The Phaser Explained

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recall somewhere (in my infinite reading of Sci-fi mags, books, novels, et al) that the phasers and blasters (of Star Wars) were comprised of plasma... in fact I think the History Channel's show of "The Science Of Star Wars" talked about that...
But this guy's explanation does seem plausible.

Now... question is... how is all of that powered and contained within the various hand-held devices of Star Trek's universe... from the cigarette pack sized hand-held models of the original series (which were also clipped on to a handled mod for more traditional weaponry to the big clunky models used in the Next Generation...?

Like to see the video on that.

In other words... we see what it's made of but how does it all work??

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the power requirements that boggle my mind more than anything else.

The Warp Core in the Enterprise's engine I can accept - it's good and BIG and engine-roomy :D.

But a power source that's the size of a big battery that can be used in a hand held energy-weapon is harder to take on.

Because of the existence of the Replicator's and the Transporter it has always been clear that in the Star Trek universe we have conquered the matter-energy-energy-matter conversion that is the gateway to so much. It's actually one of the things I've always had to 'ignore' in the series' as if you can do that, you can pretty much do anything.

But leaving that aside, then how you power a phaser is clearly done with matter-energy conversion rather than matter-anti-matter annihilation.

"Clearly" of course comes with the proviso that ... Dammit Jim! I'm an economist, a historian and an engineer, not a theoretical physicist! :lol:.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's the power requirements that boggle my mind more than anything else.

The Warp Core in the Enterprise's engine I can accept - it's good and BIG and engine-roomy :D.

But a power source that's the size of a big battery that can be used in a hand held energy-weapon is harder to take on.

Because of the existence of the Replicator's and the Transporter it has always been clear that in the Star Trek universe we have conquered the matter-energy-energy-matter conversion that is the gateway to so much. It's actually one of the things I've always had to 'ignore' in the series' as if you can do that, you can pretty much do anything.

But leaving that aside, then how you power a phaser is clearly done with matter-energy conversion rather than matter-anti-matter annihilation.

"Clearly" of course comes with the proviso that ... Dammit Jim! I'm an economist, a historian and an engineer, not a theoretical physicist! :lol:.

Clearly of course, you have way too much time on your hands....

Latest Discussions