The Secrets ...............

jus_dann

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LETTING THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG...
So arts with secrets, do they all have them? Why? Why not?
I can see not giving away too much too quickly, choosing the right people,but some people feel it nessesary to go to the grave as the "baddest"
Dont arts die that way? or at least water down? Once you are considered family to your instructor, should he still hold back? If you share the wealth, people steal, rename, claim and call it thier own.. Is there middle ground? If so where? Myself, training with so many people, I find those who hold back from me just because I cross train in contrast, I've found those who treat me like family and share till the table is full..Tell me your thoughts and experinces...

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no problem with holding back because the student is just not ready for it. But holding back for the purpose of, well, just holding back? Please...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That question has been around for years and NO ONE has found the answer..As far as an Instructor withholding information, I believe that an Instructor will give you whatever information he has when he believes that YOU are ready..

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are things I don't teach my students because they are not ready for it - mentally, physically, or both - but once a student is ready, they learn. "Deathbed secrets" are the way things are lost - and why spend a lifetime learning something so that it dies with you? On the other hand, why teach students something before they can understand it? Balance is the key.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see not giving away too much too quickly, choosing the right people,but some people feel it nessesary to go to the grave as the "baddest"
Dont arts die that way? or at least water down? Once you are considered family to your instructor, should he still hold back? If you share the wealth, people steal, rename, claim and call it thier own.. Is there middle ground? If so where? Myself, training with so many people, I find those who hold back from me just because I cross train in contrast, I've found those who treat me like family and share till the table is full..Tell me your thoughts and experinces...
I think one of the secrets is that a lower ranked student does not get taught blackbelt material when they get taught blackbelt material. Without the knowledge that built up to it, "its a castle made of saaaaaand"... oh sorry.:mst:
Sean

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
That question has been around for years and NO ONE has found the answer..As far as an Instructor withholding information, I believe that an Instructor will give you whatever information he has when he believes that YOU are ready..

There are things I don't teach my students because they are not ready for it - mentally, physically, or both - but once a student is ready, they learn. "Deathbed secrets" are the way things are lost - and why spend a lifetime learning something so that it dies with you? On the other hand, why teach students something before they can understand it? Balance is the key.

Both great pieces of information. It is the same for most instructors. We give the students information as they are ready for it. Some things will never get transmitted to a student because they will never be ready.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe that an Instructor will give you whatever information he has when he believes that YOU are ready..

if you ask you may never get the answere but if you show your ready you may well get it without asking

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only secrets I know of are patience, persistance and practice, everything else comes from those.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many times, I think that the only 'secrets' are the ones that we can't figure out for ourselves. Sometimes, the teacher gives us just enough, and its up to us to find the rest. Is this fair? Well, it keeps you on your toes, and makes you think and really look deeper into the material.

Now, there may be instances when things are in fact really held back for a purpose, ie: keeping it in the family, such as the Gracies.

I think that they get watered down for just this reason...people assume that whats being taught is the end all be all or the absolute correct way, and run with it, even at the expense of watering down. Are they really looking deeper though, as I said above?

Mike

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many "secrets" aren't really secrets, they're just ideas that don't make sense until you have the proper foundation laid. If you try to make sense of them, without understanding, you mis-apply them and hurt yourself.

I don't know how many times I've been told a "secret" that didn't mean anything to me, until one day, the "secret" made sense. Then it became very powerful. (In MA, fencing, horse riding, math, science, religion, etc.)

Take European fencing, for instance. The secrets of fencing are balance, footwork, off-line movement, half-beat timing, leverage, and reading your opponent.

There it is! The secrets!

But that doesn't mean anything, unless you know how to apply those secrets. In Europe, it was customary for fencing instructors to keep their teaching hidden, while some promised "hidden techniques" that were sure to defeat your opponent. (Sound familiar?) But that was just a marketing gimmick. The really successful masters had no problem demonstrating their techniques in a tournament, and testing it against other masters. That was their best advertisement.

The secret is, there is no secret.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

IMHO, there are no secrets. Only more understanding over time with experience and training.

A newbie sees a block as a block. Then it becomes a strike. Then a break. Then a throw then you block strike, counter and evade at the same time. It's all just a natural progression.

Now when you are truly ready I will teach you the secrets of the "Shotochem wind of death"!!!! :fart:

-Marc-

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I don't think secrets are things that are handed over like a set of keys to a new car. I believe secrets are discovered through training and nobody can actually give them to you. You discover them on your own with guidance from your instructor. Much like finding the pirates chest (YAAARRRR!) from reading the clues. In truth you won't find those secrets until you are ready for them. They will remain illusive until you are ready, if not, they will forever be secret from you.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

There are no secrets.
They are where they have always been. Hidden in plain view.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you have a secret? and you tell one person? is it still a secret? , How many people can you tell before it is NOT a secret? UM?

Here we go again about some martial arts has a secret to it art. Their secret is so deadly....only the dead knows them.

Claiming a secret is a great SELLING Tool.

White belt material and up "is consider black belt training." ..we learn in steps because it is easier to teach that way.

The way you teach a white belt to punch and kick? Is it different ? "from a black belt punching and kicking?"

We don't teach white belts to punch and kick like a white belt? We teach them how to punch and kick like a black belt!!!!!!!!

There is NO secrets in the martial arts! Only thing that is secret is what you are withholding from your students. Example: Learning to run away is the best self-defense.....ssssshhhhhh...No tell anyone this SECRET!

Secret is also a great deodorant...try my secrets...........Aloha

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score

This was exactly my experience.

I was taught with what I guess could be called the “onion method”. Where you learn something, seemingly in its entirety (getting the whole onion), but later realize that your understanding is superficial with the true meaning contained deeper within, so you peel off layer-by-layer gaining deeper insight until you reach the core and the true meaning.

A simple example of this would be the inside block. I was taught to rotate towards my blocking arm, placing my fist at my ear and pointing my elbow up and back, the fist of my non-blocking arm in the armpit of the blocking arm with the elbow pointing forward. You then rotate in the opposite direction, swinging your blocking arm inward with your fist ending in line with your chin. There your have it, the inside block. I later learned that it was not so much a block as it was a strike that can be used defensively as well as offensively. I was later told that I didn’t have to use just a hammer fist while striking; I could use a knife hand strike for instance. Later on, it was explained that the inside block is the foundation for teaching the mechanics of an arcing blow with inward waist rotation, the trajectory didn’t have to go straight across (as in the inside block) but go straight down and every angle in-between. So, what starts off as a basic defensive maneuver ends up as a wide variety of techniques.
I believe such a teaching method dose have an element of secrecy to it, keeping a deeper understanding of the system away from those who are not ready or do not deserve it, attempting to preserve the integrity of the art. In my opinion, this often back fires with many people claming to be proficient in a system with years of experience but in actuality they only have a shallow understanding.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was taught all the secrets of my art as a white belt, I learned some of the secrets of my art after years of training, I'll probably learn more after a few more years and maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll know them all before I'm too old to train.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score

I absolutely agree