The No 1 hand

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At a seminar back in 2009, the guy running it said Tan sau is the No 1 hand in Wing Chun.

Thoughts?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think there is a "No. 1 hand" in Wing Chun. We talk about the 3 main "families" of "hands" as being Bong, Tan, and Fook.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find tan da a pretty useful technique in sparring to:

-close the distance between me and the opponent
-defend against wide hooks

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tan sau is the No 1 hand in Wing Chun.
Agree! If we compare

1. Bong - risk to expose elbow,
2. Tan - very aggressive,
3. Fu - too conservative.

I will say 2 > 3 > 1.

Tan Shou exist in CMA system other than WC as well.

The Tan Shou can be used as a wedge that can penetrate through your opponent's "front door" and separate his arms apart.
wedge.png

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At a seminar back in 2009, the guy running it said Tan sau is the No 1 hand in Wing Chun.

Thoughts?

Absolutely. I find myself extending the ol' tan sau almost constantly trying to get by, what with association dues, rent, equipment purchases .... Oh wait, did you mean in fighting?

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. I find myself extending the ol' tan sau almost constantly trying to get by, what with association dues, rent, equipment purchases .... Oh wait, did you mean in fighting?

Doesn't seem to work for me.
I only ever get a pak sau in return. :(

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score

Thoughts?
There are so many things one can do with this question as it is like saying the heel is the No1 thing in walking. Sure I agree it is vitally important as it is asking hand and one way to feel an opponent's intent and also one method to control the center-line on either side (Left or right). It is also a great transition from bong sau again to gain/maintain the center-line. In addition you find tan sau in all three empty hand forms and on the dummy in numerous places, so certainly it is a vital integral part of Wing Chun, but I do not look at anything as being No 1 or else I need to look at a No 2 and No 3 and No 4, then I am likely thinking too much and not training it all without prejudice. The No 1 thing in Wind Chun is training often, train hard, and follow the direction of a good instructor.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Without the other hands tan sau alone isn't wing chun. All are important, if there is any one thing most important in wing chun in my opinion it would be the understanding & use of the elbow and forearm structure supported by the hip and body not the hand.

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting answers, the person who stated that was Gary Lam, he followed it with an analogy that Tan is like a rifle, you aim it and follow/track your opponents with it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting answers, the person who stated that was Gary Lam, he followed it with an analogy that Tan is like a rifle, you aim it and follow/track your opponents with it.
For learning - beginner into intermediate level - I agree. On the street, no way I'm sticking my arm out like a rifle and tracking the opponent. Good way to get it cut.