Historyofkarate

White Belt
Reaction score
The Karate Tapestry – Chapter 3 By Robert Hunt

There's a beginning somewhere. We seek it out, like Paul Harvey used to say, for "the rest of the story". Of course, there is no real beginning, just the hazy starting place we choose. But, we want to understand it as far in the past as possible. … Continue Reading ›› There’s a Beginning Somewhere

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
......and welcome to MT.

octavianulici

White Belt
Reaction score
I have identified the source of common methods of martial arts called Indo-European period in about 6000 years ago. For this, we compared the original styles, Pancratiu and jujitsu, mainly. I noticed that the two martial arts have many common techniques. I write a book: "MARTIAL ARTS: The first began. Very Short Introduction.

brief introduction. "(Translation is mine and does not guarantee accuracy for English). Watch: Google Play or Amazon.com. If you are interested in the topic, you can contact me. ([email protected])

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How can you compare to Pankration (which is what I think you mean by Pancratiu) when it hasn't existed for ages? Also, compared to which jujutsu style? There probably never was just one style of jujutsu that all others have split from and even if there was, how do you know it's still the same now as it was way back centuries ago.

octavianulici

White Belt
Reaction score
"Pancratiu 's name according to the Greek language, the" Pankration ". Pankration was introduced as a sport at the Olympics in 648 BC, so it is much earlier. In my book I reproduced a scene from Greek pottery from 1800 BC. Modern Pankration is something that trying to replicate these fight scenes. Some note in my book Tomb of Beni Hasan, 1500 BC (Beni Hasan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). My book is not well written in English, but remember exactly why martial arts began, even as we know them today, 6,000 years ago.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can you compare to Pankration (which is what I think you mean by Pancratiu) when it hasn't existed for ages? Also, compared to which jujutsu style? There probably never was just one style of jujutsu that all others have split from and even if there was, how do you know it's still the same now as it was way back centuries ago.

Modern Pankration is an attempt to recreate an Ancient Greek Martial Art based on descriptions in ancient text and artwork (pottery, panel, wall painting and frescos, statuary etc.)

Pankration: A Deadly Martial Art Form from Ancient Greece

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, I know, it's a zombie art that doesn't have much to do with whatever it was all those centuries ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Resurrected from death :D

LOL

Ahh well then I would just say that we can never really know how similar or different it is from the original. Especially when it comes to "grappling arts" they are often simply variations on a theme, using the same principles of leverage and the like. As an example, if you video taped a "traditional" Jujutsu competition, a Judo, Catch Wrestling etc. The people wearing the same "gear" and no indication what they were practicing, then selectively edited the videos, I don't know if anyone could tell the difference.

Latest Discussions