The right martial art for me

Kyosanim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello I am a first degree black belt in TKD, and I am looking to try a new art. I have looked at judo a lot and it looks promising though I'm not so sure its the right art for me. I am hoping the good people on here will be able to help me figure out if this is the right art for me, or if I should try Jujutsu instead.

I want whatever I learn to be applicable to self defense, and grappling sounds like it would be a nice change of pace.

What are your thoughts? What are the real differences with judo and jujutsu?
What are their goals, and what is the focus of both? TKD focus's on improving character, and on striking. What is their focus?

Is judo just a sport?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jujitsu would be a great second art or maybe Hapkido. I have always enjoyed Judo even though I have not taken it formally in over ten years.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hapkido may be worth a look. I train with a guy thats a 4th dan tkd and went and trained hapkido as well for a few years. He seems very well rounded as a martial artist and seems to have most ranges covered.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you mean BJJ when you say JuJitsu or the classic style. If the latter than I think Hapkido makes more sense since at least the korean terms and culture will be the sme helping you only focus on the style itself.
If its BJJ vs Judo I think its about what you want to focus on. I think Judo is better for takedowns and clearly BJJ for Newaza (ground work).
Don't know your age but the ideal training for me would be BB in Judo. BB in Hapkido and then any BJJ you can squeeze in.
But that's just an opinion : )

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
what you like better may depend more on the school or teacher than the system. Asking what is better for you is like asking whether you will like vanilla or chocolate ice cream better.

A couple of points of note.
A grappling ast can complement a striking art.

The founder of Judo, codified his system from Ju Jitsu in order to make a safe competitive sport. For self defense, you may not want to misssout on techniques hwich are not allowed in judo(which is not to say xperienced practitioners don't know them. )

Ju Jitsu will have a much more developed groundwork curriculum than Hapkido, and it will likely have most if not all the joint locks.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"the ideal training for me would be BB in Judo. BB in Hapkido and then any BJJ you can squeeze in."

What I meant was... In addition to TKD : )