The Problem with Karate

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by KennethKu
If they have a hard time dealing with grapplers, that is b/c they are more Karate stylists than true Karate-ka.

Every grappler knows he will just eat a few whimpsical strikes to take you down. Once you are in his territory, he dominates.

"whimpsical" strikes?.......I don't think so....at least not by me.
Also, while we are standing he is in "my" territory.

It used to be that makiwara was compulsory. I wander how many dojo in the West bothers with it any more these days.

I have never heard of it as "compulsory" in Okinawan/Japan......and only some not many use it here.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The "whimpsical strikes" comment was in reference to the stylists who can't punch their way out of a paper bag, not to you.

The makiwara comment was derived from what others have asserted.

In The Essence of Okinawan Karate-Do, Master Nagamine asserts, "I do not know of any karate men who do not hit the makiwara."

Masatoshi Nakayama, when questioned about his training under Master Gichen Funakoshi, replied, "The training sessions under Master Funakoshi were very strict and rigid......and this was always followed by intense practice on the makiwara ..."

Choki Motobu, in his book Okinawan Kempo explains, "The method of using the makiwara developed at the Shuri Castle...makiwara training was the central focus point of their daily practice..."

Not that proves anything , other than that I didn't make it up.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

The "whimpsical strikes" comment was in reference to the stylists who can't punch their way out of a paper bag, not to you.

I don’t think I could fit in a paper bag. ;)

The makiwara comment was derived from what others have asserted.
In The Essence of Okinawan Karate-Do, Master Nagamine asserts, "I do not know of any karate men who do not hit the makiwara."
Masatoshi Nakayama, when questioned about his training under Master Gichen Funakoshi, replied, "The training sessions under Master Funakoshi were very strict and rigid......and this was always followed by intense practice on the makiwara ..."
Choki Motobu, in his book Okinawan Kempo explains, "The method of using the makiwara developed at the Shuri Castle...makiwara training was the central focus point of their daily practice..."
Not that proves anything , other than that I didn't make it up.

I see what you mean now…………sometimes things get misconstrued on the Internet.
That sad part about the makiwara is many people don’t do it anymore and of those that do end up hurting themselves from improper use and thereby propagating the myth that hitting the makiwara is bad for you.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

lol Mr Kenneth n if u try the paper bag this it's hard to tear apart in one punch n i m dead sure to tear apart anyone with my punches :D...
it happened when i thought i had decent punches(could get KOed in one punch)my teacher asked me to punch on Newspaper(in India the news paper quality is not that good except for the Entertainement part :D) n guess wat i couldn't punched my way outta paper... i was purely embarrased n then i started working on it...
it's very hard to do it even if u hav good punching form ...
That sad part about the makiwara is many people don’t do it anymore and of those that do end up hurting themselves from improper use
hmm i hav seen ppl getting hurt using makiwara for punching(powerful) practice, but from wat i know it's very much about concentration/focus part of it not very sure tho...
any info?

-TkdWarrior-

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan .....That sad part about the makiwara is many people don’t do it anymore and of those that do end up hurting themselves from improper use and thereby propagating the myth that hitting the makiwara is bad for you.

ikken hisatsu is not a popular goal, I suppose.

OP
Y

yilisifu

Sadly, you're probably right. Nowadays, it's about winning trophies and that sort of thing. Most people likely won't even know what you're talking about.

My students still practice the old way.

OP
J

JDenz

And I have never had any trouble with a karate guy or Kungfu guy or a traditional Japenese JJ guy.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by JDenz
And I have never had any trouble with a karate guy or Kungfu guy or a traditional Japenese JJ guy.

I think we have just proven it's the individual and not the art. ;)

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

I've worked the makiwara, and occasionally, I HAVE hurt myself... but that was my fault, not the board's. And I'm only 20... speaks volumes about how some dojangs are a lot better than others in terms of the types of training they let you do... heheh... and I'd add my own comments to the idea of taking a few hits, but I've already said my piece on that... except to say that I for one prefer not to sound like Rocky Balboa in Rocky V after he's taken one too many shots to the head.

Avoidance usually beats dogged persistance in a fight... unless of course it's nukes you're throwing around, since doing a sidestep probably wouldn't help you then, but I don't remember my instructor teaching me how to push little red buttons... that skill was kind of assumed to be possessed by all but the really unco-ordinated. And then again, I've never seen any styles that teach nuking beyond cooking courses on microwave safety. :p

--Cliarlaoch

PS: Forgive my randomness, I feel goofy right now.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

It is the individual. Some grapplers probably havent had trouble with Strikers and vice versa.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

“Victor comes from thousands of hours of training meeting one moment of opportunity.”

A sign I saw on the wall of my Gym

Latest Discussions