The movie that made Martial Arts

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this movie made more of an impact on martial arts than any other, even the old Bruce Lee movies. And it made the black gi the bad guy gi lol.

Yes or No
someone make it a poll if possible please.

macchioralph302.jpg

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I think this movie made more of an impact on martial arts than any other, even the old Bruce Lee movies. And it made the black gi the bad guy gi lol.

Yes or No
someone make it a poll if possible please.

macchioralph302.jpg

You too can create polls if you are a supporting member.

M

Mark Weiser

Sorry but I have to say ECK!!!

The only thing cool was the sound track lol!!

I liked the second one better than the first anyway. A better storyline.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh man...as a baby of the 80's let me tell you that this movie rocked....I would say it's impact on martial arts was absolutely huge...

The best part was that Pat Morita was a computer programmer that quit his job to become a stand up comedian...talk about a career move...

"sweep the leg..."
"but sensei..."
"you gotta problem....sweep the leg..."

man...good times

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was finally a movie that showed the positive aspect of MA. And showed that it was within reach of everybody. I was on last weekend, brought back a lot of memories.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninja Turtles mopped the floor with The Karate Kid ;)

Karate Kid maybe made it more appealing for parents, but I'd guess Ninja Turtles got more kids wanting to train.

Both where very important in turning the martial arts world into a kid dominated market though.

M

Mark Weiser

I must be showing my age What is Ninja Turtles ? Oh you mean all those creatures placed on lunchboxes, PJ's, Halloween costumes, underwear, bedsheets, etc.....

Please as a Parent during those times "GROAN!!!"

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
I must be showing my age What is Ninja Turtles ? Oh you mean all those creatures placed on lunchboxes, PJ's, Halloween costumes, underwear, bedsheets, etc.....

Lol, then your in agreement, the Ninja Turtles had a unnatural influence over kids :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I liked Karate Kid! It had some awesome points - the use of martial arts for self-defense instead of mis-use and the recognition of bad leaders, the importance of repetitive motion for muscle memory and training (wax on...wax off), the realization of adults as people instead of idols, internal motivation and drive, the willingness to not quit - even when hurting.

Still all good lessons we seem to forget too soon....

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Lol, then your in agreement, the Ninja Turtles had a unnatural influence over kids :D
hey now...I grew up watching that show every saturday morning...if that channel was changed, it was grudge match time. wish I still had all those friggin' figures...the originals are actually worth a bit along with the Desert Storm versions.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
hey now...I grew up watching that show every saturday morning...if that channel was changed, it was grudge match time. wish I still had all those friggin' figures...the originals are actually worth a bit along with the Desert Storm versions.
me too ;)

S

shaolinchi

The ninja turtles rocked. I also have to say that GI JOE definitely got kids liking the martial arts too. You have to remember they had Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, both were incredible ninjas. I know that didn't have as big of an influence, but It definitely had some!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The movie that really got things going was Five Fingers of Death. If not for it, The Karate Kid, the Ninja Turtles, the Power Rangers, and the others would have died on the vine.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
Oh man...as a baby of the 80's let me tell you that this movie rocked....I would say it's impact on martial arts was absolutely huge...

The best part was that Pat Morita was a computer programmer that quit his job to become a stand up comedian...talk about a career move...

"sweep the leg..."
"but sensei..."
"you gotta problem....sweep the leg..."

man...good times

I remeber thinking he was a bit of a hottie........sad I know

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
remeber thinking he was a bit of a hottie........sad I know

Pat Morita? that's alright...i think we've all had our crushes on him....

just kidding....seriously though..who here hasn't done the whole deal with the "crane kick" at least once?

don't lie...

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Hey, I liked Karate Kid! It had some awesome points - the use of martial arts for self-defense instead of mis-use and the recognition of bad leaders, the importance of repetitive motion for muscle memory and training (wax on...wax off), the realization of adults as people instead of idols, internal motivation and drive, the willingness to not quit - even when hurting.

Still all good lessons we seem to forget too soon....
I agree totally! Especially because it was was simple philosophy about what the art represents. To me, a great teaching tool.:asian:

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Pat Morita? that's alright...i think we've all had our crushes on him....

just kidding....seriously though..who here hasn't done the whole deal with the "crane kick" at least once?

don't lie...
Sorry, no crane kick here, only chicken kicks!:)

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:

And safe to say they're now soup somewhere. (Thank goodness):rolleyes:

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Karate Kid was a valuable movie in the growth of the martial arts, but lets not forget the first karate movie, and yes, it was even more influential then 5 fingers of death, BILLY JACK! with Tom Laughlin and Bong Soo Han.
But nothing was as important as Enter The Dragon.

Latest Discussions