The secret of the punch close to the target of Bruce Lee?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have already said that I am not a native speaker of English. I understand there are no boxers here? Thank you all for your time. Everywhere you think a conspiracy. In my boxing room there is a ring, pears, barbell gloves should be their own. When I saw boxing simulators, I became interested and wanted to hear your opinion.
Sometimes people reply to a post without seeing all of the posts in the thread for a variety of reasons, so sometimes things may be missed.

You asked for opinions; most of those responding aren't impressed with this gadget. That doesn't make it a scam; the guys selling it may well be quite sincere and it may have worked for them, for their purpose. But it's not the secret to heavy hands or to an explosive close range punch, either. In the end, it's your money. Buy it if you want.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No comment on the simulator, bit the energy of that punch (which was not invented by Bruce Lee) is not generated in the arms/wrists/hands. Certainly they are a link in the chain and it's good to be strong, but learning that punch is a different process altogether.

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No comment on the simulator, bit the energy of that punch (which was not invented by Bruce Lee) is not generated in the arms/wrists/hands. Certainly they are a link in the chain and it's good to be strong, but learning that punch is a different process altogether.
I think if Bruce Lee had a weak wrist, he wouldn't be able to transfer 100% of the energy of the strike to the target.

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know which parts of the body generate energy. Just wondering if you have a weak wrist how it affects the force of a punch

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know which parts of the body generate energy. Just wondering if you have a weak wrist how it affects the force of a punch

The force of the punch will be the same, the power will be the same, it will hurt, but not as much as your broken wrist.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Ok, so where do you generate most of your power, for your punches?
Calf, thigh, back, shoulders?
DB is correct, any weak point in the chain, will be exposed upon impact, and the recoil of energy resulting from the impact, the point will buckle, this puts your balance out, your posture will change, which will leave you vunerable, put your transitioning/timing off.

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so where do you generate most of your power, for your punches?
Calf, thigh, back, shoulders?
DB is correct, any weak point in the chain, will be exposed upon impact, and the recoil of energy resulting from the impact, the point will buckle, this puts your balance out, your posture will change, which will leave you vunerable, put your transitioning/timing off.
Different power generated energy .If you hit with a jump forward then the legs hips body and arm work. If you apply a quick series of blows then the work of the legs and body is less than in the first version. in Boxing, there are still different techniques for striking. You also need to be able to carry the weight of the body for the force of the impact. but in either case the weak link is the wrist

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The force of the punch will be the same, the power will be the same, it will hurt, but not as much as your broken wrist.

Let's be honest. You're going to break your hand long before you break your wrist. I've treated literally hundreds of boxers fractures. I cannot recall ever seeing a wrist broken by a punch. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or even that I've never seen it (my memory ain't what it used to be...), but it's certainly a rarity compared to hand fractures.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's be honest. You're going to break your hand long before you break your wrist. I've treated literally hundreds of boxers fractures. I cannot recall ever seeing a wrist broken by a punch. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or even that I've never seen it (my memory ain't what it used to be...), but it's certainly a rarity compared to hand fractures.

That depends on how you strike, if you strike with the most common way of forming the fist, rolling from the fingers, and striking with the knuckles only, when you are not used to striking firm objects, of course.
However, palms down, the knuckle joint bend 90 degrees,1st finger joint bend 90 degrees, leaving a small space, between fingers and palm, once discribed as holding a small stone, and strike with the flat of the fingers up to the knuckles, not so, the space acts as shock absorbtion, and as long as the wrist is strong, damage to the hand is vastly reduced, yes its a good idea to practice striking a solid object, but in systema (yes that art that reminds you of a microwave oven), we strike muscle and vunerable areas rather than bone on bone, and controlling the tension to only the part that needs it, we reduce the recoil energy almost completely, so we do not get stuck, and can continue to move or strike.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That depends on how you strike, if you strike with the most common way of forming the fist, rolling from the fingers, and striking with the knuckles only, when you are not used to striking firm objects, of course.
However, palms down, the knuckle joint bend 90 degrees,1st finger joint bend 90 degrees, leaving a small space, between fingers and palm, once discribed as holding a small stone, and strike with the flat of the fingers up to the knuckles, not so, the space acts as shock absorbtion, and as long as the wrist is strong, damage to the hand is vastly reduced, yes its a good idea to practice striking a solid object, but in systema (yes that art that reminds you of a microwave oven), we strike muscle and vunerable areas rather than bone on bone, and controlling the tension to only the part that needs it, we reduce the recoil energy almost completely, so we do not get stuck, and can continue to move or strike.

No. It doesn't. We're talking about reality here, not "shoulda woulda coulda". I've treated thousands of people who were in fights. Given that hundreds of them had fractures of the hand and none (or not enough to remember, and frankly I remember unusual cases, so I'm pretty confident it's none at all) had wrist fractures, there is no rational way to disagree with the statement. You are going to break your hand before you break your wrist. Full stop.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not understand the "leaving a small space, between fingers and palm" reference. It takes time but this is something we actively practice eliminating by the curling of the first finger joints filling in the space. You want as solid member as possible.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are going to break your hand before you break your wrist. Full stop.
You hit someone with a bent or limp wrist, its going to break the wrist before the fist.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not understand the "leaving a small space, between fingers and palm" reference. It takes time but this is something we actively practice eliminating by the curling of the first finger joints filling in the space. You want as solid member as possible.

Traditionaly you are correct, and if you train to hit solid objects there should be little chance chance of injury.
The leaving a small space, where fingers wrap around, instead of completely filling the space leave a small gap, enough to fit a pebble. I have been taught like you, the solid object to strike, and the leave a space way, And I prefer the latter.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have already said that I am not a native speaker of English. I understand there are no boxers here? Thank you all for your time. Everywhere you think a conspiracy. In my boxing room there is a ring, pears, barbell gloves should be their own. When I saw boxing simulators, I became interested and wanted to hear your opinion.
Actually yes I boxed for a long time, then kickboxing then Mma never did any specific wrist training, never had any issues throwing with power and never had any issues hurting my hands and I also do most of my bag work without gloves on and again never hurt my hands...so yeah I have no use for that gimmic waste of money

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
@Gangster D it sounds like you had an answer in mind when you posted your question and you're going to debate any answer that you get that isn't that. That's cool, I guess, but I'm out. Training is good, do whatever you think will help you and report back.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What about the shake weight? It strengthens the arms, wrists, and hands.

shake-weight-front_2_orig.jpg

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Heres another suggestion for strengthening the wrists, it is a montage of kwan lee, specifically watch the push up with the movement in the wrists.

OP
Gangster D

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually yes I boxed for a long time, then kickboxing then Mma never did any specific wrist training, never had any issues throwing with power and never had any issues hurting my hands and I also do most of my bag work without gloves on and again never hurt my hands...so yeah I have no use for that gimmic waste of money
Maybe that's why you didn't become a champion. I'm just kidding))

Latest Discussions