The Russian System Guidebook

OP
R

RMAX.tv

Near all Scott's articles and all of his books speak to lifestyle, psychology and health. Not Sport. Vladimir and Scott come from different backgrounds which is why people usually make this incorrect sport/combat distinction. Vladimir has helped many sportsmen of many styles. Scott has helped many combatants (his courses are now part of US Army.)

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had heard through the grapevine that the Airforce was interested in creating some kettlebell training. However, this is the first I've heard of the Army doing anything of Scott's..

OP
R

RMAX.tv

Contact SSG. Matt Larsen, US Army Combatives School, Ft. Benning, GA, author of the new US Army Combatives Field Manual for the information released to public. All other information will remain classified to public until current conflict concludes.

OP
R

RMAX.tv

After war, we shall see big boost in support and awareness of Russian martial arts because of this.

Furtry

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RMAX.tv
Near all Scott's articles and all of his books speak to lifestyle, psychology and health. Not Sport. Vladimir and Scott come from different backgrounds which is why people usually make this incorrect sport/combat distinction. Vladimir has helped many sportsmen of many styles. Scott has helped many combatants (his courses are now part of US Army.)
As I said, My Observations . Congrats on the Army gig.

Furtry

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey RMAX, not to rehash old news but...:D
Scott Sonnon is being referred to as COACH Sonnon by his close friends. Now are the friends referring to 'coach ' as in Dr.-Phill-esq-life-coach or the more commonly known figure we all see in sport?
Not that there is something wrong with being a coach, as I used to be one:D .
But there is a difference between what Valdimir and Scott do. That being, Scott is mainly SPORT enhancement. Vladimir teaching mainly real world conflict resolution/survival.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With all do respect, none fo Valdimirs stuff refers to "sport", at least not anything that I have read about or seen on tape, or heard from his students who crosstrain in FMA. That doesn't mean that his concepts couldn't apply to sports, but I think that to make a blanket statement that Systema is all for sport is completely inacurate, because it seems to me that its completely combative.

Also, lets not embelish the military thing. Your secret Russian killing techniques are not "classified" because that just isn't the way that it works. I think that it is great that Sonnon is teaching some of our U.S. Soldiers effective methods, yet there is no need to imbelish the situation. It is what it is.

PAUL