The Push Kick

T

ThuNder_FoOt

I was wondering for those whom may use it... do you execute it more as a means of attack? or a means of set-up?

I used to use it as more of an attack, but now I use it more towards set-ups. Examples of this kick would be a front push kick- executed like a front kick, but with more thrusting power. Or a side push kick-same def.

OP
W

white dragon

I use it as a form of attack, not a setup, there's too much commitment to the kick to use it as a fake. Actually the main time I'd use it would be to cover distance, other wise if they were close enough I'd use a front kick as it's easier to follow up on and maintain balance and control.

OP
B

BlastU

I'm only a a purple belt (in real life) can someone tell me what a push kick is in an elaborate detailed paragraph or sentence? I've never heard of it, but I have a brief assumption about it, it's a kick that pushes people or things? :D

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya BlastU.

LOL. That was funny. Anyways, a push kick (the way I know it) is a front kick (front thrust kick in TKD) without the "snap". You throw your hips forward into the kick instead of snapping the kick. It does "feel" like a push, but with a lot more power. If done right, you can do some damage to an attacker, specially if you aim for the mid-section.

I hope this helps. Someone else can prolly explain it better than me LOL. I'm better a showing in stead explaining.

OP
W

white dragon

well I'm more of a shower than explainer too, but I'll help if I can. Basically, it's similar to a front kick, as karatekid said, but the way I've been taught is to bring the knee right up to the chest with the lef bent and then push forward with the hips as you extend the leg. You're hitting with the whole of the foot, not just the balls of the feet like a normal front kick. Works best on the hip area I find.

OP
K

kickyou

A push kick is not to be a powerful kick.The definition of a push kick is to put a stationery object into motion.It is simply to put distance between you and your opponent.If you want to use power with the kick then it would be a snap kick or a piercing kick.A thrust kick is used when you want to do serious internal damage. I hope this helps

OP
W

white dragon

I don't completely agree with that, although I do agree the kick can be used in different ways, the most common way I'd use it is as a setup technique, pushing on the opponents hips and using that to jump from.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I don't really agree with that statement either. I think a push kick can be done either way. In Muay Thai, they use a very effective powerful pushkick without snapping at the knee.

Oh yeah, just to add... a push kick is not only limited to a frontal push kick. Does anyone else use the sidekick version of the push kick? I find this to be a really good set-up for any kick pretty much. An example of this could be a side push kick (executed like a sidekick), and continue on with a jump back kick. Any comments?

OP
S

sweeper

I don't practice TKD but I have used push kicks on people's knees, if you do it right you can take someone down that way.

OP
W

white dragon

Thunder_Foot -

we're taught the side push kick variation. There's also a variation on the normal push kick where you turn the foot over at an angle, making it harder for the opponent to dodge, but it's executed in the same way.

OP
B

Blacktiger2186

I use it as a set up for my back kick.:asian:

OP
F

fissure

The push kick should really be called the Stamp kick.Imagine your motion of stamping down on a bug.Alter the path on the kick to horizontal instead of vertical and you have a so called push kick. Very powerful,very hard to counter with common TKD turning kicks- the counter attacker usually gets hit in the lower back, sending him to the floor.
:EG: