The science behind screaming.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are locks that can be executed on the move, taking no more time than a throw. Some double as a throw, so if you miss the lock, you are likely to leave him on the ground, at least. Knee shots are going to be difficult while moving to keep distance and position control against more than one person.

Low percentage.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you train for. I haven't trained that much for finger grabs, in the context you mention. But if I did, I would probably agree and be as comfortable and confident as you. I would tend to go for the larger appendage as easier to grab and keep hold of while I did some kind of damage. Again, I guess it is what you train for.
It’s pretty situational. Sometimes, a juicy set of fingers shows up, instead of a fist. I just can’t resist. If they don’t show up, then gimme the larger limbs, too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I broke a guys arm in a fight once with a hammerlock. Which surprised me because I thought the joint would go first.

Anyway he just kept on fighting. And then my mate tried to wrist lock him and couldnt because his arm had no structure.

(He complained a bit when the cops handcuffed him though)
Damn. That had to hurt later. I’d have expected the joint to give first, too.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only if you insist on the technique. As something you can take when it presents, it’s not so chancy. Have to be willing to bypass them to go for something more reliable when they aren’t fully available, though.

Yeah but a gift is a gift.

I have caught guys in sneaky one armed hammerlocks a bit like that because I will snatch an undertook and they will think turning will get them out.

That is not because the move works that is because some people are idiots.

But I would advise people in a street fight to not go for that arm bar because I absolutely endorse fighting conservatively on the street. If they slip out you have just given up position and there are generally better things to do.

(This is a big MMA thing by the way that lets them compete on the deck with jitsers. Where if you are in a stable position to hit you are where you want to be. You don't have to keep advancing position. It is just really boring in the dojo as nobody wants to be halfway in to a cool arm bar and just finish the dude with knees to the head)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but a gift is a gift.

I have caught guys in sneaky one armed hammerlocks a bit like that because I will snatch an undertook and they will think turning will get them out.

That is not because the move works that is because some people are idiots.

But I would advise people in a street fight to not go for that arm bar because I absolutely endorse fighting conservatively on the street. If they slip out you have just given up position and there are generally better things to do.

(This is a big MMA thing by the way that lets them compete on the deck with jitsers. Where if you are in a stable position to hit you are where you want to be. You don't have to keep advancing position. It is just really boring in the dojo as nobody wants to be halfway in to a cool arm bar and just finish the dude with knees to the head)
this is the very issue i keep debating at the dojo, if half way through a lock move i have them at my mercy and can hit them with pretty much anything, why would i continue a move such as an arm lock, which they may subsequently escape from, when i can count them out with a knee to the face or chest or a elbow to the,face. And do a lower % move in its place,

Latest Discussions