The Ridge Hand

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently had an extended senior moment in another post relating to a certain hand strike/block. That got me thinking about some of the other hand strikes, in particular the Ridge Hand. How/where/when do you use it? What do you consider the positives and negatives of this technique?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to be clear - can you define ridge hand for me please?

I'm senior sometimes too :D

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing. In my school, we have a basic that includes a block, and a ridge hand strike, but I don't see much practical application of the technique.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for clarification, are we talking:

15291505508591915050241.jpg

?

If we are, I have thoughts - and I like that 'tool'...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use it frequently. Because it's a looping movement, like a hook, it's good for wrapping around the guard, especially if they protect by covering. In such a case, targeting the atlantoaxial joint works very well. And of course, that is an excellent knock out strike.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently had an extended senior moment in another post relating to a certain hand strike/block. That got me thinking about some of the other hand strikes, in particular the Ridge Hand. How/where/when do you use it? What do you consider the positives and negatives of this technique?
Mainly the throat or the nose would probably be the best targets for it. You could also hit the ribs I guess

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's what I'm thinking (the pic above) then neck, jaw, temple, floating ribs, clavicle (with a diagonal down strike) are all good too.

Get the hand and arm position right and it's very powerful.

Get it wrong and you can easily break your thumb or wrist...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My father’s a mechanic, and I grew up in his shop. If there’s one thing I learned, it’s the following...

Use the right tool for the job. The best tool in the world is pretty much useless if you’re not using it for what it’s intended for.

I’d use a ridge hand for places my fist couldn’t get into very well, at odd angles, etc. I think it would work great at getting the neck while used as a hooking or better yet a whipping motion. Side of the neck, back of the neck, throat, etc., depending on your and your opponent’s position (or where his neck is at that moment).

I see it demonstrated and used in a point fighting tournament (he stopped it before it landed) coming down to the top of the skull. The opponent’s head is usually straight down. I don’t like that because I think there’s better strikes and targets to use. Maybe it’ll actually be a devastating and killing blow if used full force, but I doubt it. The top of the head is pretty strong.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The top of the head is pretty much the last place I'd aim for...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My father’s a mechanic, and I grew up in his shop. If there’s one thing I learned, it’s the following...

Use the right tool for the job. .

A corollary that you may have to use tools that are available if the "right one" is not. For instance. Certain parts of your hand may be injured. You may still have other weapons albeit less optimal ones (under ideal conditions) available.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to be clear - can you define ridge hand for me please?

I'm senior sometimes too :D

A hand strike with the palm down, thumb straight and even with the index finger. The strike is with the area from the thumb joint to below the middle joint of the index finger.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it's what I'm thinking (the pic above) then neck, jaw, temple, floating ribs, clavicle (with a diagonal down strike) are all good too.

How true. I unexpectedly had to break four boards with a ridge hand for my 3rd Dan. I made the break but thought for sure I had broke my thumb. Luckily not so.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always tuck my thumb under and use the area from my wrist to the bottom of my thumb joint, especially for breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like Dirty Dog said it is an excellent knock out strike. The circular nature lends to great power and when hitting the temple, ear, jaw, etc. it generally leads to a knock out.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In sparring I teach combination using the same hand. Back Fist them reverse knife hand using minimal re chamber. The goal is to create the opening by varying the angle of attack. If Backfist is blocked / parried, the blocking / parrying hand leaves an openig and is moving the opposite way it needs to, in order to intercept the reverse knifehand.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Agree. As @JR 137 said, the top of the head is a very hard target. It a structurally unsupported part of the hand to strike with when using the motion of a ridge hand. However, it does increase one's arsenal and also like the motion as it is akin to a hook.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use it frequently. Because it's a looping movement, like a hook, it's good for wrapping around the guard, especially if they protect by covering. In such a case, targeting the atlantoaxial joint works very well. And of course, that is an excellent knock out strike.

Agreed. You can also tighten that arc and still use it to strike the side of the neck. Both have their uses.

My instructor will position you during sparring and hit you with a double ridgehand to the front and back almost at the same time. He likes to call it the "Chester Backster". Does very funky things to your posture depending on which is high and which is low. Street application, its almost like a clothesline. You are getting hit in the throat and lower back, or the abdominal area and the back of the neck.

Latest Discussions