Fei Hung school contains the Five Animal Fist (Ng Ying Kuen), but in other schools it's called Five Animal, Five Element Fist, but still it is called Sup Ying Kuen (5 Pattern Fist), patterns being Dragon, Snake, Tiger, Leopard, and Crane (in that order).

The important note is that Wing Chun contains only a handful of these, no matter the lineage, but it sometimes also contains interesting things like Bagua in this lineage.

Didn't you notice the "Baat Qua"? Bagua. Eight Trigrams Fist, in Wing Chun. Such is the glory of kung fu.

Latest Discussions