The Official 2012 Olympic Judo Thread

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/06/us-judoka-disqualified-from-olympics-for-marijuana/

U.S. judoka disqualified from Olympics for marijuana
Published August 06, 2012Sports Network
LONDON, ENGLAND – United States judoka Nick Delpopolo has been disqualified from the Olympics after testing positive for marijuana.

Delpopolo has already competed in London, finishing seventh in the men's 73- kilogram category. He made it to the quarterfinals before losing.

In a statement provided by the U.S. Olympic Committee, Delpopolo said his positive test was caused by his "inadvertent consumption of food that I did not realize had been baked with marijuana" before the games.

"I apologize to U.S. Olympic Committee, to my teammates, and to my fans, and I am embarrassed by this mistake," his statement said. "I look forward to representing my country in the future, and will re-dedicate myself to being the best judo athlete that I can be."

The USOC's statement said Delpopolo was disqualified from the Games by the IOC.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It looks like the Egyptians did not look at the schedule.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...o-wrestle-forfeit-matches-104719313--oly.html

I remember reading in black belt about something similar happened to a Judo competitor at the 1996 Games in Atlanta. He got lost because he had no idea
how to use the public transportation system. When he finally arrived, he was disqualified. I think he was a contender for a medal.

Does anyone know the name of this athlete?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard on the news last week about a US weight lifter who barely made weigh ins because he overslept...

Kind of amazes me that, with all the time and work and everything that goes into getting there, that anyone in the Olympics could have that sort of mistake happen...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats to Kayla Harrison she really has overcome a lot and achieved so much!

I will say that unfortunately the matches that I saw were pretty boring. To much stalling and not enough action. One match I witnessed had one player get a minor takedown if you could even call it that and then he stalled the rest of the time. I hope there were better matches but with NBC I only saw a couple. If anyone has some impressive links that would be great!

Latest Discussions