The Older Martial Artist

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hang in there CC! I've had 5 surgeries (3 on my arms and both rotators). It comes back but you have to work for it and listen to your body and work smarter. Let yourself fully heal! :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! Five surgeries and you're still in? That gives me hope... :)

Ceicei

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Five surgeries and you're still in? That gives me hope... :)

Ceicei

Yes, in it for life. That's what sets us apart from pro fighters who very often retire and let themselves go. We just keep training. If your still a part of Jeff Speakmans org, you have a lot to look forward to!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
At the risk of being called "whippersnapper", as I'm only 37, I'll chime in. I started training as a child and the injuries have accumulated. Being a martial artist for 28 years coupled with 13 years in the Army have beaten me up pretty well. Still I train, though because it is inherently who I am at this point.

What I notice most is twofold.

1. I don't heal nearly as quickly anymore. I used to be able to shrug off pulled muscles, bumps, and the like in no time. Now it seems if I pull a muscle I regret it for days. I miss being able to bounce back easily.

2. I have lmore patience with a lot of the random martial arts world b.s. out there. I sed to get seriously worked up over the silliest things. Kids wearing black belts, musical kata, gymnastics in karate tournaments. Who got promoted when and by whom, self-promotions, association politics, instructors with ego trips and the like. I have developed a lot of detatchment over the years. I glad for it. How others train and, aside from my seniors and students, how I am viewed doesn't concern me a great deal. I wish I could have understood this 10-15 years ago. I would have been much better as an instructor.

I am hopefull when I read accounts like most of the posts in this thread of guys and gals training for 40, 50, or more years. Hopefully I'll be one of those.

Mark

P.S. I am also hopefull that by the time I have 60 years in the Art that we will have developed Holodecks. The training possibilities are pretty cool.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my family started, I was 16 and my father was 50 and an ex weight lifter. What with school, the navy and life in general I had several hiatises from training. Now I'm back at almost 58 and I've gainged even more respect for my dad. The workouts don't always feel good and I spend more time on the ground than I used to but it's gradually comming back and I'm learning to compensate. I spend most of the class with a huge grin on my face and I feel great after a workout. I will never be as agile or as supple as I was when I was a teenager but I carry the adult strength of surviving all of llfes curve balls and that edge keeps me going when a kid might quit. And now I can be grateful everytime I do something well rather than complacent. For the youngsters who may read this. If you love MA, don't let life get in the way. Wherever you are, find some place to train and keep acquiring skills. Who knows; Someday you may just be a Grand Master with much to teach.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the risk of being called "whippersnapper", as I'm only 37, I'll chime in. I started training as a child and the injuries have accumulated. Being a martial artist for 28 years coupled with 13 years in the Army have beaten me up pretty well. Still I train, though because it is inherently who I am at this point.

What I notice most is twofold.

1. I don't heal nearly as quickly anymore. I used to be able to shrug off pulled muscles, bumps, and the like in no time. Now it seems if I pull a muscle I regret it for days. I miss being able to bounce back easily.

2. I have lmore patience with a lot of the random martial arts world b.s. out there. I sed to get seriously worked up over the silliest things. Kids wearing black belts, musical kata, gymnastics in karate tournaments. Who got promoted when and by whom, self-promotions, association politics, instructors with ego trips and the like. I have developed a lot of detatchment over the years. I glad for it. How others train and, aside from my seniors and students, how I am viewed doesn't concern me a great deal. I wish I could have understood this 10-15 years ago. I would have been much better as an instructor.

I am hopefull when I read accounts like most of the posts in this thread of guys and gals training for 40, 50, or more years. Hopefully I'll be one of those.

Mark

P.S. I am also hopefull that by the time I have 60 years in the Art that we will have developed Holodecks. The training possibilities are pretty cool.

You Whippersnapper

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here's what I think of being an older guy in fighting arts and sports. Check out this link. The third pic from the top is an acquaintance of mine here in Tokyo. He was a successful amateur boxer when he was young. He skipped turning pro and focused on building a career. But he never gave up training. At 53 he started fighting pro in a small promotion called BoxFight where all the fights are 3 round boxing matches (with a few martial arts tweaks, like allowing spinning backfists). He is now 2-0-0 with 1 KO as a pro, beating guys decades younger. The moral of the story? You'd be surprised what you can do in middle age and beyond when you train smart and set reasonable goals.

Latest Discussions