MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's another video explaining the same thing with slightly more information

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's known that we can scare and startle people with a scream. So in terms of screaming when punching, I wonder if that's one of the things screaming does.
That's one of the purposes I was taught. I imagine it would be a little disconcerting if you attacked someone and they yelled loudly at you while countering. I don't know how much it would help, but I'll take whatever help I can get.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This makes sense to me when I looked up fear.

Documentary on fear

So if there's a way to trigger the fear within a person, then the only thing left is to figure out how to do it and hope that the person's fear reaction is more flight than fight. At which point does the fear changes to fight or at what point does fear forces fight.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there is also a frequency factor. when police get shot you will often hear them screaming like a little girl calling for help on their radio. this is not to disparage them but rather just pointing out that when the adrenaline starts pumping due to a life threatening situation the vocal cords go higher, i have heard it called chipmunk voice.
while on the contrary aggressive sounds are lower than usual. perhaps a lower pitch triggers the auto response in the brain to think the threat is bigger.

This post angered me.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you get attacked by multiple people you may not have the option to "beat-one and fight the next"

Of course not. But I thought you couched it as if the strategy for your continued holding of an opponent was to be used to add fear against multiple attackers.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
This post angered me.
If your serious, which I think you are. I apologize. It's just that I have seen quite a few body and dash cams where the officer is yelling in a high pitch voice into his radio. Maybe I could have stated that better, but it's what came into my mind. My point was that it is a natural thing that happens when your hurt and adrenalized.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Japanese koryu have known this for centuries.

One of the most feared:

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course not. But I thought you couched it as if the strategy for your continued holding of an opponent was to be used to add fear against multiple attackers.
Nope. Only when applicable. When it comes to conflicts if I can get inside the heads of my enemies then the better off I'll be when the physical fight comes if it comes.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old Chinese saying said, "If you want to fight, you have to see blood. (This is why you should not get into fight if you are not willing to ...)".

Do you think to draw blood is more effective than to make your opponent screaming?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think to draw blood is more effective than to make your opponent screaming?
Not sure. One deals with vision and the other deals with hearing. I personally would be ok with blood as long as it wasn't mine. I've busted my head open 3 times in my life and the first time, the pain was worse than the blood. I don't recommend running full speed and headbutting concrete. The other 2 times were what I would call soft impacts where it just felt like I bumped my head. I saw blood both times and that didn't bother me. If I was stabbed then it would depend on where I was cut and how I was cut.

From my personal experience the screaming has always been worse. I've seen blood before and normally I'm find because I react to the size of the wound more than I do the blood. Screaming for me is different. There was always an element of fear that was attached with screaming. It wasn't just the pain. It was pain + fear (which sucks). Drawing blood would be equally as bad mentally if you saw a lot of blot and then had fear attached to seeing all of the blood. I don't know. I'm thinking there's no clear cut answer as to which is more effective without being specific.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your serious, which I think you are. I apologize. It's just that I have seen quite a few body and dash cams where the officer is yelling in a high pitch voice into his radio. Maybe I could have stated that better, but it's what came into my mind. My point was that it is a natural thing that happens when your hurt and adrenalized.

No worries, I’m just tired and catankerous. And I knew what you meant.

Pardon me now while I drown some kittens.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old Chinese saying said, "If you want to fight, you have to see blood. (This is why you should not get into fight if you are not willing to ...)".

If other attackers see it, it may be.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It has always been my plan that when fighting multiple people, that I should make the first guy that attacks scream as if he's dying. My theory is that screaming is unnerving and a person screaming in great pain would at the very least change the focus from kicking my butt to being more concern with why their buddy is screaming in so much pain.

So today on my roku I watched a video about a recent study on the science behind screaming. I haven't had time to read the full study but the findings were very interesting. The Roku played an audio file based on the science. They played 2 tones that were the same tone but one was altered to increase the roughness of the tone. I didn't like the rough sounding tone. Long story short, scientist believe that screaming is a natural survival instinct that is so deeply rooted in humans that it affects us in a negative way. It actually increases fear in us on a chemical level. I'm looking forward to read the research on it.

The science behind screaming.

If fighting multiple attackers they will most likely react more to what they see opposed to what they hear. If I see someone's arm broken, knocked down/out, suplexed head first into the ground, etc, my mind is going to reassess the threat for my own survival. If I see someone display such abilities I will regard them as a much higher threat and my survival sense will not want me to engage.

Audio is much more subjective. For example; in Kali my instructor demonstrated a hard block on a student to disarm him. He fell to the ground screaming in pain at an extremely high pitch. Not to sound like a cold bastard, but I felt absolutely nothing. Why? I knew what happened to him and he was being over dramatic, an individuals reaction is difficult to use to assess a threat, given everyone reacts differently. He demonstrated the same technique on me, though it did hurt I didn't make a noise. Other people are able to sustain major injuries and never scream at the pitch you are speaking of, some only make subtle noises, again, people are too different to go off of auditory reaction alone.

I do think the article on screaming is interesting though

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For example; in Kali my instructor demonstrated a hard block on a student to disarm him. He fell to the ground screaming in pain at an extremely high pitch.
I'm willing to be that the scream he made was not the same scream he would have made if he thought his life was in danger. Sort of like how we laugh at a guy screaming on the roller coaster, but we don't laugh when we hear a scream that sounds like someone is in real distress.

The researched talked about our ability to recognize screams.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I fight differently. The first thing in my play book is to instill fear, anxiety, or uncertainty. I have more of a chance to instill fear than to knock a group of people down as quickly as possible, which only works if they come one at a time. If they jump you then your plan to knock one down and move the the next goes out of the window. If you get a well coordinated "pack of humans" then you can forget about knocking them one down quickly.
you are either a super duper ninja killing machine or you have no idea about fighting multiple attackers, you have a few,seconds to take them out,, 2 or 3 five at the most, by which time another one has jumped on your back, having their friend screaming as you are waving his broken arm about will if anything encourage them to come to his aid,

the only techneque that has a,chance of success, unless you are a ninja killing machine, is punch and move so that you are only in range of one attacker at once, as soon as one manages to tie you up, then you have lost

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are either a super duper ninja killing machine or you have no idea about fighting multiple attackers, you have a few,seconds to take them out,, 2 or 3 five at the most, by which time another one has jumped on your back, having their friend screaming as you are waving his broken arm about will if anything encourage them to come to his aid,

the only techneque that has a,chance of success, unless you are a ninja killing machine, is punch and move so that you are only in range of one attacker at once, as soon as one manages to tie you up, then you have lost
This (except that "throw and move" will also work, especially if you manage to throw them their friend). I don't want to be attached to the screaming guy, because I don't want them coming in on a rescue mission. If he's screaming, I want him screaming over there somewhere, so they can protect him and stay away from me all at once.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This (except that "throw and move" will also work, especially if you manage to throw them their friend). I don't want to be attached to the screaming guy, because I don't want them coming in on a rescue mission. If he's screaming, I want him screaming over there somewhere, so they can protect him and stay away from me all at once.
yea, Il have that, throw and move works as well

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you are either a super duper ninja killing machine or you have no idea about fighting multiple attackers, you have a few,seconds to take them out,, 2 or 3 five at the most,
I have already stated that there isn't much time once the fighting starts. This is only when the attack has started. I have already said as much. Like 1 vs 1 there is a confrontational phase where things will either escalate or de-escalate. This phase can either be only 1 or 2 seconds or it may be a minute. This phase of the conflict can be lengthen by moving so that you are always out of their "set up range" which is the range in which the group begins to sync. Examples of what I'm talking about.

Instilling fear into your opponent happens before the fight. This is nothing new about it. It's just easier to do before the fight than when in the fight. And if you can cause enough uncertainty within their ranks then you won't have to fight at all. I know this first hand, which is why I've been able to avoid the times where I could have been jumped. The only difference between instilling fear as a group and as an individual, is that the individual is at a disadvantage so he or she has to walk a fine line between looking tough and being top dog.

This is the idea situation but it's not a guarantee. Even if you are moving and punching all it will take is for 2 people to sync up and rush in or for 1 person in the group to catch your blind side. The best scenario is to keep out of attacking range period which will give you more time to get into their heads. Also remember that getting into people's minds doesn't always mean that you trying to scare them. Sometimes you are just trying to talk them out of the fight. The only thing that is constant is that the more uncertain a group is about attacking you, the more likely they won't attack. I know this from personal experience. Uncertainty causes indecisiveness. Indecisiveness delays or prevents the attack.

Once the fights starts you have to go all out. It's not a sparring match anymore. You have to cause pain and you'll need to do it often. Once the attack begins you need to instill fear in the group that is attacking you. This will help improve your chances of making it out.

A dangerous snake is still a dangerous snake even when it's retreating. In other words. playing on people's uncertainty and fear doesn't require that you stay in the same place to do it. But if you get tied up, you'll either take the fetal position or you'll have to grab the first limb that you can get and try to damage it. If you are fighting against 2 or 3 you may have a chance to actually break away which is preferred if that opportunity comes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have already stated that there isn't much time once the fighting starts. This is only when the attack has started. I have already said as much. Like 1 vs 1 there is a confrontational phase where things will either escalate or de-escalate. This phase can either be only 1 or 2 seconds or it may be a minute. This phase of the conflict can be lengthen by moving so that you are always out of their "set up range" which is the range in which the group begins to sync. Examples of what I'm talking about.

Instilling fear into your opponent happens before the fight. This is nothing new about it. It's just easier to do before the fight than when in the fight. And if you can cause enough uncertainty within their ranks then you won't have to fight at all. I know this first hand, which is why I've been able to avoid the times where I could have been jumped. The only difference between instilling fear as a group and as an individual, is that the individual is at a disadvantage so he or she has to walk a fine line between looking tough and being top dog.

This is the idea situation but it's not a guarantee. Even if you are moving and punching all it will take is for 2 people to sync up and rush in or for 1 person in the group to catch your blind side. The best scenario is to keep out of attacking range period which will give you more time to get into their heads. Also remember that getting into people's minds doesn't always mean that you trying to scare them. Sometimes you are just trying to talk them out of the fight. The only thing that is constant is that the more uncertain a group is about attacking you, the more likely they won't attack. I know this from personal experience. Uncertainty causes indecisiveness. Indecisiveness delays or prevents the attack.

Once the fights starts you have to go all out. It's not a sparring match anymore. You have to cause pain and you'll need to do it often. Once the attack begins you need to instill fear in the group that is attacking you. This will help improve your chances of making it out.

A dangerous snake is still a dangerous snake even when it's retreating. In other words. playing on people's uncertainty and fear doesn't require that you stay in the same place to do it. But if you get tied up, you'll either take the fetal position or you'll have to grab the first limb that you can get and try to damage it. If you are fighting against 2 or 3 you may have a chance to actually break away which is preferred if that opportunity comes.
you have changed in the entirety, you were previously suggesting standing there waving there friends broken arm about whilst he screams, you have now seemingly abandoned that for the bad idea it was

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you have changed in the entirety, you were previously suggesting standing there waving there friends broken arm about whilst he screams, you have now seemingly abandoned that for the bad idea it was
If you are able to grab the guy and break something and his friends don't attack right away then stand there with their friend in pain and in your grasp. The reason I won't let go at this point is because I now have someone I can cause pain. It's one less person that can fight (assuming I broke something and I'm using that to cause pain). I also have something that I can put in between me and my attacker. If they do attack cause more pain to the guy, put him in the way of the incoming attack, handle the next guy that comes. If you can give the next guy the same treatment then do so. If not then keep your mobility until an opportunity to give pain comes up again (I didn't think I had to spell it out in such detail).

If you get jumped and swarm to where you can't punch or move, then grab the first limb that you can and cause as much pain as you can and don't let go until you are sure that you have cause enough damaged to that arm or limb to either make the guy scream or make the guy pull away from the fight and not return.

If the group swarms you, then you aren't going to go anywhere. If they get position on you they will strike you while you lay in fetal position. Once you are in fetal position you won't be able to grab anything because you will be out of range. If you are still standing when the swarm hits then you'll be able to grab something especially if you got entangled in the process of being swarmed.

Latest Discussions